Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Badged by a family member, then I get schooled on professional courtesy!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Badged by a family member, then I get schooled on professional courtesy!

I stopped a car from New York Yesterday for 89 in a 75, I make contact with the violator and staring me right in the face is a cute little family badge! I talk with him and explain the reason for the stop and he begins to school me on professional courtesy and how his COUSIN is a policeman from New York!

I ask for his information, at this point he's in disbelief that I'm even asking for it and then go back and write him for his speed. I come back up and talk with him and now he's really on a rant about how if I came to New York, I wouldn't be treated like this and on and on!

I tried to maintain my bearing, but after about 30 seconds of trying to get him to sign the ticket, I couldn't help myself. I told him I wouldn't be caught dead in New York with all the Liberals and any self respecting man wouldn't either! I also told him I would kick any member of my family's butt for pulling what he was pulling and if he didn't sign the ticket he would see how things are done in a real state.

I couldn't help myself, I had a complete lack of self control!

I sure hope that anyone who has family that has one of these, takes the time to explain a few things to them!
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck"

If my dad ever found out I pulled something like that with his badge, especially in his county, he would make sure I got the maximum punishment necessary. That guy is a DB and needs to learn how the world works here in reality.

Comment

LOL his cousin is a cop??? It's one thing if its his wife or kids. A cops brother or sister is really pushing the courtesy line but a cousin is just silly.

Comment

Family badges are real big on the east coast, as are PBA cards (whatever the f*&k those are). I would be somewhat, but probably not ok, with a spouse saying hubby is a copper, but I don't know how it would go. The only way I ID myself is when I say "my off duty gun is here". They pick up on off duty and ask for credentials.
        Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Comment

Punk is lucky he got off with only a citation. I would have had him call his cousin and explain to the cousin why he badged a nice police officer who was doing his job in stopping him for driving at excessive speeds.
          Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by HI629 View Post
            Punk is lucky he got off with only a citation. I would have had him call his cousin and explain to the cousin why he badged a nice police officer who was doing his job in stopping him for driving at excessive speeds.
            I would bet the cop in NY would be ticked his family got a citation and would want to yell at the stopping Officer. Things are different up there.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmg View Post
              I would bet the cop in NY would be ticked his family got a citation and would want to yell at the stopping Officer. Things are different up there.
              Maybe so, but I get yelled at on a daily basis by folks for all kinds of stuff. Some upset NYPD officer yelling at me over the phone wouldn't phase me much. Actually had a kid call his uncle in Chicago once (I was in Hawaii at the time and we were 6 hours behind). The kid was able to get his uncle on his cell phone at 2am. The uncle was a bit pizzed at me, but more so at the kid. I explained to the uncle that I was just checking to see that the badge was legit and he didn't buy it online or something like that. In the end, the uncle thanked me and screamed at the kid for several minutes while I wrote the cite.

If one of my family members pulled that crap with my creds, I'd be pizzed.
              Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Saw one of those family badges on a traffic stop once. Wasn't my stop but I was the back up unit that responded. This was a guy who lived in Pa but his son was an NYPD Aux member. Up until that day, I had never heard nor seen such a thing. He got off on a warning mostly cause he never gave us an attitude, but was advised that showing that badge means nothing. Anyone can flash a tin in their wallet they bought off ebay. Without an ID to back it up, its just that.. a piece of tin.

Comment

WTF is a Family Badge? My wife got a ticket for speeding (10 mph over) in a suburb of my city. In TX you don't get a free pass just because you know a cop (or are married to one for that matter).

Comment

It ****es me off when someone flashed a badge like it "diplomatic immunity" or something. Discreetly let me know who you are, show some common sense, and unless you seriously need a cranial extraction, you will soon be on your way.

May God help anyone who I find out has attempted to ride on my tin. If you didn't earn it, you damned sure don't get the benefit of it.
                    Last edited by Lady Blue; 02-20-2014, 02:08 AM.
                    In God We Trust
                    Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

As stated, its a HUGE East Coast thing. HUGE

I've heard stories from NYPD folks that guys have had their station house lockers tossed out into the streets because they jammed up family members on citations.....and the rest of the Station House found out and didn't want their station as being labeled as anti-family.

And no, I'm not kidding....

Comment

This is something I'll never get - the whole "I know so and so" or "I'm related to a LEO" thing. I have plenty of friends in my local agencies in LE, corrections, probation, etc. I've never once played that card though, cause 1. it's stupid, and b. they'd kick my *** (rightly so) if I threw their names out there like that. Why can't people just man up when they get pulled over for a cite?

Comment

Originally posted by JustAJ View Post
                          This is something I'll never get - the whole "I know so and so" or "I'm related to a LEO" thing. I have plenty of friends in my local agencies in LE, corrections, probation, etc. I've never once played that card though, cause 1. it's stupid, and b. they'd kick my *** (rightly so) if I threw their names out there like that. Why can't people just man up when they get pulled over for a cite?
                          umm -- 1. followed by b. -- ?

Comment

Originally posted by Tmg View Post
                            C'mon now. Things may be different up north in various respects, but don't generalize all of us. Yelling at or lecturing other cops for stops certainly isn't the norm for me or any one I work with.

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                            As stated, its a HUGE East Coast thing. HUGE

I've heard stories from NYPD folks that guys have had their station house lockers tossed out into the streets because they jammed up family members on citations.....and the rest of the Station House found out and didn't want their station as being labeled as anti-family.

And no, I'm not kidding....
                            These stories are true, though not as common as they once were. The mentality of looking out for each others families stems from the bad old days of the 70's when not just cops, but their immediate families were fair game for violence. It's been that way ever since.

One example of how bad it was: http://nypost.com/2014/02/18/2-black...eeking-parole/
                            sigpic

"I pity guys like you, I truly do. Everything you own and have you can thank the job for and still you despise it. I don't understand how any man can choose a career, hate it from the beginning, not have the balls to leave, and then complain about it once he's retired."

-Thee Rant (surprisingly)

Originally posted by NYCTNT
                            DF,

Why do you bother?

Comment

The other night I got one of this tiny family badge flashed on me, and the guy was only a friend of that cop, not even a family member.

On the other hand, I hate when they tell me after I issued the ticket that they are direct relative to a fellow LEO.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4657 users online. 292 members and 4365 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X