Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should i even appeal hpd?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Should i even appeal hpd?

    I passed all phases for the HPD recruiting. I was signed off by everyone in the chain of command and only needed the Sign off by the chief,and was given written and verbal invitation to the orientation on Sept.28.I was called by my BI on Sept.27 and told that the chief did not sign off on my file and dropped me for 2 years. Wowwww. Went from invited to orientation to dropped for 2 years out of the blue. My BI said I could appeal as soon as I got my Letter in the mail. My question to everyone is........ Should I even do the appeal since the denial came all the way from the top at the chief's office? Or would it be a waste of time appealing a decision by the chief himself?

    Any insite would be helpful.

    Was told the reason for denial was :
    $15 DVD theft in 2003 ( was 18 years old )
    4 Speeding tickets in 2003-2004 (was 18/19 years old )
    License suspension in 2010 from speeding tickets in 2003-2004 .
    (I have not received a speeding ticket since that last one in 2004 when I was 19, I am now 28)

  • #2
    I would imagine your license suspension is what hurt you the most, being as it is fairly recent.

    Comment


    • #3
      That could be. But their requirements state that your DL needs to be clear for 2 years. Mines is at 2 and a half year. And I was thinking that if there was an issue with that than someone in the chain of command would have stated a problem during sign offs.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by hpd_hopeful View Post
        That could be. But their requirements state that your DL needs to be clear for 2 years. Mines is at 2 and a half year. And I was thinking that if there was an issue with that than someone in the chain of command would have stated a problem during sign offs.
        Yeah, but when you factor in the other incidents, it probably just wasn't worth it to him. Just put some time between yourself and those issues. I'm not sure what the appeal process is like, but if the big man says no then I can't see it going anywhere else. We've had plenty of people here that pass through everything only to land on the Chief's desk and he nixes it.

        Comment


        • #5
          Fair enough. Thanks for the insight .

          Comment


          • #6
            Reading between the lines...........

            Originally posted by hpd_hopeful View Post

            Was told the reason for denial was :

            4 Speeding tickets in 2003-2004 (was 18/19 years old )
            License suspension in 2010 from speeding tickets in 2003-2004 .
            At risk of pointing out the obvious, the state usually doesn’t wait six to seven years after you got four speeding tickets and then suspend your driver’s license out of the blue. Something else had come into play, such as you failed to appear in court on one or more of those citations, or you failed to pay a fine associated with them, or you failed to comply with a condition of your sentence in connection with the violations and the Department of Motor Vehicle finally caught up with you.

            If that was the case, I suspect it was your continuous, six to seven year history of non-compliance that got you the boot as someone who was unreliable; irresponsible; unable to follow simple directions; had a demonstrated history of unwillingness or inability to obey the law; or any combination of those disqualifiers, take your pick.
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by L-1 View Post
              At risk of pointing out the obvious, the state usually doesn’t wait six to seven years after you got four speeding tickets and then suspend your driver’s license out of the blue. Something else had come into play, such as you failed to appear in court on one or more of those citations, or you failed to pay a fine associated with them, or you failed to comply with a condition of your sentence in connection with the violations and the Department of Motor Vehicle finally caught up with you.

              If that was the case, I suspect it was your continuous, six to seven year history of non-compliance that got you the boot as someone who was unreliable; irresponsible; unable to follow simple directions; had a demonstrated history of unwillingness or inability to obey the law; or any combination of those disqualifiers, take your pick.


              You are really smart and know your stuff.
              When I first called DPS in 2010 to find out the reason why my DL was being suspended they told me it was for having 4tickets in a 12 month span in 2003 and 2004.I asked how could they suspend my DL so many years after they said because during that time in 03/04 they were doing a system change and were backed up.
              You were right when you said I did have a failure to appear . The last ticket in 2004 "which I thought I paid" turns out I did not and from that ticket they sent me a court date in 2009 that I failed to appear. So what you are saying sounds like a valid reason. So given what you just told me that could mean that going up the chain of command for signatures the sergeants,lieutenant,captain,and vice chief did not think it would be an issue , but obviously the chief did.

              So do you think it is even worth a try to appeal since the head man denied me?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by hpd_hopeful View Post
                You are really smart and know your stuff.
                When I first called DPS in 2010 to find out the reason why my DL was being suspended they told me it was for having 4tickets in a 12 month span in 2003 and 2004.I asked how could they suspend my DL so many years after they said because during that time in 03/04 they were doing a system change and were backed up.
                You were right when you said I did have a failure to appear . The last ticket in 2004 "which I thought I paid" turns out I did not and from that ticket they sent me a court date in 2009 that I failed to appear. So what you are saying sounds like a valid reason. So given what you just told me that could mean that going up the chain of command for signatures the sergeants,lieutenant,captain,and vice chief did not think it would be an issue , but obviously the chief did.

                So do you think it is even worth a try to appeal since the head man denied me?
                I don't think an appeal will do you much good. In my neck of the woods what you describe suggests inattention and unreliability and would be a DQ on the background investigation. If you have already been through the background, no doubt your BI is getting hammered for missing this.
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

                Comment


                • #9
                  Appealing could be career suicide. When you apply somewhere else, they want to know where else you've applied. When they see you appealed the HPD chief's decision, they will see you as a troublemaker and will be reluctant in hiring you. JMHO
                  Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Rush817 View Post
                    Appealing could be career suicide. When you apply somewhere else, they want to know where else you've applied. When they see you appealed the HPD chief's decision, they will see you as a troublemaker and will be reluctant in hiring you. JMHO
                    I see your point. Maybe ill just apply elsewhere or just wait it out. Life has disappointments but one must just continue to strive.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by hpd_hopeful View Post

                      Was told the reason for denial was :
                      $15 DVD theft in 2003 ( was 18 years old )
                      4 Speeding tickets in 2003-2004 (was 18/19 years old )
                      License suspension in 2010 from speeding tickets in 2003-2004 .
                      (I have not received a speeding ticket since that last one in 2004 when I was 19, I am now 28)
                      Although I know you cannot change your past, you have to think of how your app measured into weighing who they could utilize to fill the academy spots in relation to your file vs other applicants.

                      Theoretically, in your situation:

                      Lets say there were 5 Academy spots left, and the Chief received 12 packets. Out of those 12, lets say 7 of them had no past trouble in anything, of course, they will grant the 5 spots to those out of the 7 clear applicants that strike them as the best qualified. You have to remember that at the end of the process, they choose from all applicants, and it is a strong possibility that you had competition in this process who had no priors of any sort, and that was the leverage they needed to get that open spot over their fellow applicants. It's just business, and the Chief is only going by the books IMO. It is best to respect the Chief's decision, thank them for their time, accept this Honorably; and then try either reapplying later, or applying with several other Agencies. Just my 2 cents.

                      I wish you the best of luck, and hope things workout best for you.
                      Life is a pretty lame game, but at least it has good graphics.

                      It's simple, if it jiggles, it's fat. -Arnold Schwarzenegger

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I wouldn't appeal, because IMHO, there's probably a good reason why the chief didn't pick you, wether that be issues with your background or simply another candidate was chosen over you. If the latter is true, you probably have no chance in the appeal, and I agree that it could hinder you from other departments in the future.

                        Obviously there's more to the story...and while your background isn't the worst, it certainly isn't the best. I would keep applying elsewhere, and just take it as a loss. Heck, IMHO you're lucky they even told you WHY they dropped you. I've NEVER been told, and I've been through ~14 different department's processes.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by JDGM0710 View Post
                          Although I know you cannot change your past, you have to think of how your app measured into weighing who they could utilize to fill the academy spots in relation to your file vs other applicants.

                          Theoretically, in your situation:



                          Lets say there were 5 Academy spots left, and the Chief received 12 packets. Out of those 12, lets say 7 of them had no past trouble in anything, of course, they will grant the 5 spots to those out of the 7 clear applicants that strike them as the best qualified. You have to remember that at the end of the process, they choose from all applicants, and it is a strong possibility that you had competition in this process who had no priors of any sort, and that was the leverage they needed to get that open spot over their fellow applicants. It's just business, and the Chief is only going by the books IMO. It is best to respect the Chief's decision, thank them for their time, accept this Honorably; and then try either reapplying later, or applying with several other Agencies. Just my 2 cents.

                          I wish you the best of luck, and hope things workout best for you.
                          Thanks for your reply. My mentor is a retired narcotics detective for hpd and that's pretty much how he explained it. He said even though I was qualified with BA in criminal justice and no arrest of any kind at the end of the day there might have been other applicants who had the same thing with absolutely nothing in their background at all.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Hang in there, if you want this career bad enough you'll find it. Heck, my history is probably considered worse than yours, but every department I've applied at I've been hired. I started out at a small department and that allowed me to lay a good foundation.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by hpd_hopeful View Post
                              Thanks for your reply. My mentor is a retired narcotics detective for hpd and that's pretty much how he explained it. He said even though I was qualified with BA in criminal justice and no arrest of any kind at the end of the day there might have been other applicants who had the same thing with absolutely nothing in their background at all.
                              Just keep trying. Apply at any Agency you can, and never give it up. If you keep trying, there is a very high probability that you will eventually get hired by one, and will get the chance to prove yourself , and lay a good foundation in LE.
                              Life is a pretty lame game, but at least it has good graphics.

                              It's simple, if it jiggles, it's fat. -Arnold Schwarzenegger

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 5343 users online. 291 members and 5052 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X