300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So not fair...

If someone runs from us on a traffic stop we can't chase. Yet DPS can shoot people from helicopters. I'm officially jealous.

http://www.policeone.com/border-patr...es-at-vehicle/

I have to imagine there is WAAAAAAAY more to the story than just being a pursuit.
    FlyingPig1
    Forum Member
    Last edited by FlyingPig1; 10-26-2012, 01:56 PM.

Comment

I get the feeling that may not have been their intention possibly... just based on what little information provided. When I first read the story it reminded me of a border wars show I watched where DPS often would fly above chases and shoot out tires of vehicles fleeing police. Interesting stuff.

Comment

I was at LaRue's range day last year and a DPS helo came out with some of their shooters and they performed a little demonstration... VERY f***ing impressive. High winds, low altitude, fast speed, and the shooters still managed to pop steal targets accurately....
        “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

BROWNSVILLE — Radio chatter from a state trooper helicopter shooting that killed two suspected illegal immigrants near La Joya Thursday indicates the sharpshooter was attempting to disable a fleeing vehicle.

A voice in the audio, which was published Friday by KRGV in the Rio Grande Valley, is heard saying he's “going to try to shoot one of the tires out,” and “we have a clear spot.”

A voice is soon after heard saying “108 has gone cold, cease fire,” and, “EMS, get out here fast.”

The Texas Department of Public Safety confirmed an officer “discharged a weapon” after being called by Texas Parks and Wildlife to assist in the pursuit of a pickup suspected of illegal activity.

At about 3 p.m. Thursday, a Texas Parks and Wildlife game warden tried to stop a pickup in western Hidalgo County, DPS spokesman Tom Vinger said Friday.

Officers thought the vehicle was a “covered' drug load,” Vinger said. Smugglers in Hidalgo County often stack pickups full of drug bundles, cover them with a tarp and try to race to stash houses before getting noticed. Little effort is made to conceal the drugs.

“DPS aircraft joined the pursuit of the suspected drug load, which was travelling at reckless speeds endangering the public,” Vinger said. “A DPS trooper discharged his firearm from the helicopter to disable the vehicle. Once the vehicle was stopped, it was determined that no drugs were on board the pickup truck. Six suspected illegal aliens were detained, and one fled the scene and was later captured. Two other occupants of the vehicle are deceased, and one occupant was injured and taken to a local hospital. “

ACLU of Texas Executive Director Terri Burke has called for a full investigation from the state.

“If initial reports are accurate, the DPS has starting executing persons who they merely suspect of the civil offense of unlawful entry into the United States,” Burke said in a prepared statement Friday.

“We are eager to hear the facts in this case. What we know so far raises disturbing questions,” she said. “Why is a state game warden involved in enforcement of federal immigration law? Why is a game warden in dangerous high speed pursuit of people who were suspected of nothing more than a civil offense? And where's the ‘public safety' when a trooper in a helicopter opens fire on unarmed persons in a vehicle on a public road?”

Parks and Wildlife spokesman Mike Cox said Texas game wardens routinely patrol border and other areas and are fully authorized to respond to activity such as immigrant smuggling.

“We have 532 game wardens across Texas and all of them are fully commissioned Texas peace officers, they have the same statutory authority as highway patrol troopers, actually they have a little bit more,” he said. “We routinely work the border; we're all over the border, so nothing unusual about that.”

DPS has taken an aggressive role on the border in recent years, increasing the number of troopers there, deploying boats and dispatching helicopters with designated marksmen armed with powerful rifles.

As a result, the agency has been involved in a large number of high-speed chases — sometimes ending in what troopers call “splashdowns,” when smugglers drive their vehicles into the Rio Grande to escape U.S. law enforcement.

Cartel operatives on the Mexican side often use boats to try to recover contraband from the smugglers' trucks.

The agency's director has said it's been forced into the role because federal agencies aren't doing enough to secure the border and because smugglers have become more aggressive, resorting to splashdowns, using other vehicles to block pursuits and throwing homemade spikes at officers.

But their methods have been questioned, including decisions to shoot at fleeing vehicles from patrol cars and helicopters, a tactic eschewed by other law enforcement agencies.

The Rio Grande Valley meanwhile has seen a spree of deadly accidents involving immigrants packed into smuggling vehicles, including several rollovers over as drivers try to outrun Border Patrol or other law enforcement

Comment

Originally posted by JTShooter View Post
            I was at LaRue's range day last year and a DPS helo came out with some of their shooters and they performed a little demonstration... VERY f***ing impressive. High winds, low altitude, fast speed, and the shooters still managed to pop steal targets accurately....
            LaRue OBRs with SureFire suppressors too. Doubly jealous. They made good hits on pumpkins.

Comment

They may be top notch when it comes to shooting from helicopters, but this is going to end very badly for the troopers involved! I can all but guarantee that there will be some policy change after this as well..

From what I'v heard and I've read at least 7 news articles about it, there will be a firestorm coming down on DPS for this. In no way, shape or form do I see how this can be justifued...

You can be the best officer in the state for 15 years in a row, you make one mistake and the last 15 years mean nothing, this is that type of mistake. I will be very surprised if this case isn't picked up by the fed gov't and everyone involved doesn't get crucified..
              K9krazy21
              Forum Member
              Last edited by K9krazy21; 10-27-2012, 12:20 AM.
              "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck"

Comment

Well, Holder is looking for any reason to crucify someone and get the heat off of him.
                I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Originally posted by K9krazy21 View Post
                  They may be top notch when it comes to shooting from helicopters, but this is going to end very badly for the troopers involved! I can all but guarantee that there will be some policy change after this as well..

From what I'v heard and I've read at least 7 news articles about it, there will be a firestorm coming down on DPS for this. In no way, shape or form do I see how this can be justifued...
                  So far it sounds like Texas is standing behind its Officers.

"I can't find any place or anywhere protocol wasn't followed," said Miller, chairman of the state Committee on Homeland Security and Public Safety. "Looks like everything was done according to DPS policy. It's unfortunate some people died, but I guess the lesson is: don't be running from the law. So there will be no hearing."
                  Running from the cops in a high speed chase is no different that running around shooting a gun. Its not hard to prove Police chases are dangerous and endanger lives. I can see this being easily justified.

Now holder may try to screw over TX but i can see TX putting up a fight.

Comment

Man, it's just bad overall. After listening to the radio traffic on the pursuit, there's no doubt they thought it was a dope load. Not once did they broadcast people being in the bed like any of us would have broadcasted if indeed we had seen people. He truly thought it was a dope load, but of course the illegals are arguing otherwise, just adding fuel to the fire. As much as we think it's cool to shoot from a helicopter, etc, I'm sure the troops involved are going through hell. I hope they aren't indicted because of political pressure. Good luck to them!

Comment

The case was turned over to the Feds... good luck fella's.

Comment

TMG, they really didn't have a choice, DPS has been shooting at cars during pursuits for years! It was only a matter of time before they killed someone accidentally! It's just an all around bad thing to shoot at a moving vehicle unless lifes are in immediate danger and there's no other choice.

These troopers are going to pay the price I fear, even though they didn't know about the people in the bed of the truck.. I wish them the best and hope things work out for them..

"DPS director Steve McCraw said in a statement Friday that he had asked the FBI and U.S. Justice Department's Civil Rights Division to investigate the incident. The Texas Rangers, an elite unit within DPS, had led the investigation of the shooting. McCraw said they will turn over their completed investigation and evidence to federal authorities"
                        "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck"

Comment

For those not familiar with down south, these pursuits are a every day occurrance, even multiple times a day. So far it has just been illegals in my area, but I know adjacent counties have experience the suicide dope loads carring 400+ lbs of marijuana. There are several documented deaths from a chase, but honestly that is the price these illegal immigrants are willing to pay for the promise of a better life. The area between the valley and corpus is know as the "Highway to Hell" because of the thick brush, high heat, dangerous snakes, all type of wild animals, and a very high law enforcement presence (local, county, state, and feds) all over US 77 and US 281. Death rate is high here in the summer and we are the ones having to go find the bodies, bones, carcasas, etc.. of these poor people.

I'm not saying that what occured is right, but accidents do happen and it's all a numbers game. Eventually one shall fall for the sake of "human rights".

USBP is to spread out to thin down here to adequately do their job properly. It's a cat and mouse game and the coyotes do have a huge advantage over us lonely souls patrolling the backroads and highways.

Gov. Perry has elected to try to secure our borders and funnelled troopers, several gun boats, helis to the best of his ability.

It was mentioned a few posts up about it being a civil infraction, I beg to differ. It is a federal crime and once a vehicle starts feeling/evading a Texas Peace Officer, it is now a state crime, felony to be more exact. The lawmakers recognized all this and made new laws concerning human trafficking to better fit what we are experiencing down here, from pursuits, smugglings, property damage, etc..

Hope that Trooper comes out ok in the end, but I feel it might be at a loss, and we all know how the feds can be. They can hurt or kill us blue bloods, but we are not allowed to do the same to them if the justification arises.
                          "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called Sons of God - Matthew 5:9

Comment

You guys don't know DPS's pursuit policy? It's called the 2-2-2 rule.
                            If the chase goes for
                            2 counties, 2 miles, or 2 minutes they will shoot the tires out.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the 2 miles would come first 99% of the time.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4036 users online. 239 members and 3797 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X