Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Becoming a cop in texas?

[Removed by OP]
    Last edited by HolyOrangeJuice; 05-11-2016, 12:30 AM. Reason: [Removed by OP]

Hiring is pretty similar. Some will send you to an academy while others will require you to have your license to apply. You would have to pay and go to an academy.

If you get hired as a Trooper, they have their own academy that you will go to.

No length or residency required by the state, but some agencies may have them.

Comment

I made the move from the Chicago area. If you do enjoy the different seasons and the snow you probably won't get much of it down here. You don't get that distinct fall, winter, and spring.

Comment

Sure you do Corona, it just may be about a week long.
        I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

I would really make an effort to visit the state during July or August. My other half is from Wisonsin and she despises the summers. We are about 25 degrees warmer than yall are right now (at least the Milwaukee area) and we wont have a break in the heat until October. Like it was mentioned in another post...if you are a fan of seasons and snow...then you may be in for some major disappointment. It sounds like you may still be pretty young....may give you plenty of opportunity and to visit and stay with family down here for a few weeks in the summer to get a feel for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudy8116 View Post
            Sure you do Corona, it just may be about a week long.
            You speak the truth Rudy!

52 weeks in year

25= summer (blisteringly hot)
            1= fall (pleasant)
            25= winter aka summer v2.0
            1= spring (pleasant)
            Chris

XBOX Live: Citizen GaKar

http://i36.tinypic.com/1zoxgtc.gif

Comment

Originally posted by corona11 View Post
              If you do enjoy the different seasons and the snow you probably won't get much of it down here
              Come to the Panhandle...we "can" have a little piece of each season in a single day!
              Police are the Thin Blue Line. It is our calling and duty to protect this country not only from outside threats, but from itself!
              Check out my FREE Podcast: The Upper Room

Comment

Well I'm not sure how this will work now. DPS just made a residency requirement to get your TX DL and DPS academy requires you to get your TX DL when you start (at least they did for my class) I'm sure they will have some kind of plan though to counter it.

Comment

[Removed by OP]
                  Last edited by HolyOrangeJuice; 05-11-2016, 12:31 AM. Reason: [Removed by OP]

Comment

Dps stands for the department of public safety and is the department that the state troopers are under. Everybody down here just calls the troopers dps.

Comment

[Removed by OP]

Comment

While it won't necessarily preclude you from being hired, I can speak from experience that you are looked harder upon when you don't have any Texas references local to the area in which your applying. Most departments that I've applied to, enjoy driving to your reference's residence and interviewing them.

I didn't have any. I'm currently in the final stages of a few different departments. Has it prevented me from being hired, that's not yet clear, but I've made it this far. It has however, forced me to explain it on more than one occasion to the same individuals.

But you said you have family moving here, so it could possibly not even be an issue. Just something to think about it. It surely, in no way, should influence your final decision.

Comment

I've been a County Police Officer in MD for 8 years, great benefits, great pay, but the county is getting smaller and the judicial system more liberal. Trying to make up my mind to be a Trooper (specifically in TX) and looking for a DPS that can share experience and answer few questions. Thanks

Comment

[Removed by OP]

Comment

Just know that in Texas, the highway patrol or state troopers are assigned posts based on seniority. You might land in the beautiful hill country to live and land a job with DPS, only to be offered a remote post in the panhandle aka wind swept prairie. You might have to wait a long time to be offered a post where you want to be unless this has changed. I think most troopers start out in drivers license bureaus and enter a waiting list for troop assignments, again based on what becomes available and bid on by seniority. I'm sure one of our resident troopers will correct me if my information is mistaken.

A college class is typically referred to by assigned college credit hours. Most courses are either three or four credit hours per semester, i.e a class involving a lab will probably be four while a writing class may be three. I think your just dealing with different terminology here.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7538 users online. 305 members and 7233 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X