300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luling?

Anyone have the scoop on this place by chance? They hire on a pretty regular basis. Are they constantly firing people or is it one of those deals where the pay is dirt and people are leaving for greener pastures?
    If you got soft eyes, you can see the whole thing. If you got hard eyes - you staring at the same tree missing the forest.

Detective William "Bunk" Moreland from The Wire

This is Not The Answer You Want

I've been there. I know nothing about the PD, but they have great BBQ!!!!!!!!!

http://lulingcitymarket.com/

That's enough to go there!
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

It's probably because it is most likely a town in the middle of nothing.
      I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
        I've been there. I know nothing about the PD, but they have great BBQ!!!!!!!!!
        that was going to be my reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Bounce View Post
          that was going to be my reply.
          Not to hijack the thread, but have you been up the road to Kreuz market in Lockhart? Same type of dining - red wax butcher paper, sawdust floor, painted wood picnic tables inside, no knives.

They have smoked prime rib to die for. The last time I was there I wolfed down a pound in one sitting before I realized how much I had eaten.

Comment

Yep.

My favorite is still Mueller's east of Austin.

Comment

Definitely the best BBQ I've had in Texas... City Market BBQ!

Comment

City Market's really good, but I personally think that Louie Mueller's in Taylor is even better.

Comment

L-1, I have always respected you, but I have a totally new found respect after knowing you have dined in heaven.

As far as Lockhart's BBQ, Kruetz used to be excellent. There was a family fued though several years ago, and the Kruetz name is now attached to another location in Lockhart, and the original location is still operating, albeit under a new name. I've heard mixed reviews on both locations, however.

Now, back to Luling - I'm not sure what the issue is, but I'll make some phonecalls tomorrow and see if I can't drag up some info from a retired LPD officer that still lives there... I know this much - you will be extrememly busy in Luling. I understand they've annexed I-10 too, so they may be working interdiction, but Luling's always been a very blue collar oilfield town.

The location is good though, less than an hour from downtown Austin, San Antonio, San Marcos, & New Braunfels.
                  sigpic
                  Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Comment

I would really appreciate that. Yes the location is what has me interested.
                    If you got soft eyes, you can see the whole thing. If you got hard eyes - you staring at the same tree missing the forest.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasAggieOfc View Post
                      As far as Lockhart's BBQ, Kruetz used to be excellent. There was a family fued though several years ago, and the Kruetz name is now attached to another location in Lockhart, and the original location is still operating, albeit under a new name. I've heard mixed reviews on both locations, however.
                      The original Kreuz is now run as Smitty's.

It's funny, the first time I went to Kreuz at the old location, the food seemed so-so. Now that its moved to the new location, the food seems much better to me (at least the prime rib).

I wonder if Smitty's at the old Kreuz location is part of the Kreuz family (coming out of the feud) or a different owner?

I keep trying to plan a road trip back there for the BBQ and to visit the gulf coast, but the gf has other ideas as to where she wants to go and sadly, Tejas is not one of them. The best I can get out of her is Phoenix at the end of the month and St. Charles, Mo at the end of June to sell at police collector's shows.

Comment

Here is what I can tell you. Some of it from seeing it and some of it from word of mouth.

Luling PD is always hiring because the pay isn't great, so officers get some solid work history and experience then move on. To my knowledge they don't really fire many people, they just move on.

I believe their staffing is around 16-18 officers when full. Patrol is 1 sergeant and 2 officers per shift when full. As with most departments this size, vacation time or sickness means you're running 2 per shift. If you're already short staffed, vacation/sick means someone works their day off to cover. Which I'm sure contributes to their turn over.

They work 12 hour shifts on a 2-2-3-2-2-3 rotation. I'm told their chief is a former state trooper and lieutenant from a Houston suburb who is trying hard to modernize the department. For equipment they have a mix of older CVs and several new Tahoes, AR-15s, Tasers, BDU style uniforms.

The city itself doesn't have much growth potential in the near future. It's somewhere in the mid-5,000 population range and will probably stay that way for quite a while. It's a working class, oil field town, with plenty of dope. My understanding is that they have very little o I-10 actually in their city.

The Watermelon Thump in June is a lot of fun for citizens and a huge pain in the *** for the cops, except maybe for the overtime pay. I'm told that everyone works WT.

What exactly do you want to know and I'll find out for you?

Comment

I don't think I can ask for much more info than that. Thanks alot

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                            The original Kreuz is now run as Smitty's.

It's funny, the first time I went to Kreuz at the old location, the food seemed so-so. Now that its moved to the new location, the food seems much better to me (at least the prime rib).

I wonder if Smitty's at the old Kreuz location is part of the Kreuz family (coming out of the feud) or a different owner?

I keep trying to plan a road trip back there for the BBQ and to visit the gulf coast, but the gf has other ideas as to where she wants to go and sadly, Tejas is not one of them. The best I can get out of her is Phoenix at the end of the month and St. Charles, Mo at the end of June to sell at police collector's shows.
                            They're a brother and sister, IIRC. The brother got the name, but lost the building, the sister got the building but lost the name...
                            sigpic
                            Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Comment

We've been hiring on a consistent basis because we haven't filled all our openings! We haven’t been fully staffed since our new Chief started a couple years ago. In that time, we've had folks resign due to family reasons or other family situations that force them to move on, very understandable. Obviously we want to hire/ retain people who will be pillars in the community, and pull their weight in the Department, some folks have resigned because they couldn’t shoulder the responsibility that comes with this profession and I’m personally glad they made the decision to move on before they got themselves or someone else hurt.

Part of our ‘problem’ is that we're looking for quality applicants and not just warm bodies to burn city gas and look good in uniform. We get applicants, but we're looking for good guys/gals with common sense and a desire to be an asset and a difference maker, not just draw a paycheck. The decision of the Department and our Admin is that we would rather work short than with s**t. (That’s not our politically correct or officially sanctioned Department motto, more of a 'boots on the ground' attitude.) That stance has pros and cons, and on occasion, it certainly takes a toll on us with 'staffing' issues but it's not exactly an area where we're willing to compromise! Believe me- I’ve worked more shifts with the Captain or Chief out than I can remember and they don’t just come out to ‘cover’, these guys are out knocking heads and shagging calls with the rest of us on the front line. (Please refer to my previous comment about not politically correct statements.)

I can mail out or email a 'recruitment' flyer to anyone who’s interested with other specifics about the community/ pay/ benefits/ etc.

It's also suggested that you come ride out with us prior to dropping an application. I’d actually suggest you do that for ANY Department before you apply. Essentially you’re swearing an oath that you would be willing to lay down your life in the line of duty for the community you serve. Now if I ever HAVE to do that, it better be in a community that I at least WANT to be in and not just there because I have to pay bills. Just sayin!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7516 users online. 415 members and 7101 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X