300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Headlights (Non-HID/Xenon)

Do any TX state troopers or Texas traffic guys know exactly what part of the transpiration code is violated with those ridiculously blue halogen headlights. I'm not referring to xenon or hid lights that are factory equipment for some vehicles.

Any help from Texas guys is appreciated.

Well if they're truly blue, then it's unauthorized equipment... only Authorized Emergency Vehicles, and now apparently TxDot vehicles, are allowed to have a blue lamp.
    sigpic
    Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Comment

Look in chapter 547 but I can't tell you exactly where. I just got off of graves and am crashing fast.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasAggieOfc View Post
        Well if they're truly blue, then it's unauthorized equipment... only Authorized Emergency Vehicles, and now apparently TxDot vehicles, are allowed to have a blue lamp.
        547.305 specifies red, white, or blue beacon, flashing, or alternating light as unlawful. A headlight is not a beacon, flashing, or alternating light. Show me where the TTC specifies that a blue lamp is unlawful.

Comment

547.321 Headlamps required
          547.3215 Use of Federal Standard which leads to 49 C.F.R Section 571.108.
          Have fun reading that section.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-200...sec571-108.xml

Comment

I think you are talking about HID lights that are installed in vehicles not meant to have HID lights like F150's. Those are the super bright blue looking lights.

I would love to know what to write these people for too. I hate those. They always blind me.

Comment

Originally posted by Crimy View Post
              547.321 Headlamps required
              547.3215 Use of Federal Standard which leads to 49 C.F.R Section 571.108.
              Have fun reading that section.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-200...sec571-108.xml
              I've skimmed over that and the only reference I can find regarding headlamp color is that they must be white to amber when used as a DRL. If I missed the part where it says blue cannot be used as a headlamp color, please reference the relevant section.

Comment

Originally posted by beavo451 View Post
                I've skimmed over that and the only reference I can find regarding headlamp color is that they must be white to amber when used as a DRL. If I missed the part where it says blue cannot be used as a headlamp color, please reference the relevant section.
                Ya sorry not reading back over that snooze-fest. In general it states that both types of headlights, filament or gas have to emit an opaque white color.

Comment

Originally posted by Crimy View Post
                  Ya sorry not reading back over that snooze-fest. In general it states that both types of headlights, filament or gas have to emit an opaque white color.
                  "Emit an opaque white color"? That doesn't even make sense. I searched your link for "white". It refers to DRL colors, cover colors, and retroreflective colors. A search for "opaque" yields references to a cover used in testing the lights.

Comment

If the vehicle is not new enough or isn't a higher class vehicle, i.e. buick, cadillac and so on. Then the HID lights will not properly fit in the lense. Now this is something that you will have to further inspect during the stop. And the HID lights and blues lights should both fall under the title of unautorized equipment. But fyi, we have been instructed not to make stops based on these headlights, due to so many questions arising about the lights and the large amount of controversy with it all. Hope this helps.

Comment

If you can't find it, dont stop it.
                      "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called Sons of God - Matthew 5:9

Comment

A trooper told me that in their recent in-service were told that HID has to be from the manufacturer and can't be after market. I will get with him to see what chapter they reference the law to.

Comment

Originally posted by iamacop View Post
                          A trooper told me that in their recent in-service were told that HID has to be from the manufacturer and can't be after market. I will get with him to see what chapter they reference the law to.
                          Let us know ASAP what you find out! I hate these aftermarket blinding lights with a passion. I want to find out what offense they are so i can start writing for them!

Comment

I don't have the code in front of me, but we were told at our in-service that if you have a vehicle that had the bright blue lights you can stop them. Have them attempt to go from bright to dim, and if it does nothing then they are illegal and you write them for user equipment not approved. Most of the newer model luxury cars have them and they are fine, but the older vehicles most likely are after market. I will take a look at my in-service stuff tomorrow and see if I can find the code.
                            Texas State Trooper

Comment

Originally posted by TeamHouston View Post
                              I don't have the code in front of me, but we were told at our in-service that if you have a vehicle that had the bright blue lights you can stop them. Have them attempt to go from bright to dim, and if it does nothing then they are illegal and you write them for user equipment not approved. Most of the newer model luxury cars have them and they are fine, but the older vehicles most likely are after market. I will take a look at my in-service stuff tomorrow and see if I can find the code.
                              They are talking about 547.305 and 547.333 which refer to the aiming of the headlights, not the lights being blue. Aftermarket HID kits that only replace the bulb cause problems because the HID arc is different from a filament. Therefore, the reflector or projector that was designed for a filament produces a different and undesirable beam pattern.

The only color that is expressly prohibited from being visible from the front in the TTC is red.

Sec. 547.305. RESTRICTIONS ON USE OF LIGHTS. (a) A motor vehicle lamp or illuminating device, other than a headlamp, spotlamp, auxiliary lamp, turn signal lamp, or emergency vehicle, tow truck, or school bus warning lamp, that projects a beam with an intensity brighter than 300 candlepower shall be directed so that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam strikes the roadway at a distance of more than 75 feet from the vehicle.
                              Sec. 547.333. MULTIPLE-BEAM LIGHTING EQUIPMENT REQUIRED.
                              (2) a lowermost distribution of light or composite beam that:
                              (A) is aimed and emits light sufficient to reveal a person or vehicle at a distance of at least 150 feet ahead; and
                              (B) is aimed so that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam on a vehicle that is operated on a straight, level road under any condition of loading projects into the eyes of an approaching vehicle operator.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2258 users online. 139 members and 2119 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X