300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lubbock PD/Sheriff

I am looking to get into law enforcement, either with detentions or patrol. I have made it on a few waiting lists, but who knows the timeline with budget issues plaguing many cities and counties. I have read up on Lubbock PD and Lubbock County Sheriffs. Any insight on either department? I called both places and the personnel that helped were extremely professional and helpful. Is $15/hr a good salary for a Detention Officer in Lubbock County? Any current Officers willing to give their opinions? Definitely applying for Lubbock PD in January.

Thanks

What's included in the physical agility for Lubbock County SO?
    If you got soft eyes, you can see the whole thing. If you got hard eyes - you staring at the same tree missing the forest.

Detective William "Bunk" Moreland from The Wire

Comment

Only thing i can tell you is LPD are total a-holes during the testing period. Be prepared to do the minimum during the physical test, or they will belittle you.

I chose not to even turn my packet in.

Comment

Glad we went ahead and got the LPD is A-holes comment out of the way...

I have worked for LPD for several years and loved it. The detention officers are paid pretty well at LSO but if you want to make an eventual move to patrol you will take a large pay cut.

LPD is currently taking applications for officers, and i believe the city is also hiring detention officers as well.

send me a PM if you have specific questions about LPD and i will try to get you an answer.
        The Republicans need to shrug off this Christian Coalition noose it has placed around its own neck and recognize the fact that, though they may not realize it, the majority of Americans are actually quite libertarian in their philosophy. They also need to learn to fight once in a while. What a bunch of wimps.
        -Neal Boortz

Comment

Originally posted by jw_pend View Post
          Only thing i can tell you is LPD are total a-holes during the testing period. Be prepared to do the minimum during the physical test, or they will belittle you.

I chose not to even turn my packet in.
          I had this same experience with LPD in 2009. I would say I only came across one or two LPD a-holes during the process, but the vast majority were very abrasive.

I even met a LPD officer at SevenEleven which told me he had been arrested for fighting out side of a bar while drinking under age when he was younger and he still got hired. But if you have anything less than perfect credit they will not hire you. So they will hire you if you have been arrested before but not if you have previously come across hard times financially. Weird...

A few academy's ago they started with 16 recruits and ended up graduating something like 2. (maybe 3, I can't remember). Just seems like there is something fundamentally wrong when LPD had a higher rate of attrition during the academy than SEAL training.

Amarillo is currently hiring and they are very professional and helpful. By the way they started their current academy with 23, and 21 will graduate on Dec 9th. Amarillo will be testing again in the next few weeks, check their website for additional details.

Just don't put all your eggs in the LPD basket. Because 600 will sign up to test and less than 10 will usually graduate the academy, and sometimes its only 2.

But whatever you choose to do, good luck.

Pointblank
          Last edited by Pointblank; 11-19-2011, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RedRaider911 View Post

Didnt mean it in any way, just telling it like it is...or was atleast. The fact that they brag about how many people DONT make it through their academy makes me wonder...why?

Also stating that their academy is the more difficult than DPS, FBI, DEA, was kinda funny. But hey, if they only graduate 2, it might be the truth.

Comment

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet:

LPD and LCSO may be good agencies, but you have to live in or near Lubbock. Who wants to do that?
              sigpic
              Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Comment

Originally posted by RedRaider911 View Post

I wonder why the public/other officers/other agencies think this way about LPD?

I have heard this same thing from more than one person/officer/agency. Does LPD consider this is a problem or is this the mission?

FYI- I have been treated like a King by LCSO.
                Last edited by Jeffy; 11-26-2011, 04:59 PM.

Comment

I havent had any negative interactions w/lubbock SO.

They are about 2.5hrs away and I get to chat w//them via copsync every now again about warrants, suspects etc. All the guys I have talked with have seemed really cool and more than happy to help.
                  Chris

XBOX Live: Citizen GaKar

http://i36.tinypic.com/1zoxgtc.gif

Comment

Originally posted by TexasAggieOfc View Post
                    I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet:

LPD and LCSO may be good agencies, but you have to live in or near Lubbock. Who wants to do that?
                    I'll bite - what's wrong with living in/near Lubbock?

Is their academy really that hard? I watched the entire academy program on YouTube and it didn't seem that hard.

It seems like a pretty good department.
                    "We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles." -- RSGSRT

Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Originally posted by Aerohead View Post
                      I'll bite - what's wrong with living in/near Lubbock?

Is their academy really that hard? I watched the entire academy program on YouTube and it didn't seem that hard.

It seems like a pretty good department.
                      Dirt as far the eye can see. College co-eds that have the highest rate of STD's of any D-I university in the nation. Tumbleweeds. The God-awful wind. Land so flat that a man's dog once ran away. 3 days later he was standing on his front porch and could still see the dog running away.
                      sigpic
                      Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Comment

Dirt as far the eye can see. College co-eds that have the highest rate of STD's of any D-I university in the nation. Tumbleweeds. The God-awful wind. Land so flat that a man's dog once ran away. 3 days later he was standing on his front porch and could still see the dog running away.
                        I don't care who you are, that was damn funny. I especially like the part about the dog...lol.
                        If you got soft eyes, you can see the whole thing. If you got hard eyes - you staring at the same tree missing the forest.

Detective William "Bunk" Moreland from The Wire

Comment

Im pretty close to lbk and its super flat...on the plus side when you get in a pursuit and the guy outruns you, its ok because you can see him for miles and miles haha
                          Chris

XBOX Live: Citizen GaKar

http://i36.tinypic.com/1zoxgtc.gif

Comment

LMAO!!

So I take it not many people run on foot from them?!? LOL

Wow...so not very family friendly...
                            "We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles." -- RSGSRT

Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

[QUOTE=Aerohead;2951057
                              Wow...so not very family friendly...[/QUOTE]

I wouldnt say that. Its as family friendly as any medium to large city with a large college student population. It is brown, windy, flat and dry. But hey, its west Texas. I was there in May for brother-in-law's medical school graduation. I didnt hate it. Seem to be lots of new restaurants and stuff like that. It is the largest city/hub of that area.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7900 users online. 374 members and 7526 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X