Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Houston Police Department... Its been a while.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Houston Police Department... Its been a while.

Hello all, I wanted to start a new HPD thread. It seems like there hasn't been much chatter about Houston (or any department down this way) for some time now.

So any HPD officers, or friends of officers, want to check in? Obviously its a huge department with a number of different stations so everyones experience will be different, but how do officers like it? Good morale? What about room for promotion? Is one stuck on the same shift for 5+ years or do you get to move around?

Anyway, It looks like like they will start the hiring back up come early 2012 and I might throw my hat in the ring... Pay is pretty low but it seems like they have really good benefits. 35 paid days off (7 weeks)?? Is that right?
    http://www.houstontx.gov/police/care...s_&_salary.htm

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by TCU34 View Post
    Hello all, I wanted to start a new HPD thread. It seems like there hasn't been much chatter about Houston (or any department down this way) for some time now.

So any HPD officers, or friends of officers, want to check in? Obviously its a huge department with a number of different stations so everyones experience will be different, but how do officers like it? Good morale? What about room for promotion? Is one stuck on the same shift for 5+ years or do you get to move around?

Anyway, It looks like like they will start the hiring back up come early 2012 and I might throw my hat in the ring... Pay is pretty low but it seems like they have really good benefits. 35 paid days off (7 weeks)?? Is that right?

Thanks in advance!
    I am also interested in applying in Houston. Hopefully the process is going to be open to out of state applicants, I got an email from them saying the last test was only for Houston residents.
    Last edited by slsteiner88; 11-20-2011, 02:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TCU34 View Post
      ...... but how do officers like it? Good morale? What about room for promotion? Is one stuck on the same shift for 5+ years or do you get to move around?

Thanks in advance!
      Most like it, and the most, not all, of the ones Ive heard complain are just whiners.
      Morale is good.
      After 5yrs, youre eligible to take the Sgt exam. In the past 5 yrs, HPD has promoted 4-500 new Sgts (if not more).
      You arent stuck on the same shift for long at some stations. I got F/S eves in less than 2 yrs.
      As of now, you get 20 days of PFT days that you have to use in the fiscal yr, or you loose them. Its makes up for the crappy pay. The new contract reduces the PFT days new hires get after 2012 or 2013.
      You also start of with 4.xxhrs of PTO time each check. The number of hrs increase after 5 yrs of service.
      You can also accrue up to 480hrs of Comp.
      You get shift diff/weekend pay, training pay, Degree pay, etc....

Good Luck!

Comment

Houston definitely has a lot of opportunities. And there's always a lot going on to keep you busy.

I work at an agency that borders Houston. We always run into HPD officers and have a chat with them. They all seem satisfied and you don't hear too much negative.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9450 users online. 351 members and 9099 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
        X