Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Juvenile who ran over Officer will face no charges

From Statesman.com:
    "A teenager who drove a car toward two police officers on East Eighth Street in late May, leading to the fatal shooting of his passenger by one of the officers, will not face criminal charges, the Travis County District Attorney's office said Thursday.

A grand jury completed its review of the incident and declined to indict the teen, officials said. The teen was not named in court documents because he is a juvenile. Police have said he is 16 years old.

His passenger, 20-year-old Byron Carter Jr., was shot and killed by an officer.

The teen drove the car in the direction of two officers, pinning one of them against another vehicle, police officials have said. That officer fired several shots, shooting and killing Carter and wounding the teen in the arm, police said.

In June, the teen was charged with aggravated assault on a peace officer and evading arrest or detention in a motor vehicle.

Officials at the district attorney's office said Thursday that the grand jury declined to approve the charges, finding that there was no probable cause to proceed with a criminal case.

"Obviously, I'm disappointed that an individual who, in the act of fleeing from police, injured an officer and won't be held accountable for his actions," Police Chief Art Acevedo said of the grand jury's decision."

Only in Travis County does something like this happen. Just another case of a terrible Grand Jury not making the obvious decision in preference of letting a dirtbag go free. Insanity. Message clear: try to kill cops in Travis County and nothing will happen to you.

I'm wondering how just the passenger ended up getting shot.
    "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Originally posted by JasperST
    I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

Wow. Clearly you've never had a 3000 lb car run over your partner while driving straight at you. Let me enlighten you: it doesn't happen like it does in TV and movies. Way to completely miss the point.

Comment

Sounds like Travic Co is just about bad as Dallas Co. It's always great when the grand jury feels sorry for the obvious guilty defendant.

Comment

Really? I can understand in a county like this being found not guilty by a trial court, but no probable cause? You have an officer that was pinned by the car and another who fired into the vehicle as a result, but they didn't find enough to take it to trial? I can't say too much though, Dallas County probably would've done the same thing.

Comment

That is disgusting!
            We do not all come to religion over the wandering years,
            but sooner or later we all get to meet God. -- Edward Conlon

Comment

Some people just need to be drug out into the middle of a field and dealt with the old fashioned way.

Sickening...

Comment

Originally posted by USMARINE View Post
                I'm wondering how just the passenger ended up getting shot.
                Take another look. Driver got shot too, but only the passenger actually died.
                "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

If they were in Williamson Co, I believe the outcome would have been extremely different.

Comment

"If they were in Williamson Co, I believe the outcome would have been extremely different."

+1

Comment

Originally posted by The D View Post
                      If they were in Williamson Co, I believe the outcome would have been extremely different.
                      x99999999

Williamson takes a much harder line towards criminals

Comment

This sucks, but I'm actually a little more concerned about the officer. When is he gonna get no-billed? Officers can do their jobs, and what happens to the offenders is out of their hands. But then the officers have to go before the grand jury as well, and sometimes that's what really worries me.
                        "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

Seems like something that would happen here in Cook County (Chicago).
                          "Fighting Crime....Suppressing Evil"

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8350 users online. 319 members and 8031 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                          X