300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #1 Police Academy in Texas

I'm curious to know, what law enforcement agency in Texas has the best, most intense- training and instruction today? Anyone care to state their opinion?

I will be a bit biased. But, Dallas PD with out a doubt.

1) Military style structure, this brings in a brotherhood and sister hood attitude in the start. Trying to do your own thing will cause problems. It doesn't matter how you feel about other races because they and you will depend on them at one point sooner or later.
    2)DT staff - Most have been in DPD longer than I have lived and have been in swat and all sorts of different units. Most of all these are the guys that if you need help with fitness/learning to fight they will help in any way they can. (NO excuse to fail dt unless you just don't try. ) in that case I don't want you working with me anyways.
    3)RBT staff two great officers running it, all have been in shootings and multiple deadly force situations. they will seem to hate you at first but that is just to add some pressure to the scenarios. The RBT is about as real as it gets with out being on the streets, take it very seriously, it might just save a life.

For classes they bring in the most knowledgeable person in the field to teach it. And people that want to tech younger rookies.

You should always be on edge in the academy no easy days. If they say its gonna be an easy day you better eat a light breakfast.

With that being said., I will say the class advisers for the most part are sorry police officers. (Their is a reason they work there. )

I thought it was a great training academy. There were times my limits were pushed, and times I just could not wait for 5pm.

My only experience with other academy's is from talking to buddies that went through regional ones. They got good training, just not the full package IMO. I mean doing 100 burps a day for 2 weeks while reading GO.. because someone was 2 min late is the best way to learn

Comment

Our academy ( Fort Worth) is basically the same as Dallas, military style, lots of PT/DT and a ridiculous amount of classes. I learned more in the 7 months at Fort Worth academy than 5 yrs of college and 5 month POST academy in Mn. Would i go again? hell no, it was the toughest/longest 7 months of my life, but i felt very confident in not only my skills, but the skills of eveyrone i graduated with. Doesn't hurt that it was a paid academy
      In Valor there is hope

Comment

We (Dallas) do have a great academy, but DPS would probably be the most intense. When you know you can't go home at night, or they can wake you up whenever they want it just adds to the amount of stress. I wish Dallas' academy was like that, but the city would never pay for it. Plus, the PT we did was challenging to the people who were out of shape or had never been in an environment like that. I think the most we ever ran at one time was 5 miles. If you played sports in college or came straight from the military it was kind of a joke compared to what we envisioned.
        "Out of every 100 men sent to battle, 10 shouldn't even be there, 80 are just targets, 9 are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a Warrior and he will bring the others back." -Heraclitus

Comment

I'll vote for Dallas, but I too am biased. Marine vet has a great point. Their academy (DPS) is also not as long as DPD's but they do have the all day factor. DPD's was a beat down all the way through and because of that some of my best friends are academy classmates. Hardly a week goes by on patrol where someone doesn't share an academy story.
          It sucked and there were days you just didn't want to go, but you did, you learned and you remember the good times.

Comment

+1 It had good reality based training, but the whole drop and give me 10 pushups got old, especially if you had just come out of the military.

Originally posted by MarineVet89 View Post
            We (Dallas) do have a great academy, but DPS would probably be the most intense. When you know you can't go home at night, or they can wake you up whenever they want it just adds to the amount of stress. I wish Dallas' academy was like that, but the city would never pay for it. Plus, the PT we did was challenging to the people who were out of shape or had never been in an environment like that. I think the most we ever ran at one time was 5 miles. If you played sports in college or came straight from the military it was kind of a joke compared to what we envisioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Scubadiver View Post
              I will be a bit biased. But, Dallas PD with out a doubt.

1) Military style structure, this brings in a brotherhood and sister hood attitude in the start. Trying to do your own thing will cause problems. It doesn't matter how you feel about other races because they and you will depend on them at one point sooner or later.
              2)DT staff - Most have been in DPD longer than I have lived and have been in swat and all sorts of different units. Most of all these are the guys that if you need help with fitness/learning to fight they will help in any way they can. (NO excuse to fail dt unless you just don't try. ) in that case I don't want you working with me anyways.
              3)RBT staff two great officers running it, all have been in shootings and multiple deadly force situations. they will seem to hate you at first but that is just to add some pressure to the scenarios. The RBT is about as real as it gets with out being on the streets, take it very seriously, it might just save a life.

For classes they bring in the most knowledgeable person in the field to teach it. And people that want to tech younger rookies.

You should always be on edge in the academy no easy days. If they say its gonna be an easy day you better eat a light breakfast.

With that being said., I will say the class advisers for the most part are sorry police officers. (Their is a reason they work there. )

I thought it was a great training academy. There were times my limits were pushed, and times I just could not wait for 5pm.

My only experience with other academy's is from talking to buddies that went through regional ones. They got good training, just not the full package IMO. I mean doing 100 burps a day for 2 weeks while reading GO.. because someone was 2 min late is the best way to learn

Pretty much on point. With the exception of one, all of the advisors that were there when I was there were jokes. Even some of the coordinators, but that's neither here nor there. The PT/DT and RBT staff were top notch. We had PT/DT staff members stay late to teach extra stuff after work. Even had one get down on the mat, the day of a class graduation in his class A uniform, to show us something...

I've heard Ft. Worth is the same, just not as long.
              “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

Originally posted by JTShooter View Post
                Pretty much on point. With the exception of one, all of the advisors that were there when I was there were jokes. Even some of the coordinators, but that's neither here nor there. The PT/DT and RBT staff were top notch. We had PT/DT staff members stay late to teach extra stuff after work. Even had one get down on the mat, the day of a class graduation in his class A uniform, to show us something...

I've heard Ft. Worth is the same, just not as long.
                how long is yours? 7 months seemed like forever...
                In Valor there is hope

Comment

8.5 months... could have cut it down to 6-7 if it weren't for some of the feel good TCLEOSE stuff and some of the DPD liability "just so we can say you were taught not to do that" classes...
                  “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

So we all agree Dallas pd and DPS have the best academies in Texas? Such a shame they both pay below 50k a year. :/ I guess you choose either of these 2 department because you actually want to be a part of them, I know I do.
                    Last edited by TxDSO; 09-18-2011, 05:00 AM.

Comment

Obviously, biased opinion, but I have to compliment Austin PD. In particular the quality of our role play weeks. They are realistic to the point I've had things happen on rideouts that felt just like roleplay and also vice versa. I'm at the very early stages of my transformation into a cop (TCLEOSE on Monday), but there have been some of those "wow" moments, where I'm amazed that I'm actually doing something like a cop, and I feel like I owe that to my academy training.
                      Our role play weeks entail a lot of effort from our academy staff and our FTO's, who all put in extra hours. The scenarios get realistic to the point that it's not uncommon for instructors and cadets, alike, to sustain injuries. Nearly every role play week includes someone going to the ER.
                      I feel like APD spares no expense in our training. We have a state of the art firing range with awesome instructors and a whole week of simunitions based training (I've heard those sim rounds ain't cheap).
                      Probably 50% of my class is prior military/combat veterans, and in the last 2 weeks of role play, I've heard many of them say their deployments to Iraq were less stressful than role play.
                      So yeah.. that's a lot of what I think APD has goin' for it.
                      "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

Texas Game Warden Academy is 10 weeks longer than DPS. You live there full-time including middle of the night wake ups. It is in Hamilton County BFE nowhere and have access to nothing. Your family can't visit you there and a lot of the weekends your doing training.

Comment

Originally posted by adeutch View Post
                          Obviously, biased opinion, but I have to compliment Austin PD. In particular the quality of our role play weeks. They are realistic to the point I've had things happen on rideouts that felt just like roleplay and also vice versa. I'm at the very early stages of my transformation into a cop (TCLEOSE on Monday), but there have been some of those "wow" moments, where I'm amazed that I'm actually doing something like a cop, and I feel like I owe that to my academy training.
                          Our role play weeks entail a lot of effort from our academy staff and our FTO's, who all put in extra hours. The scenarios get realistic to the point that it's not uncommon for instructors and cadets, alike, to sustain injuries. Nearly every role play week includes someone going to the ER.
                          I feel like APD spares no expense in our training. We have a state of the art firing range with awesome instructors and a whole week of simunitions based training (I've heard those sim rounds ain't cheap).
                          Probably 50% of my class is prior military/combat veterans, and in the last 2 weeks of role play, I've heard many of them say their deployments to Iraq were less stressful than role play.
                          our whole "officer survival" week was simunition, lots of fun! also had lots of scenarios using sim rounds. i really like our VR training at the range too, allows you to use everything on your belt in a variety of scenarios
                          In Valor there is hope

Comment

I feel like this thread is going to be completely biased. Of course someone is going to say their own Agency "X" academy is better than Agency "Y".

I'm FWPD and I think our academy could have easily been shorten to 5 months. Would I say our academy is the best? How can I say that with a meaning, I never attended Dallas, Garland, Houston's academies.

Comment

Originally posted by adeutch View Post

What did guys go to the ER for? That's wild. Cannot wait to start in April :-)
                              "Fighting Crime....Suppressing Evil"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3977 users online. 254 members and 3723 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X