Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy here with some ?'s

All,

My name is David and I am currently in Afghanistan as an intelligence contractor. I always wanted to be a police officer so I joined the Army in lieu of going to college. I told my self after my 4 years I am going to be an officer, unfortunately I chose a MOS that was a double edged sword. I became an intelligence analyst in the Army and once I got out the headhunters where after me. I landed a job with the FBI as an intelligence contractor and later deployed to AFG when the FBI contract ended. I have six months left here and want to pursue my original goal to become an officer. I am moving to the Austin area when I get back and was wondering which departments near by that are likely always taking applicants, I am willing to move anywhere in Texas but prefer the Austin area. I will also still have my Top Secret clearance if that will help with the hiring process. Any information that you guys can provide well be appreciated. One last thing I will be 26 when I get home.

Your best bet is to look at the PD websites around the area you are looking at and usually they will say if they are taking applications. I believe Austin is slowly hiring, but maybe one of the guys who are in the process can comment. Don't just join a department to become an officer, do some research on them and do a ride along to see how it is. Your TS clearance won't help other than you knowing what your background is. Every agency does their own, even the Feds do that. You can be an Agent with the USSS and get hired by the FBI and will have to complete the whole process including the clearance.
    Last edited by FlashTACP; 08-12-2011, 03:17 AM.

Comment

Start looking at academies while your in the box man, have that lined up as well. You may have to go to a dept's academy all over again or you may find a smaller dept. and be happy like I have.

As far as you TS, I worked for the army in A-stan and hold a SC.. A Sheriff's dept I had applied with when I first got into Texas had trouble finding out excatly what I did and when and it actually hurt a bit. Also I was going to apply with a PD in the Metroplex but was told to pound sound because I had gotten a Minior consuming alcohol when I was in high school.. I had been an officer for 8 years prior as well. So just because you hold a clearance, don't count on it alone to open doors.

Get your academy lined up so your pointed in the right direction...
      "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck"

Comment

Give yourself 6 months to a year from application date to academy start date. Some places like Arlington (requires 4 yr degree) and Mesquite are faster, but it's better to plan for the worst as you know. As was suggested, go on as many ride outs as you can. Not all PD's are created equal. Consider what you're looking for in a PD and where you want to live. In this economy though, I would apply to all and take the first one that says yes. You can always lateral in a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by TXCOP1980 View Post
          Give yourself 6 months to a year from application date to academy start date. Some places like Arlington (requires 4 yr degree) and Mesquite are faster, but it's better to plan for the worst as you know. As was suggested, go on as many ride outs as you can. Not all PD's are created equal. Consider what you're looking for in a PD and where you want to live. In this economy though, I would apply to all and take the first one that says yes. You can always lateral in a few years.
          That is my intent, to just take a weekend and drive through TX throwing my resume/app to PD's. Who ever calls first is the winner. Is the State Police any good? Do they hire frequently? I would assume since they are state that they would need the most officers and would hire more.

Comment

Has anyone done the out-of-state process recently? I have tried to find out what exactly is needed (I'm in Florida) but can't get a straight answer on how to get TX certified.

Thanks....BE SAFE
            The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

Comment

Texas State Troopers are great... They are hiring every now and then. Honesty, it may be a little dissapointing at first when you find out how long of a process it actually is. I work in the Austin area and I'm prior military as well.

The other guys are right though. You have to get out there and visit some departments. Dont take anything at face value. Go ride with some different departments and talk with the officers. When you find a place that fits you and your wants/needs... find out what it's going to take and go for it. If you're in a hurry, then you cant be picky, but if you're anything like me... I got out of the Army, went to college, had a lot of fun and killed a couple of years while I was waiting to get into my department.

If you have any questions about the Austin area, I'll try to answer them.

Comment

Originally posted by dannmann1050 View Post
                Has anyone done the out-of-state process recently? I have tried to find out what exactly is needed (I'm in Florida) but can't get a straight answer on how to get TX certified.

Thanks....BE SAFE
                You'll basically have to come and challenge the state test. (which basically means allow TCLEOSE to look at your training records and decide whether or not to allow you to take the state test). Depending on the department you jump over to, you may or may not have to go through an academy, which will solve the problem of challenging the test....
                “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

Thanks JTShooter
                  The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

Comment

Try looking here http://tml.associationcareernetwork..../HomePage.aspx

I don't kniow how up to date their listings are, but they seem to have tons of Texas law enforcement job vacancies
                    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                      Try looking here http://tml.associationcareernetwork..../HomePage.aspx

I don't kniow how up to date their listings are, but they seem to have tons of Texas law enforcement job vacancies
                      Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4996 users online. 322 members and 4674 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X