Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where you live compared to where you serve?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where you live compared to where you serve?

Hey everyone, I'm an 19 year old looking into seriously being a police officer for Abilene. I have always wanted to live out in the country when I grew up but with being a police officer in Abilene I feel that I would need to live within the community and be a part of it. I just have trouble with the thought of not living in the place I serve. I could always be a county sheriff's deputy but I would think that since most of our county's population is located in Abilene that it would be a little more exciting. What are all of ya'lls thoughts on this subject?
    Any experiences/suggestions?
    Thanks for any input!

Personally, I don't want to go grocery shopping, out to eat, or take my kids to a park and see someone there that I arrested or someone that is upset that I gave them a ticket. Why do you feel like you need to live in a community to be a police officer? Just because your home isn't on your beat doesn't mean that you won't work just as hard to secure the neighborhood. If you want to live in the country, live in the country. You shouldn't make a decision about where you live because you think it will make you a more effective police officer. Live somewhere that makes you happy so you can go home and forget about the job for a little while.
    "Out of every 100 men sent to battle, 10 shouldn't even be there, 80 are just targets, 9 are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a Warrior and he will bring the others back." -Heraclitus

Comment

Originally posted by ccarlin52 View Post
      Hey everyone, I'm a nineteen year old that is seriously looking into becoming a police officer for Abilene. I have always wanted to live out in the country where I grew up. With being a police officer in Abilene, I would like and feel theneed to live within the community to be a part of it. I just have trouble with the thought of not living where I serve. I could always be a county Sheriff's Deputy but since most of our county's population is located in Abilene, it would be a little more exciting. What are your thought's on this subject?
      Any experience's/suggestion's?
      Thank's for any input!
      Work on your report writing, it is atrocious. Everything is one big run-on sentence, without proper punctuation or use of grammar. I suggest going to college and taking entry level English classes.

Besides that, what bump's do you have in your past that might slow your quest down?
      Last edited by Buffaloboy; 05-30-2011, 06:00 PM.
      Ignore List : Bearcat357, Blackavar

Comment

Marine Vet, I can't really tell you why I feel that, but I have heard many of the sames things about going out to eat, getting away form the job and such. I just overthink things, like I feel like I should live amongst the people whom I serve for. I did make a mistake in my earlier post, I have always lived within the city not the country so that adds to my overthinking. The country is just where I have always dreamed of living. Buffalo, lol I just wrote that up really quick, I do however know my english language arts skills aren't the best haha. I have taken one semester of college English and I'm about to begin the next semester of it in the Fall. But in regards to the bumps, I have never gotten into trouble with the law. I do however drink with my friends. Not big parties, just get togethers with a couple guys, but I do NOT drive after. I do not do drugs, but I have been around it a lot before but never did it. Only one time I had a little to drink and my friend took my cigar (old stupid habit) and put marijuana in it. Needless to say I do not speak with this person any more. These would be my only problems I would think would ever hurt me.

Comment

Only one ticket as well for failure to yield the right of way. But that was my sophomore year of high school.

Comment

Just my own personal opinion, but I kind of prefer to live where I work. I feel you take crime a little more personal when it affects your own community, and I'd rather deal with the guys I work with if I ever had an issue as opposed to a different police department. I can see the arguments from both sides, though. As far as ever having an issue out in public, I came from a smaller city where I arrested a lot of people, and stopped a lot of cars, and wrote a lot of tickets. I never had an issue with someone in public, and I seen plenty of people I dealt with, and I'm sure even more seen me and I didn't see them. I had a few people say they were going to jack me up when they saw me off duty, but nothing ever happened, and I walked right past one guy who said that while I was at Wal-Mart and he just looked at me.

Comment

Se7en, thats where I am having the issue. What I want is conflicting. I feel the need to take the crime more personally since I live here and care about my town. But at the same time my dream of living outside the city limits on my own land would be hurt. I'm pretty sure this is the career I would like to pursue, so now I have to decide what I would like to sacrifice, living in the country or feeling as I have done something for the community I live in everyday.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffaloboy View Post
                Work on your report writing, it is atrocious. Everything is one big run-on sentence, without proper punctuation or use of grammar. I suggest going to college and taking entry level English classes.

Besides that, what bump's do you have in your past that might slow your quest down?
                Give him a break... He's asking a question, not to mention the fact that I have read some reports by officer's who have bachelor's degrees and many years of experience; that look like a third grader with a crayon!!

Why bring his past into it? We all have done things that we didn't get caught doing. He asked a fairly easy question, why try and draw it out?
                "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck"

Comment

Se7en, thats where I am having the issue. What I want is conflicting. I feel the need to take the crime more personally since I live here and care about my town. But at the same time my dream of living outside the city limits on my own land would be hurt. I'm pretty sure this is the career I would like to pursue, so now I have to decide what I would like to sacrifice, living in the country or feeling as I have done something for the community I live in everyday.
                  Just weigh your options buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Se7en View Post
                    I had a few people say they were going to jack me up when they saw me off duty, but nothing ever happened, and I walked right past one guy who said that while I was at Wal-Mart and he just looked at me.
                    You should have stopped that guy at Walmart and told him you are gonna jack him up when you see him on duty. Then take something from his basket and put it in yours and walk off like a boss.

Comment

It's a matter of opinion. It will depend on you, however, DO NOT limit yourself to just one agency.

I currently drive an hour east to my PD, and an hour (or more) west to guard oil wells. The miles made for one hell of a write off on taxes.
                      I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Originally posted by REDBLITZ View Post
                        You should have stopped that guy at Walmart and told him you are gonna jack him up when you see him on duty. Then take something from his basket and put it in yours and walk off like a boss.
                        LOL! I've had a few people I've dealt with on the street feel the need to tell others they can't wait to see me on the street not in uniform. It's similar to folks getting muscles when they have handcuff's on.

Comment

Originally posted by K9krazy21 View Post
                          Give him a break... He's asking a question, not to mention the fact that I have read some reports by officer's who have bachelor's degrees and many years of experience; that look like a third grader with a crayon!!

Why bring his past into it? We all have done things that we didn't get caught doing. He asked a fairly easy question, why try and draw it out?
                          Totally agree....Buffaloboy needs to lighten up.

Back to the OP's orginal question, I have found that it differs depending on where you work. When I started in LE, I was in Los Angeles and very rarely would you find an officer that worked in his jurisdiction let alone within a 30 minute drive. In Washington State where I live now, I live 10 minutes from my jurisdiction and have never had any issues in nine years. I have run across people I have arrested/given tickets to and rarely do they even recognize me let alone say anything. Often times it comes down to how you treat people when dealing with them. I am not a heavy handed a-hole who treats the people I am arresting poorly thus someone being upset at me doesn't happen often. Bad guys realize we have a job to do and most of the time they know they have it coming and if you handle yourself right, you will be ok. Obviously there are exceptions, but not the rule from my experience.

Like many have said, weigh the pluses and minuses. Living in your jurisdiction will give you the freedom to go home and eat, tuck the kids in bed, etc. Living outside will add a commute to your day. If your agency has a take home car policy, many have distance restrictions on how far out you can live and still take your car home. I have seen some agencies actually make it a requirement of all officers to be within a certain time frame from the agency in case they need to respond.

All in all...benefits and negatives to both so go with what works for you.

Comment

Originally posted by K9krazy21 View Post
                            Give him a break... No, I'm not here to coddle posters.Especially lately with all the troll's and "I shot a man in the back can I be a cop?" questions He's asking a question, not to mention the fact that I have read some reports by officer's who have bachelor's degrees and many years of experience; that look like a third grader with a crayon!! Good point, College is a waste of time...Doctors handwriting shows their intellect by your statement. I gave him advice to strengthen his position in the applicant field and you turned it into something else!

Why bring his past into it? We all have done things that we didn't get caught doing. Nice blanket statement, and by the way... no I never did anything that didn't get caught. You stating what you did makes me wonder what you did though... He asked a fairly easy question, why try and draw it out? I was not drawing anything out. I did however want to investigate into his demeanor, temperament, criminal history (if there is one) etc.
                            Last edited by Buffaloboy; 05-30-2011, 10:05 PM.
                            Ignore List : Bearcat357, Blackavar

Comment

I just had this conversation with an FTO on my rideout today. His opinion was that it's just a matter of personal preference. He, personally, lives in a suburb pretty far out from the city, as do many officers. I have a strong attachment to my city, having grown up there, so I would prefer to live in the city, but sometimes I wonder about whether I might get assigned to the patrol district I live in. I have to admit I feel weird sometimes walking out of my house in my cadet uniform, especially when the little thugs are walking by.

But in regards to the bumps, I have never gotten into trouble with the law. I do however drink with my friends. Not big parties, just get togethers with a couple guys, but I do NOT drive after. I do not do drugs, but I have been around it a lot before but never did it. Only one time I had a little to drink and my friend took my cigar (old stupid habit) and put marijuana in it. Needless to say I do not speak with this person any more. These would be my only problems I would think would ever hurt me.
                              Underage drinking isn't a huge deal for an applicant, but the more recent the infractions, the more it migh be relevant. Also, the story about your friend drugging you with marijuana doesn't sound believable. It might be true, but it just sounds bizarre. You'd be better of just saying "Hey, I tried weed once." If you want the best shot at getting hired, I'd recommend getting a 4 year college degree or military service. Almost everyone in my academy has one or the other.
                              "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4244 users online. 278 members and 3966 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X