300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Favorite Equipment

Out of all the equipment you have had to purchase for yourself, what brands have you found to be the most functional and durable? (ex: boots, shoes, flashlight, etc.)

The majority of my gear will be supplied by the department, but I have been looking at different brands of boots and flashlights searching for the best. Would Bates be worth a purchase? I have seen them at a few stores, but I am not sure how well they will break in.

Thanks in advance guys!

I have Hax boots... they were pretty expensive, about 200 bucks I believe, but I like the style of the boot and it polish's well. I've had them about three years now, I'm due for a new pair.

Comment

Bates are okay. It appears to be what a majority of officers wear. I wear converse boots though.

As far as duty gear, I've never had any issues with Safariland and 5.11 stuff.

The only gear I refuse to ever buy/own is Blackhawk or Uncle Mikes.
      “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

Also, what about leather gloves? When I road along with Fort Worth it seemed like their officers used a wide range of gloves from under armor to plain black leather.

I like to be an informed shopper before I plunk down the money. I prefer paying extra fir higher quality as well.

Comment

Danner have been hands down the best pair of boots I have ever owned. Went from Magnums which sucked, to 5.11 that lasted less than a year a pair to Danner which have gone on 2 years now and about to reach the need to have them resoled, still look almost new.

As far as flashlights, were issued the standard streamlight which is fine for working nights. When working during daylight hours I use a surefire G2, hasnt let me down yet.
          Last edited by Crimy; 05-22-2011, 09:51 PM.

Comment

For boots you can't go wrong with Danner. I've owned Bates, Magnum, 5.11, and Oakley. I never really liked any them. They either were not comfortable or didn't last. Now that I have Danner I don't think I will ever buy anything else.

The gloves I use are Franklin Second Skinz. I've tried a few differant brands of gloves and these seem to be the best overall for me.

I carry two flashlights. I use the Pelican 7060 as a primary and a Streamlight Strion LED as a backup. I love both lights. I also have a Streamlight Stylus for SFST's at night.

Comment

Our department issues a big ole' maglight (Which I have never used) and a Streamlight LED light for your belt (Which I never use either.) I purchased a Streamlight Strion like 3441 and use that as my primary. It's super bright, very small and it's rechargeable.. Well worth the money.. Go get it..

Comment

Originally posted by 3441 View Post
                For boots you can't go wrong with Danner. I've owned Bates, Magnum, 5.11, and Oakley. I never really liked any them. They either were not comfortable or didn't last. Now that I have Danner I don't think I will ever buy anything else.

The gloves I use are Franklin Second Skinz. I've tried a few differant brands of gloves and these seem to be the best overall for me.

I carry two flashlights. I use the Pelican 7060 as a primary and a Streamlight Strion LED as a backup. I love both lights. I also have a Streamlight Stylus for SFST's at night.
                +1 on the boots. Owned just about every one mentioned here and love the Danners. Liked the Oakleys, but they just don't last. Like my Streamlight Stinger LED over the other non LED lights that we are issued. A good seat organizer will help too.

Comment

Oakley boots, Kershaw knife, Safariland leather gear for most part/few bianchi items mixed in, Streamlight Strion LED on belt and Streamlight Stinger LED in bag, Ringers and Oakley gloves, by far best purchase was Hawk lapel mic...I hate hate hate the regular lapel mic that clips to your shoulder or wherever
                  In Valor there is hope

Comment

Originally posted by usmcrob View Post
                    +1 on the boots. Owned just about every one mentioned here and love the Danners. Liked the Oakleys, but they just don't last. Like my Streamlight Stinger LED over the other non LED lights that we are issued. A good seat organizer will help too.
                    Another vote for Danners...only patrol boot I will wear. I like the Oakley's for overtime details that entail long hours on my feet like traffic control, etc. They are very light and comfortable and much easier on the feet vs a patrol boot.

I'm not real picky on my gloves...I actually wear automotive gloves that I purchase at a local automotive store. I go through a pair every couple months due to bodily fluids and other crap I get on it.

I wear Underarmor shirts under my body armor. I have tried various "breathable" under shirts like Adidas, Nike, etc and always come back to the Underarmor. They breath well, keep me as cool as possible, and are slick thus when I do sweat, my undershirt doesn't bind on my chest.

My favorite piece of equipment has to be my iPod and iRiver FM transmitter!! I am a huge music fan and always have it on while working. I load up the iPod with my favorite tunes, put it on shuffle, and away I go. For people with smart phones, the Pandora app is my favorite music app for the phone. I listen to Pandora via my Droid X and my FM transmitter if I get bored with my iPod. I also listen to podcasts and use Google Listen via my Droid X. Stream all podcasts through my FM transmitter just like my music. Prior to getting my dog, when I had a gang banger in my back seat, I loved cranking up some country music. Guys that were cursing me out would get a dose of Christian worship music...and crusty rednecks got some gangster rap. I always had fun messing with people in my backseat and was prepared to entertain with various types of music.

Edit: Here in the PNW, many of us wear suspenders (you see em on COPS alot). I wear K&W suspenders and love them. Over the years, they have saved my back and at 40 years old, I have zero back issues. I have never seen a Texas officer wearing them but if your dept. would allow it...highly recommended.
                    Last edited by Rodeojones; 05-23-2011, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodeojones View Post
                      Another vote for Danners...only patrol boot I will wear. I like the Oakley's for overtime details that entail long hours on my feet like traffic control, etc. They are very light and comfortable and much easier on the feet vs a patrol boot.

I'm not real picky on my gloves...I actually wear automotive gloves that I purchase at a local automotive store. I go through a pair every couple months due to bodily fluids and other crap I get on it.

I wear Underarmor shirts under my body armor. I have tried various "breathable" under shirts like Adidas, Nike, etc and always come back to the Underarmor. They breath well, keep me as cool as possible, and are slick thus when I do sweat, my undershirt doesn't bind on my chest.

My favorite piece of equipment has to be my iPod and iRiver FM transmitter!! I am a huge music fan and always have it on while working. I load up the iPod with my favorite tunes, put it on shuffle, and away I go. For people with smart phones, the Pandora app is my favorite music app for the phone. I listen to Pandora via my Droid X and my FM transmitter if I get bored with my iPod. I also listen to podcasts and use Google Listen via my Droid X. Stream all podcasts through my FM transmitter just like my music. Prior to getting my dog, when I had a gang banger in my back seat, I loved cranking up some country music. Guys that were cursing me out would get a dose of Christian worship music...and crusty rednecks got some gangster rap. I always had fun messing with people in my backseat and was prepared to entertain with various types of music.

Edit: Here in the PNW, many of us wear suspenders (you see em on COPS alot). I wear K&W suspenders and love them. Over the years, they have saved my back and at 40 years old, I have zero back issues. I have never seen a Texas officer wearing them but if your dept. would allow it...highly recommended.
                      The suspenders would make too much sense for most departments.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodeojones View Post

I wear mine under my shirt www.backdefensesystems.com
                        As far as music goes i just plug in my 16gb flash drive into the USB port and use windows media player or winamp. Easier than using a phone imho
                        Last edited by SCSU74; 05-23-2011, 02:08 PM.
                        In Valor there is hope

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU74 View Post
                          I wear mine under my shirt www.backdefensesystems.com
                          As far as music goes i just plug in my 16gb flash drive into the USB port and use windows media player or winamp. Easier than using a phone imho
                          You having to cut holes in your shirt to get the suspender keepers over your duty belt??

My Motorola Toughbook's speakers are horrible and I could never hear anything..especially when driving. If I use my phone, i'm running it through my car speakers with an FM transmitter. The sound quality is no different then listening to the radio...

Comment

I like my gun.

Comment

My favorite gloves I have are my Oakley SI tactical gloves. They're comfortable, warm and I like the carbon fiber knuckle protectors. I like my Under Armor shirts and boots, and my favorite knife is my Benchmade 9100 sbt.
                              Last edited by josephcook78; 05-23-2011, 06:56 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7069 users online. 358 members and 6711 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X