300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Registration sticker

If the sticker is expired, can you remove it?

I saw a trooper do that the other day. I asked him why he removed it and he said because it was expired.

I have never seen that done before, unless it was ficticious or belonged to another vehicle, but just for being expired.

Anyone do that?
    "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called Sons of God - Matthew 5:9

I don't think I've ever seen that done before. However it was a trooper that did it, so that doesn't surprise me. I've seen them make people take illegal window tint off the car right there on the side of the road If it came back to another vehicle I could see it being removed though, not for just being exired though. Because then the driver will probably be stopped down the road when the next officer spots him.

Comment

I only make them remove the sticker if the sticker is from another vehicle ie fictitious

I dont have them remove the sticker (just for expired tags) so if they do not get new tags I can continue to make stops on them.
      Chris

XBOX Live: Citizen GaKar

http://i36.tinypic.com/1zoxgtc.gif

Comment

I have had them remove it in the past. Any time I pass a car that doesn't have one I look for a plate after it gets by. Texas plate no sticker probably a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by josephcook78 View Post
          I don't think I've ever seen that done before. However it was a trooper that did it, so that doesn't surprise me. I've seen them make people take illegal window tint off the car right there on the side of the road If it came back to another vehicle I could see it being removed though, not for just being exired though. Because then the driver will probably be stopped down the road when the next officer spots him.
          Makes it a lot easier to spot one w/out an expired sticker than leaving it on, it's no good anyway. Problem is policy may require you to write a report and log it in as evidence.

Comment

I've never removed one, but have seen other officers do it. But if I see one of those temporary paper tags with the date written in with a sharpie, i make them tear that up, since those are obviously bogus now.

Comment

I've always had the violator remove it............here in the Metroplex its easier to spot a car w/ only 1 tag displayed as opposed to both with only 1 of them being expired. Plus its PC for the next stop..... Fail to Display Registration Sticker even if its valid - only 1 sticker on the window w/ TX tags - good stop.

Comment

Just a guess, but would the sticker be considered property of the state anyway? Like when you arrest someone for DWI, you take their DL, right? And you're not taking the DL as evidence. You're taking it because it belongs to the state, and you're essentially taking away their driving privileges. I could see taking the sticker being kinda similar. I might be way off, though. And I don't actually know how that's handled at my dept. (maybe I'll run across it on a rideout soon )
                "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5941 users online. 327 members and 5614 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X