300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something for applicants to think about

This may sound like a rant, and maybe it is, but I get on here and I always see people asking "which dept should I apply with" or "who is the best dept out there to work for" questions. I find it somewhat irritating, no offense, that people who aren't employed as a peace officer limit themselves to certain cities they are willing to work/apply for. You have no real working knowledge of any of the cities and are basing your career choices on hearsay. I always went by the thinking of applying for any and every city that had a job posting. You can get picky once you are certified and have some patrol experience. When you limit yourself to only applying for "the best", there is no guarantee that you get hired with that dept, meanwhile you just missed other tests that may have worked out.

Just my 2 cents

With this economy, applicants, like myself, need to take the first thing that is offered to them.
    I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

I see no harm in trying to educate yourself before hand. In fact, I wish I had. Instead I jumped on the first offer. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to have my job, but sometimes I wonder if i wouldn't have been happier if I had shopped around first.

If these applicants want to work in a certain area, or have certain things that are a deal breaker to them, then that's their decision. Beggars can't be choosers, but again, that's their decision.

Comment

I think it really depends on the applicant and their personal situation. When I got hired as a PO 9 years ago, I was 30 years old, married, and had three kids. I had to be somewhat picky due to my economic situation and couldn't work for any department. Pay, shift schedule and benefits were something that had to factor in my decision and I did not have the liberty to take the first offer.

While I understand the OP's feelings, I think this board can be a wealth of information about a state and the departments in it for people who are seeking information. To go into a application process simply based on an anonymous posters opinion would be foolish, but those opinions can be a part of the pie in ones research process and a important factor in a very important decision.

For every "who should I work for thread", there can be a wealth of information in that thread for a person like myself who is thirsty for information but has a huge disadvantage obtaining it due to where I live. I am extremely grateful for this forum and some of the people I have met. Last summer, I had the chance to finally meet a member whom I had corresponded with for several years as we both were out of state officers wishing to relocate to Tx. While visiting family in Austin, I bought him a burger and we sat and talked about his experiences with his new department and it was a friendship that continues to this day!

I for one say keep those "what is the best dept" threads coming...just make sure the information is used prudently and wisely as we all strive find that department that we will never want to leave.

Comment

I was born and raised in San Antonio. I'm intimately familiar with the city and its surrounding areas. My folks -- infant daughter's grandparents -- live there. My wife wants to go to school there. As an applicant with what I consider to be a highly competitive status, I'm putting a lot of eggs in that SAPD basket.

I'm applying to DPS, but that's my second choice just because I have no idea where I'd end up living. College Station, where I spent 5 years of my life, is not even a consideration at this point.

Comment

Great Post!!!

I think it really depends on the applicant and their personal situation. When I got hired as a PO 9 years ago, I was 30 years old, married, and had three kids. I had to be somewhat picky due to my economic situation and couldn't work for any department. Pay, shift schedule and benefits were something that had to factor in my decision and I did not have the liberty to take the first offer.

While I understand the OP's feelings, I think this board can be a wealth of information about a state and the departments in it for people who are seeking information. To go into a application process simply based on an anonymous posters opinion would be foolish, but those opinions can be a part of the pie in ones research process and a important factor in a very important decision.

For every "who should I work for thread", there can be a wealth of information in that thread for a person like myself who is thirsty for information but has a huge disadvantage obtaining it due to where I live. I am extremely grateful for this forum and some of the people I have met. Last summer, I had the chance to finally meet a member whom I had corresponded with for several years as we both were out of state officers wishing to relocate to Tx. While visiting family in Austin, I bought him a burger and we sat and talked about his experiences with his new department and it was a friendship that continues to this day!

I for one say keep those "what is the best dept" threads coming...just make sure the information is used prudently and wisely as we all strive find that department that we will never want to leave.
            MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

The following is my primer for the many questions we see in here. Call it the "So You Wanna Get Hired In Texas...." thread.

Where can I learn about______? The search function is your friend.

What are my chances of being hired by_______? Are you a highly qualified, TCLEOSE certified, recent Medal of Honor winner? Your chances are good. Other than that, we don't know. The more experience and training you have on the ol' resume, the better your chances. If you're new to the game and have no experience, you may be better off applying to a larger department that's willing to send you through their academy.

Will a college degree help me get hired? It doesn't hurt, but isn't required unless you're applying to a department that only hires college grads. If you were summa cum laude valedictorian of your major university, you know you can make a whole lot more money in the business world right?

Should I wear a suit to the interview? Yes. Always look professional for interviews with the bigwigs. If you're just showing up to hand off a packet of info, business casual is appropriate.

Other general application tips: Make copies of everything you submit. Send info via certified mail. Write down the info of everyone you talk to, and when you talked to them in case you need to reference it later. You are the party most responsible for this process, not a recruiter or background investigator. Stay on top of things. (But don't be a pain in the…..)

What kind of physical fitness routine should I use to prepare? Try the Health and Fitness forums for ideas. Try Crossfit. Try running. Try the Navy Pre-BUDS workout available online (tip: use google). No one's asking you to be a Green Beret, but the better shape you're in, the easier the academy will be. And in the words of Mark Rippetoe, "Stronger people are harder to kill, and generally more useful." Good advice for when you're on the job.

Where should I work? This is a combination of a myriad of factors including department size, moral, pay, location, etc. If you want to be selective, be selective. If you want to cast a wide net, apply everywhere. Keep in mind that in the current economy, more applicants are applying for fewer spaces, so you may not have the opportunity to put all your eggs in one basket. Go on a ride-along with any of the departments you're interested so you can see how they work.

Which department is pro-active? Any department can be if you put forth the effort. You typically can't go wrong with major cities and the surrounding suburbs if only for the fact that you may have more opportunity due to higher crime levels. If you're from out of state, look at google maps/wikipedia and get some basic info about the area of Texas you're interested in moving to. Then try the Search once you know a little bit about the area. And to reiterate, if possible, go on a ride-along to see how the department operates.

Here are the most recent links to some of the usual suspects:
              Austin: http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...cademy-classes
              Arlington: http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...Hiring-Process
              Dallas: http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...ith-Dallas-P.D.
              DPS: http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...-Nov.-28-Class
              Fort Worth: http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...nt-August-31st
              Houston: http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...arch-29th-2010

I have to buy my own firearm. Which should I buy? If your department is not specifying a specific brand/caliber the general rule is carry the biggest caliber you can reliably control. Most stick with 9 mm, .40, and .45 due to the availability of ammunition. Other calibers like .357sig are harder to come by. Regarding specific brands, try a Glock or a Sig. (fyi - further arguments regarding guns should be relegated to the Firearms forum.)

I've never shot a handgun before. Should I practice before the academy? Only if you can find a reputable instructor and are dedicated to consistently practicing the fundamentals. If you're just looking to pop a cap in some paper targets and create bad habits, wait until the academy. They'll teach you what they want you to know.

I have to buy my own ______. What should I buy? Go visit the duty gear forums where they discuss all things flashlight, baton, handcuff, vest, holster, bail out bag, etc.

How to pass TCLEOSE: Study. Try the Victoria College practice tests online. Use Google to search for TCLEOSE practice tests.

Certified out of State and want to challenge TCLEOSE? Quick and dirty: Currently licensed with 12 months prior experience, POST approved training, and complete Texas Supplemental Peace Officer Course #1018. Check TCLEOSE website for more info, or search this forum for "Challenge TCLEOSE" or "Course #1018." http://www.tcleose.state.tx.us/conte...ers_non_tx.cfm

That's all I can think of for right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Navy Ag 03 View Post
                I was born and raised in San Antonio. I'm intimately familiar with the city and its surrounding areas. My folks -- infant daughter's grandparents -- live there. My wife wants to go to school there. As an applicant with what I consider to be a highly competitive status, I'm putting a lot of eggs in that SAPD basket.

I'm applying to DPS, but that's my second choice just because I have no idea where I'd end up living. College Station, where I spent 5 years of my life, is not even a consideration at this point.
                I truly understand, Austin was a make or break for me. I hope things work out.
                "... Somewhere Between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace..."

Comment

Fencipede, great work. Lord knows I would still be typing that up.
                  MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by jcioccke View Post
                    Fencipede, great work. Lord knows I would still be typing that up.
                    Seriously.
                    "... Somewhere Between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace..."

Comment

Look at USAJOBS 2 VA hospitals in Texas are now have announcements up. Amarillo and Corpus Christi looking for GS-06 in the 0083 job series.
                      GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Comment

I agree with the OP. Right now LEO jobs are scarce, and agencies are being much more picky about their recruits. Limiting yourself to certian agencies or cities really narrows the chances of being hired. I've always said you go where the jobs are cause they aren't going to come and find you. I put in and was accepted at 2 jobs in the east coast when I retired from the Navy in San Diego, I'm now living in New Hampshire for the job I accepted. I don't regeret the move cause I know I can apply for other locations within the same agency when jobs are posted. I can be back in California when the opportunity presents itself.
                        GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Comment

I have no problem with people asking others on their opinions of depts. Creedstaind brought up educating yourself on various depts through these forums, great. However, it appears to me that a lot of people don't look at an entire area. I will use the DFW area since that's where I work and know. People talk about Irving, Plano, Dallas, Ft Worth, Garland and Mesquite (just random examples) and they will only work/apply for those cities. They never think of or consider the smaller, but just as good, depts like Duncanville, Lewisville, Farmers Branch, Carrollton, HEB, Allen, etc...Obviously if you have your heart set on working for the big kid on the block, go for it. But if you just want to become a cop asap, don't be as selective. Being police in a less known town is better than not being police at all.

Comment

Dps

You can pick your duty station prior to the DPS Academy. Bryan might not be open, but there are places that are close that are still open. PM me of you have any questions.
                            TEXAS STATE TROOPER

Comment

right now i am serving in the navy stationed in japan. soon i will be transferring to Great Lakes, IL!!! looks like i will be there for 3yrs i was curious if you guys had any ideas on what i could do while im stationed in Illinois to better prepare my self for future employement in law enforcement in the near future. i was planning on separating out of the navy once my 3 yrs were up and come back to texas.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6044 users online. 296 members and 5748 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X