300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which city rocks "em" all?

I was wondering if those of you from Texas could give me some recommendations. I have applied to the Austin PD and am currently in the process of applying to the Plano PD. I hear that they are both excellent PD's and was wondering if you could give me the names of other cities that would be good to apply for. I can deal with the heat, not a fan of the humidity though. Thanks.

Use the search function, this question gets asked like once a week. Also, there is no perfect department that "rocks em all". Every department has its pro's and con's, find out what is important to you in a department and start there. Good luck with your testing.

Comment

From the posts I've read here, Austin and Plano are very good paying departments but it's hard to "be" a cop there. Very regulated. If you want to be a cop and do cop stuff check out Garland, Irving and Mesquite. I'm not dogging Austin and Plano since I have no personal experience that's just what I read here. I do know that Garland rocks and that can also be verified by most on this site.

Comment

Originally posted by TXCOP1980 View Post
        From the posts I've read here, Austin and Plano are very good paying departments but it's hard to "be" a cop there. Very regulated. If you want to be a cop and do cop stuff check out Garland, Irving and Mesquite. I'm not dogging Austin and Plano since I have no personal experience that's just what I read here. I do know that Garland rocks and that can also be verified by most on this site.
        I have been told (by a current Ofc) that at APD, you can get days off for being rude to someone. On the plus side, the pay and retirement may be the best in the state.

For Austin area departments, he told me Round Rock PD, San Marcos PD, and Williamson County SO are very pro active departments. The pay at WCSO is poor....

Comment

Originally posted by Rodeojones View Post
          I have been told (by a current Ofc) that at APD, you can get days off for being rude to someone. On the plus side, the pay and retirement may be the best in the state.

For Austin area departments, he told me Round Rock PD, San Marcos PD, and Williamson County SO are very pro active departments. The pay at WCSO is poor....
          Well, what you will find is sacrifices have to be made in most situations. Typically, the departments that pay the best and have the best equipment serve a wealthy population. So the trade off is yeah, you make better pay and have better equipment, but the way you do business will be completely different than other departments.

Comment

I wouldn't say the pay at WCSO is poor.

Comment

Originally posted by xcfmx View Post
              I wouldn't say the pay at WCSO is poor.
              Since he is with APD, he's probably a little scewed

Comment

you also have to have supervisors permission to make arrests! that'd be fun! or not....
                In Valor there is hope

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU74 View Post
                  you also have to have supervisors permission to make arrests! that'd be fun! or not....
                  I love it... we give you a gun and bullets but we don't trust you to make a decision to arrest someone. Makes sense.

Comment

I checked Austin's Website and all the test days are fulled. So hopefully, you got a schedule test date.

Comment

Originally posted by lonestarstatefinest View Post
                      I checked Austin's Website and all the test days are fulled. So hopefully, you got a schedule test date.
                      Ya...I checked with the recruiting Sgt. 12 days after April 1, was when they opened up "interest cards" for 2012 testing. They were full and weren't taking any more for the 2012 academies.

Comment

I was actually lucky enough to get a test date with APD. Thanks for all the replies. I guess I will just have to check out the cities and dept.'s and figure out which one fits me best.

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU74 View Post
                          Just reading that without any knowledge of the situation is very misleading. I'm an officer at APD and there are only a few situations that you have to get approval for. Most of those are just a formality. (Make the arrest and just tell your sgt what you have before you transport.) I make hundreds of arrests a year and I have to get approval on less then 1% of them. APD is very proactive and a great dept to work for. Is there politics involved? Of course, but that is every city. It doesn't prevent us from taking care of business.

Comment

How long have you been a member of APD Texas55? I would love to hear more about the department. I'm excited to test for it, but there are hundreds of people testing also, so I'm hoping I have a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by natejack12 View Post
                              How long have you been a member of APD Texas55? I would love to hear more about the department. I'm excited to test for it, but there are hundreds of people testing also, so I'm hoping I have a chance.
                              9 years....its pretty competetive to get into right now, which shows you how many people want to work here.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3129 users online. 173 members and 2956 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X