Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Houston Laying Officers Off

HPD plans extensive layoffs, KHOU report says

Television station KHOU is reporting today on the prospect of extensive layoffs at the Houston police department.

The station quotes unnamed sources as saying that Police Chief Charles McClelland intends to trim 181 police officers' jobs and 445 civilian jobs.

From KHOU:

The employees would reportedly be notified on May 12 that their jobs will be eliminated in August.

The station said Mayor Annise Parker received the plan on Wednesday and that the Houston Fire Department is also facing layoffs.

Wow... hope no one from here gets hit...

Well that's depressing. Hope Dallas doesn't decide to do the same.

Comment

That sucks. I have friends in HPD and HFD.

Comment

Like that town needs to trim down on police! Freaking ridiculous

Comment

Originally posted by Scubadiver View Post
          Like that town needs to trim down on police! Freaking ridiculous
          You better believe the hood rats will still be collecting their checks and living in government housing.

Comment

Don't forget about the upper class people living in the mini mansions. They will keep buying product from the hood rats in the government housing.

Comment

This is old news to me... Word around the grape vine is that the caddets graduating from the academy will be the ones laid off

Comment

Originally posted by Zurita210 View Post
                This is old news to me... Word around the grape vine is that the caddets graduating from the academy will be the ones laid off
                How does that work? They could just cancel the 2 classes they have this year and just save the money with the 140 "cuts" at the same time not hang everyone out to dry?

Comment

Originally posted by Bickfot View Post
                  How does that work? They could just cancel the 2 classes they have this year and just save the money with the 140 "cuts" at the same time not hang everyone out to dry?
                  Well, the media reported the cuts will go by seniority. I would think it would be academy or post academy officers. From the sounds of it the city of Houston is in a budget hole and they need to cut expenses now which means they have to cut officers already on the job rather than future positions. The mayor said she wasn't planning on cutting public safety but it looks like it's happening anyway.

Comment

I'm confident that the city will not lay off any officers. There are HUNDREDS of civilian employees that work for the department. They will likely be gone very soon.

Comment

For the sake of clarity, I hope they don't cut any classes, being a recent recruit myself. I was curious how Mayor's office justify wanting cuts, but spending all that money on training people just to let them go (just couldn't wrap my head around it). After thinking about it, I can only imagine that the academies were already budgeted while operating budgets for the upcoming fiscal year have not been ironed out.

I have every confidence that the Chief will figure it all out and until then (May 12th) when the new budget comes out I'll cross my fingers and say my prayers.

Comment

Thats exactly what I heard, as soon as they graduate, they turn in their badges and re-hire some of the guys that had been laid off... Thats what I heard from an HPD Officer that lives in the area I used to patrol.
                        Last edited by Zurita210; 04-25-2011, 01:35 PM.

Comment

For the sake of clarity, I hope they don't cut any classes, being a recent recruit myself. I was curious how Mayor's office justify wanting cuts, but spending all that money on training people just to let them go (just couldn't wrap my head around it). After thinking about it, I can only imagine that the academies were already budgeted while operating budgets for the upcoming fiscal year have not been ironed out.

I have every confidence that the Chief will figure it all out and until then (May 12th) when the new budget comes out I'll cross my fingers and say my prayers.
                          Its the same thing I thought as Deputy Constable working for Pct 4, I thought the Constable would figure it out and at the end instead of laying off 30 to 40 Deputies, he ended up laying off 90. Approximately 250 Deputies in all of Harris County were laid off.

Comment

Wow

That's so sad! It just get to me cause with all the teachers and law enforcement getting laid off, it's hard to know that the people living on welfare and in hovernment housing won't see their money cut...even though we all know 95% could be out there getting jobs like everyone else!!!! It's just wrong!!!
                            TEXAS STATE TROOPER

Comment

I wonder how many HPD officers retire each year, and if they could lay off those positions, or work out some sort of package to encourage earlier retirement and lay off all open positions. I dunno.

My dept. laid off between 10-15% of its staff last year, and they laid off all open positions, laid off anyone's position who retired or left for other reasons, and then made the remaining cuts based on senority. Last in first out. Obviously a few people had to transfer or take a pay cut to fill critical open positions, but less people actually lost their jobs.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4614 users online. 276 members and 4338 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X