300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Central PD's

im looking to work for a PD in north central. Its hard to decide which would be the best to work for. Im looking at Mckinney, Plano, Dallas, and Irving. Im looking at best pay, benefits, advancement, and overall a good place to work. Looking for input

Mckinney- Good police department and Chief, good equipment, squared away department with lot of training. Step pay has been frozen for a couple of years and not sure if this is going to be corrected anytime soon. Department needs more officers but again, the city has stalled on funds.

Plano- Great pay, great equipment, heard a lot of negative about the working environment and the ability to actually work. Read about it, talked to people who have worked there in the past etc.

Dallas- Big department, lot of action, I'll let the DPD guys touch on the rest.

Irving- Great pay, never heard anything negative about the department. Spoke to an officer there a few years ago who loved it.

It's difficult to get an idea about a department without atleast doing a ride along, everyone has their own opinions. I know Irving pays really good and their lateral program is great. If I had my choice it would be between Mckinney and Irving, and if money is the bigger factor for you I'd go with Irving. They seem to really take care of their officers.

Comment

What about Rowlett? :-)

Comment

Sounds more like you're looking for a job in the cooperate world, lol. You're going to get the most money in Plano but they seem to only hire 2-4 at a time and have tons of applicants. If you're looking at PD's between Mckinney, Irving and Plano you may as well look at all the other PDs around....Garland, Mesquite, Richardson, Rowlett,

I think a lot of guys on here will tell you to avoid Dallas.

Comment

Originally posted by TXCOP1980 View Post
          Sounds more like you're looking for a job in the cooperate world, lol. You're going to get the most money in Plano but they seem to only hire 2-4 at a time and have tons of applicants. If you're looking at PD's between Mckinney, Irving and Plano you may as well look at all the other PDs around....Garland, Mesquite, Richardson, Rowlett,

Garland isn't taking apps right now.

Comment

Originally posted by TXCOP1980 View Post

Heard a lot of negative about Richardson, too.

Comment

Dallas Great for learning police work and getting to meet some very entertaining people on a daily basis. Although most of the higher ups discourage real police work by giving u days off. If I were to do it again I would work in Mesquite or Garland...

Comment

Originally posted by Scubadiver View Post
                Dallas Great for learning police work and getting to meet some very entertaining people on a daily basis. Although most of the higher ups discourage real police work by giving u days off. If I were to do it again I would work in Mesquite or Garland...
                Irving is pretty lateral friendly...whats your take on them?

I hear Garland allows tattoo's while in uniform? Can you confirm?

Comment

Originally posted by Rodeojones View Post

I worked with a guy that works for Irving PD at another job. He loved it there. I have never had any experience besides that with them.

Not sure about the tattoo policy, just know they are very pro police and the command staff allows them to do real police work without the constant concern of getting fired or days off.

Comment

Molly Norton is the recruiter for Garland, and you can find her email on their website. She's extremely helpful regarding any questions and is quick to respond.

Comment

Originally posted by Se7en View Post
                      Molly Norton is the recruiter for Garland, and you can find her email on their website. She's extremely helpful regarding any questions and is quick to respond.
                      I have found out that Mesquite and Irving have a no tattoo policy. I will try Molly, thanks.

Comment

I think Mckinney recently implemented a no tattoo policy as well...

Comment

Am I crazy to think I could work for a dept. in Tx that would require me to cover up my arm tats!?!? Here in Seattle, I have to wear long sleeves all year but work graves so it isn't a big deal. Wearing long sleeves in the DFW area seems daunting, even if I only worked nights.

Sorry to hijack the thread...random question for you guys in Tejas that work the road.

Comment

Am I crazy to think I could work for a dept. in Tx that would require me to cover up my arm tats!?!? Here in Seattle, I have to wear long sleeves all year but work graves so it isn't a big deal. Wearing long sleeves in the DFW area seems daunting, even if I only worked nights.

Sorry to hijack the thread...random question for you guys in Tejas that work the road.
                            Some departments will allow that, you'll just have to check. The policy was discussed a few months ago at my PD but I can't recall the specifics.

Comment

thanks guys for the help

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6016 users online. 301 members and 5715 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X