300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving from Oklahoma to Texas

I am a Deputy in Oklahoma looking to relocate to Texas with my family. I am sending my application tomorrow to take the TCLOESE certification on-line class . Does anyone know how long this normally takes? Any advice on books to pick up to study? Any advice for applying while living out of state? I have 11 years with my current Department 7 years working in the jail and 4 years outside of the jail (where I am now). I don't have college hours so if anyone has any advice for agency's that take a lateral transfer without college that would be great. We are looking to relocate between Oklahoma line and Dallas Texas area but are open to other locations.
    Last edited by soonerman; 04-15-2011, 03:46 AM.

Welcome! I think you'll find the change a good one. I too am a Texan by choice (not by accident). After 20+ years I still see it as a good career choice.

Comment

Go to the Victoria College website and in the top right search bar type in "TECLEOSE". Open the the link to the practice tests and you should be fine. Don't just do the topic specific stuff, take the tests too. I took it this morning and I found a lot of the questions to be the same.

As far as departments go, I say through a dart into a map of DFW and you'll probably hit a good department. You probably want to avoid DPD though, they make you do their entire academy.

Comment

I think DPS will take laterals that have 3+ years experience. You'll have to go through another academy though, but it's worth it. PM me if you have questions. Good luck
        TEXAS STATE TROOPER

Comment

Thanks everyone I'm waiting to get my PID number so I can take the class then test. My only concern is driving back and forth and not getting hired but I'm willing to take the chance. How long is the process to get hired normally? I was hoping to move by the end of Aug is that possible or unrealestic?

Comment

Mesquite has a very fast process. It can be 90 days start to finish for new recruits. Not sure about their college requirements for laterals though.

Comment

I emailed a DPS recruiter and was told the following regarding current police officers applying with DPS.

No out of state testing or an abbreviated testing process
              No abbreviated academy
              $2,982,25 per month during academy

Not too friendly for current officers..

Comment

Does anyone know how long it takes to get the PID number once you send off for it? and then how long it takes to take the class and challenge TECLEOSE ?

Comment

Got my PID today and signed up for Class. I'll keep everyone updated.

Comment

I took the Classen-Buck course and then had to send all of my information to TCLEOSE, which they decided if I was eligible to take the test or not and issued me my PID number. I have some decent study material if you want to PM me your email.

Comment

Originally posted by Se7en View Post
                      I took the Classen-Buck course and then had to send all of my information to TCLEOSE, which they decided if I was eligible to take the test or not and issued me my PID number. I have some decent study material if you want to PM me your email.
                      Thanks Se7en I'll pm you now

Comment

BTW can anyone tell me if it takes 120 hours for the on-line class? Or does it seem to go faster?

Comment

The online class takes as long as you can get through it. I think it may have taken me about a week or so doing about an hour or two a day on it.

Comment

Originally posted by soonerman View Post
                            BTW can anyone tell me if it takes 120 hours for the on-line class? Or does it seem to go faster?
                            I'm almost finished with it...it gets mind numbing after a while. There is no fail and the class is set up for you to take each test first, see where you need to study, and then retake it when your finished. Anytime you fail a test, they will reset it for you (including the three finals). I'm a PO in Washington and in the same boat as you...will be challenging the TCLEOSE this summer some time.

You will have 6 months from the completion of the Supp to challenge the TCLEOSE, once you pass the challenge test, your cert is good for two years.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodeojones View Post
                              I'm almost finished with it...it gets mind numbing after a while. There is no fail and the class is set up for you to take each test first, see where you need to study, and then retake it when your finished. Anytime you fail a test, they will reset it for you (including the three finals). I'm a PO in Washington and in the same boat as you...will be challenging the TCLEOSE this summer some time.

You will have 6 months from the completion of the Supp to challenge the TCLEOSE, once you pass the challenge test, your cert is good for two years.
                              Thanks for the Answer SeZen and Rodeojones. I'll start the class this weekend and get it out of the way. I hope to challenge the TCLEOSE ASAP and start putting apps in.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5124 users online. 289 members and 4835 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X