300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Configuring Duty Belt

Hey guys, how are yall configuring your duty belts? I try to stay away from putting anything on my back, but I'm having a hard time finding room. My last department we wore the Blauer pants with the side pockets, so I kept an extra set of hand cuffs and a small flash light in that. Current department we have the dress pants so I'm having to use either two hand cuff cases or a double cuff case. I have to place my gun, ammo clips, taser, flash light holder, radio holder, and two sets of hand cuffs. Some guys at my department I have noticed have two hand cuff pouches located on the sides of their back, light one behind their duty weapon and then one on the other side behind their radio, not directly on their back. Not sure how comfortable that would be, I've always kept my handcuff's up front, but it seems to be weighed down a bit on the front with the double handcuff case.

Ideas?

If possible maybe you can ditch the radio holder. We got the little clips on the back that I hook onto the duty belt. This only works if they come with shoulder mikes though.
    "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Originally posted by JasperST
    I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

I keep the two separate cuffs on my back like you describe that others do. It's not uncomfortable at all.

A buddy of mine keeps on set up front, the other behind his pistol.

Another I know keeps one on his belt and the other on his vest.
      “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

You just committed a grievous sin by calling your magazines clips.

One cuff case on each side of the back is the most common in Southern CA, but I carry one set of cuffs in front and the other in back, like JT's buddy.
        Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
        Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

I have played with just about every setup imaginable. The only things that stay the same are my magazines(always up front between 11:30 and 12:30), and my gun (at 3:00). Everything else has changed numerous times. Now days I try to keep my radio holder at 9:00. My handcuffs have gone from the front right besides my mags, to behind my gun. And my baton has been behind my gun, in front setup for cross draw for both hands at one time. They all advantages and disadvantages. You just have to experiment. I like the Hindi type setup, but my biggest problem is our department requires us to wear our video microphones and department issued cell phones on our belts at all times, between 9:00 and 3:00, which throws things off a lot.

There is nothing wrong with carrying stuff on your back, as long as nothing is centered that can impact the spine. I try to avoid carrying anything on my back at all but if you keep it empty between 5:00 and 7:00, you should be fine. Don't carry anything at 6:00. Of course if you get tripped/slammed/fall and you fall on anything, it's going to hurt. But those pains will heal. Fall on something that is directly over your spine and you may be disabled.

Originally posted by USMARINE View Post
          If possible maybe you can ditch the radio holder. We got the little clips on the back that I hook onto the duty belt. This only works if they come with shoulder mikes though.
          Please don't do this. Those radio clips aren't made to hold against any force. The strongest radio clip is about 1/10 as strong as the weakest radio holder. I'd say you've simply been fortunate so far that you've never gotten into a fight where your radio clip got snapped off sending your radio flying, or snagged it on something. Even our plainclothes CID guys usually stick the radio in their pockets rather than trust the clips. Our radios even have a disclaimed in the instructions that say they aren't responsible if you use the clip. There are several radio holders that are very strong and only a couple of millimeters wider than the radio itself, taking up very little space on the belt, but providing security.

Comment

Thanks for the responses, guys. I appreciate it... I'll play with my belt tonight and see how I like having the two handcuff cases in the back. We too have to wear a video recorder on the belt, so I feel your pain.

Comment

have you tried switching handcuff cases? i hated wearing cuffs on my back with the closed top cases because they felt really bulky. I switched to open top cases and i hardly even notice them back there anymore. The open top cases are much lighter and slimmer. I carry a pair next to each keeper at about 5 and 7
              In Valor there is hope

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU74 View Post
                have you tried switching handcuff cases? i hated wearing cuffs on my back with the closed top cases because they felt really bulky. I switched to open top cases and i hardly even notice them back there anymore. The open top cases are much lighter and slimmer. I carry a pair next to each keeper at about 5 and 7
                I went to the cop shop in Dallas and couldn't find an open set that carried hinged. I bought a pair and even tried putting the chain cuffs in and they were a pain in the ***. These were safariland, I believe.

Comment

Duty Belt.jpg

I know this ain't a duty belt picture thread, but here's how I've set mine up. I've found that even with back problems this works for me. This is Bianchi Accu-Mold with a few older leather pieces snuck in. The only thing I could absolutely do without there is the silent key holder just in front of the holster.
                  Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God MATT 5:9

Comment

Take one of your belt keepers that sit around your back and place a set of handcuffs on them (the 2 thin parts) before closing up the keeper. It saves money and space on your belt.

Comment

Originally posted by Se7en View Post
                      I went to the cop shop in Dallas and couldn't find an open set that carried hinged. I bought a pair and even tried putting the chain cuffs in and they were a pain in the ***. These were safariland, I believe.
                      You might have to order them online. I found an open top hinged case at GT, but it was the last one.

The open tops are a pain to get cuffs in sometimes, but nothing beats the quickness of gettin' 'em out.

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

Originally posted by JTShooter View Post
                        You might have to order them online. I found an open top hinged case at GT, but it was the last one.

The open tops are a pain to get cuffs in sometimes, but nothing beats the quickness of gettin' 'em out.
                        +1 i got mine at GST heres a link for the hinged case i use, i also have a safariland 090 case for chain cuffs, but like JTShooter said, it can be a pain to put the cuffs away sometimes. I really don't have any issues with my hinge cuffs though and i use them as my primary cuffs.

http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/...xtModelID=7934
                        In Valor there is hope

Comment

Thanks guys, yes, getting the cuffs in was a huge pain in the ***... very frustrating.

Comment

I carry spray, ASP, taser, extra taser cartridge, pistol, two sets of cuffs, gloves, ammo pouch, blackberry, pager, radio, flashlight ring, big baton ring,..........Lord, what are they gonna come up with next?

Comment

I used to carry everything. Now pistol, mags, two cuffs, surefire, radio and baton.

Gloves are in my cargo pocket.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6632 users online. 356 members and 6276 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X