300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Penal Code

I'm still in the early stages of my academy and have been doing good so far. It's been all classroom stuff so far (part time academy) and I'm averaging a 97 so far, not too bad. CCP wasnt too bad, only missed 1 question. We're having our test on the Texas Penal Code soon and I'm not feeling too good about it. The deffinitions and such are not the problem, neither are the culpabilities, fines, age groups, sentance terms, ect. What I am having trouble with is memorizing/knowing what class most of the offenses are. Knowing what is a felony or what is a misdemeanor is pretty clear, but what class of each and knowing what would bump it up to the next level is proving to be a difficult thing for me to get a grasp on, there is just so much. I was wondering if any of yall had any tips or tricks how to assosiate the classes with the offense?

I know once I get on the street and actualy start dealing with these more often, and seeing it all in action, it will begin to fall into place and become 'common sence' to me, but I need to be able to pass the tests and have a good understanding of it all in order to get to that point!.

ANY tips and tricks for me (as well as to share with my classmates) are much appreciated.
    Last edited by 13MWZ; 03-23-2011, 10:39 PM.

13 years ago I didn't have to know that stuff, just the generalities. Fact of the matter is, that's what DA's are for at times and that's why they make a pocket version of the penal code. Immersion once you're on the street will tend to help you. Not that it will help you but alot of times, the DAs are the ones who enhance it once they review the case and the suspect CCH so having to know all the enhancements at your stage is a waste of time.

If you write them down over and over again, it should help you memorize.
    Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

Honestly, this is going to be hard to just learn because you would have to know all the enhancements and what not as well. You could try making flash cards to help you out. If it makes you feel any better, on my TCLEOSE I remember seeing maybe 2 or 3 questions that asked what level of offense this or that was. Like you said, you'll become more familiar with it as you go along on the street. Good luck to you.

Comment

Shoot, we all "cheat" anyways. I have my normal group of crimes I arrest for all the time, then the ones I'm not sure on, I consult the good book.

No real tricks to it. Even in the academy I just memorized for the test...
        “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

Originally posted by 13MWZ View Post
          I'm still in the early stages of my academy and have been doing good so far. It's been all classroom stuff so far (part time academy) and I'm averaging a 97 so far, not too bad. CCP wasnt too bad, only missed 1 question. We're having our test on the Texas Penal Code soon and I'm not feeling too good about it. The deffinitions and such are not the problem, neither are the culpabilities, fines, age groups, sentance terms, ect. What I am having trouble with is memorizing/knowing what class most of the offenses are. Knowing what is a felony or what is a misdemeanor is pretty clear, but what class of each and knowing what would bump it up to the next level is proving to be a difficult thing for me to get a grasp on, there is just so much. I was wondering if any of yall had any tips or tricks how to assosiate the classes with the offense?

I know once I get on the street and actualy start dealing with these more often, and seeing it all in action, it will begin to fall into place and become 'common sence' to me, but I need to be able to pass the tests and have a good understanding of it all in order to get to that point!.

ANY tips and tricks for me (as well as to share with my classmates) are much appreciated.
          The fact is there's only so much time to memorize things. You can't memorize it all (at least if you're like me). I would say focus more on the elements of the offenses themselves and the culpabilities more than what enhances them and what the sentencing ranges are. And I'm sure you've noticed with things like theft, criminal mischief, etc... where the offense depends on how much financial loss there is, it's pretty straightforward for the most part... $0-$49 = M/C, $50-$499 = M/B, $500-$1499 = M/A and so on. But some things like theft of service are $0-$19 = M/C. but for the most part they're all pretty similar, so you can kind of group those together and just remember which ones become a M/B at $20 and which ones become a M/B at $50.

Comment

Thanks yall. I guess I'm just letting it get to me. I feel I have a pretty good handle on the rest of it. If I miss a couple questions over it no biggie, but we were informed nobody in this academy has ever made a 100 on this test, I want to be the first.

Flash cards have never realy worked for me, but taking your advice I made some up last night and have been whiping them out each chance I've gotten today. I'll continue to do so untill the test. Even if it only helps with one question, it's better than not! Being a part time academy we dont have much time at all, somewhere around 40 hrs of instruction, to learn it. Luckly we have great instructors who keep things interesting.

Thanks for yall's replies, I feel a bit better about it all.

Comment

Majority of enhancements are:
              1. age
              2. weapon/force involved
              3. previous convictions
              3. Values Class C is less than 50, C=cheap, Class B is equal to 50 but less than 500, B=boy your dumb for stealing that TV/video game, Class A equal to 500 but less than 1,500, A=ay caramba, thats an expensive glock!, State Jail and all Felonies is you're f'ed, pitcher or catcher...better decide now.
              "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called Sons of God - Matthew 5:9

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3274 users online. 204 members and 3070 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X