Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agency Recommendations

First a little bit of background -

I am from California. As you know, the economy here is pretty much the worst possible. I have been trying to get into Law Enforcement here for almost 2 years, but for one reason or another it just hasn't worked out. Although I am a very competitive candidate, after having tested for about 10 agencies, I'm about to call it quits in CA and move elsewhere. Basically, agencies here just aren't hiring - they can't afford it. I've passed every written, physical, and interview I've had - then gone all the way through a background investigation just to have the agency tell me that the city council froze funding for the position... Anyway, enough griping.
    I currently have an application in with the US Border Patrol. I have passed everything except for the background investigation, which is pending. If I pass the background, I will be hired. HOWEVER, I would like to have a contingency plan just in case USBP doesn't work out and have decided that I will try applying in Texas. I have friends and family out there and think that the transition would be pretty manageable.

My question is: which agencies would you all recommend that I look into?
    A friend of mine who lives in Texas ( he's a retired SoCal cop) recommended that I look into Arlington PD (due to having a degree). Can anyone give me an opinion on this department?

The things I care about in an agency are:
    1. High speed - this is definitely the most important
    2. Camaraderie
    3. Excellent training
    4. Mobility within the department - details, promotional opportunities (for down the road a bit)
    And pretty much in that order.

And slightly less important - I'd prefer to be in/near an urban environment. I'd prefer to be in the eastern half of Texas (i.e., not in El Paso). And I'd also like to avoid any overly political departments (although coming from CA, I'll probably be fine with just about anywhere in that regard).

I don't want to come off as arrogant - as if I'm just going to walk on to any agency in the state. But I would like to start in the right place, and would really appreciate any input that you think can help me out.

I would check into these departments Fort Worth, Arlington, Garland, Grand Prairie, Irving, Austin. And if you want go south maybe Houston. When I was looking to move down here I read pretty much good things on all the departments listed. Fort Worth, Arlington, Irving, Austin, Houston are going to be your bigger departments with more specialized units definitely though.

Comment

Overly political= Arlington... just my opinion from reading and talking to officers in the area.. everything else Eric listed is right on, though.

Comment

Don't forget Mesquite.
        “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

Thanks guys - I appreciate the recommendations. I will be looking in to all of those departments.

Se7en - I hadn't heard that before. I'm definitely going to look into that as well.

Comment

Dont come down to Harris County, everyone is getting laid the **** off... My deparment just laid off 90 Deputies, I was included in that bunch...

Comment

try to stick with "mainstream" departments, like anything that has "Police Department" or "Sheriff's Office" in the name. Don't be swayed by other agencies, such as Constables, transportation agencies, etc. NOTHING against any of them, however when budget issues hit or something happens to the chain of command (such as an election) you run the risk of being cut (see above post)

With actual PDs and SOs, the city/county has plenty of options to change things before they get to the department...

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

You should apply for Rowlett. They will have a test next month.

Comment

Zurita - Sorry to hear that. I did see your post about that. Do you think many of the deputies that were laid off will go north and apply?

JT - It looks like I will be sticking with the "mainstream" departments - for a few reasons. I'm not really interested in working for a transit agency or as a constable - not that I have anything against them either. Also, I'm going to have to be flying out for the interview process. The larger departments seem more likely to have some sort of expedited process for those who are coming in from out of state. I was actually looking into Rowlett (as AnotherVietGuy suggested) and a few of the other departments mentioned above. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to apply, simply because it doesn't look like they expedite things - and more than 3 trips is just not really a possibility for me right now.
                  Another question - since you brought up the PD and the SO. What are the main differences in the two out there in TX? I know how these things generally work - just curious as to whether its different out there. Here, the biggest difference (especially to a new guy) is that the Sheriff runs the jails. This means that a new hire can (and usually WILL) get placed in a custody assignment before hitting patrol. And it may just be me, but here the Sheriff seems to be more of a "we take care of business" type of agency - whereas a PD will usually be a little bit "friendlier", if that makes sense. Of course, it could just be my perception. I understand the difference between the two as far as the Sheriff being an elected official and whatnot - so no need to explain all that.
                  Last edited by Marcus Antonius; 03-25-2011, 07:13 PM.

Comment

It strictly depends on the agency as far as if you end up at the jail right away or not. Some SOs are strictly jail, some are jails with some traffic guys, or some have a mix of both and even answer calls. Again, depends on the SO.

As far as SO "taking care of business" that also depends on the agency. For example: Garland PD and Mesquite PD are known as departments you don't f*** with.

Comment

I haven't seen anybody throw out McKinney yet. I can't speak to how high speed they are, but I know they have some good proactive officers out there. It's a good sized city at 100k+ population and they are growing fast.

Comment

I don't consider Houston as south. Go about 4-6 hrs south of houston, now you're in the south.
                        "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called Sons of God - Matthew 5:9

Comment

Originally posted by insomniac View Post
                          I haven't seen anybody throw out McKinney yet. I can't speak to how high speed they are, but I know they have some good proactive officers out there. It's a good sized city at 100k+ population and they are growing fast.
                          Good department. Plenty of fish. Heard once it's grown out it will be larger than Arlington.

Comment

you are going to have more specialized opportunities at ft worth or arlington but def. plus one on mesquite. balch springs is right next door and has a similar very aggressive attitude and constantly hire. mesquite from what i hear also has equipment that cant be beat.

Comment

Originally posted by JTShooter View Post
                              try to stick with "mainstream" departments, like anything that has "Police Department" or "Sheriff's Office" in the name. Don't be swayed by other agencies, such as Constables, transportation agencies, etc. NOTHING against any of them, however when budget issues hit or something happens to the chain of command (such as an election) you run the risk of being cut (see above post)

With actual PDs and SOs, the city/county has plenty of options to change things before they get to the department...
                              We are still hiring and putting people through the academy, unlike a lot of other places.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6583 users online. 358 members and 6225 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X