300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurt by inexperience

So, as far as I can tell, I'm still in the running for the recent department I interviewed with. However, I've realized something. I am well undertrained and inexperienced considering the amount of time I have been commissioned. I've been a reserve for a little over 2 years. For a year, at my last department, the cheif would not let the reserves do anything other than ride in the car. Whenever we were dealing with an incident, we had to babysit the subject while the others went off to discuss what to do.

This occured to me as I was being asked scenarios during the interview. I held my ground when they grilled me, however I am man enough to admit when my answer may have been wrong. I know the obvious answer is to spend more time down at my PD, but does anyone have any advice on how to handle this with potential employers?

Thanks.
    I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Rudy, my brother.. Answers in interviews are so freaking comical.. I say this because there's a right answer and then there's the answer they think they want to hear.. I have been fortunate to be on the other side of the hiring process and every interview I have had in Texas has resulted in the same answers from me, Granted I only have had 2 and both times I got the job, but the constant factor remains.. I have been adimant and secure about my answers!!!

I can say with certainty, that all most police dept's are looking for is a confident response!! What I may say in my interview and what you may say could be completely different, but if the end result is the same, thats all that matters.. Again I have been on the other side of interviewes and have been the one asking the questions and can say with a certainty that I was only looking for a confident response..

In law enforcement, there can be many answers to the same questions, but the confidence and final result is priceless...

Everytime I was asked a scenario question, I replied with the following, with all due respect no scenario in law enforcement is the same.. I can tell you what I think I would do in each scenario you ask me about, but I can't guarantee it's how I would actually respond. I can assure you though, I would handle every situatiuon with common sense and within the law. This answer has seemed to be the best in every scenario based question I have been asked, we all know that every single situation is different no matter what..

I can't remember 1 time where it has been questioned or been met with a negative response, I just assure them that I will follow common sense and the law to the best of my ability..
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck"

Comment

Rudy.....K9 is right on with his response. Been doing this a long time and have been on the other side of the table alot more than the one you’re on right now, but I look for confidence and good judgment in applicants response, knowing there are several possible right answers to the questions. You would not believe some of the wrong answers I have heard over the years to questions. "Pulling an elderly person through a window" is normally not a good first response to him/her failing to identify to you on a traffic stop, but I have heard more times than you would believe.

Comment

Well, I got my rejection letter from Wilmer today. I expected it, but its dissappointing to actually get it. Thanks for the advice. I guess it's back to the drawing board.
        I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

The key word here is decisiveness. Remember that. Good luck.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5099 users online. 303 members and 4796 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X