300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DPS helicopter/airplane pilot

Anybody on here one? I was looking for some more real life information on it than what I can get through the grapevine or on the website.

First of all, I don’t' work with DPS, but I am a pilot/ law enforcement officer and friends with a few of the guys in their aircraft side. Unless something has changed in the last few years, in order to get to the pilot side of things you are required to obtain at least your private pilot rating and have made it to Trooper 2 (4-5 years I think in service).

They also have started what is called a tactical flight officer position. This does not require a rating, but most who take this position are PPL rated just waiting for a pilot vacancy to come available. My friends and contacts at DPS who are pilots told me they have used the tactical flight officer position to see if that person is who they really want, and is up to the challenge before they invest money for all of the other ratings your are going to need to be a pilot for them. Those ratings include all the rotor ratings (instrument, commercial) that the FFA requires you to have to fly for a living. The TFO position is there to operate radios and all the other no equipment on board for operations.

You do have the opportunity to fly fixed wing, but he said that for the most part, the entry level pilot position is going to be flying helicopters. To fly fixed you are still going to need to be commercial and instrument rated in fixed wing. There is a link to the aviation service on their web site. I believe there are pictures of some of their aircraft and the list of qualifications that I mentioned above. If your already a pilot you probably are familiar with the pilot language I used, but if not, go to the FAA web site, Google, or even AOPA to get the information on ratings. Hope this has helped.

Comment

Originally posted by pkeely2010 View Post
      Anybody on here one? I was looking for some more real life information on it than what I can get through the grapevine or on the website.
      Im not from TX, but I am an LE pilot. Probably what your wanting to know, is how long do I have to work the street before I can fly? Right? C'mon.....admit it!

Comment

I would think that it would be highly competitive AND somewhat political, to get a position flying. Also with the way the budget is going, it is a line item expense that can be cut. But if you don't try, you never get there. Good luck.
        Ut humiliter opinor

Comment

I already know all about the TFO and how long it takes to be eligible and what the requirements are. Sorry to burst your bubble flying pig But I do appreciate the comments.

Comment

<< Thinking about getting an ultralite, equipping it with lights and a siren and becoming an LE pilot!!!

On a serious side, probably not alot of spots for something like that, I would never ever retire from a position like that!!
            "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck"

Comment

Let me preface I'm non LEO, however, I went through much of the DPS application process. I, too, also had desires to fly for DPS. I learned it was very competitive and some made it on with as little or less than a ppl. You will certainly want to make yourself as competitive as possible. I don't know what your ratings are, but I would try to get as many as you can considering the competition these days.
              "... Somewhere Between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace..."

Comment

We had the chance to spend the day w/a TX DPS heli and the crew.
                We had to film the route of a pursuit we had a few months back.
                Looks like a fun job and all the guys really liked their position
                Chris

XBOX Live: Citizen GaKar

http://i36.tinypic.com/1zoxgtc.gif

Comment

I am not in the aircraft division...yet. Maybe one day. However, I do work for the Department. I have had the opportunity to go up a couple times with them. Great bunch of guys. They have all spent time on the road and their first priority in regards to air support is to look out for us on the road. They always answer when needed. I don't have all the answers, but if there are none of the pilots or TFO's on here answering. I will tell you what I do know. PM me. Time for meal break.

Comment

Something else you might try. I've found a lot of their pilots on Linked In and if you send them a personal message, or get to know them through this method, you'll find some of them are really open to talking about their positions, how they got there, life in the unit, etc... Haven't met one yet that doesn't love it. Have met one that was a little reluctant to go but now says he won't be leaving until he retires. In any case, just be resourceful. You can find them. When you do, ask away.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2920 users online. 170 members and 2750 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X