• Show
Clear All

• Crimy
    replied
    Different strokes for different folks

Leave a comment:

• SCmike
    replied
    Man Trooper2795, awesome reply! I could not have stated it better. My brother became a deputy constable and he just got off writing tickets. I have no clue why. I told him there is a lot more to do than just that (i told him to read my charges and of course he did ). I know in his defense productivity is important in their precinct (just take a look at the layoffs >.<).

Leave a comment:

• FlashTACP
    replied
    +1

Originally posted by creedstaind View Post
    And this is the example I'm talking about when I say "abuse of power." Because that's what it is, nothing more and nothing less.

Leave a comment:

• creedstaind
    replied
    Originally posted by JustTalkin View Post
    I agree with the other posters, there's always a time, a place and person that needs a ticket but if your drop a bunch on em just because you can or you've already got your pen out, that's chicken s+*t.
    And this is the example I'm talking about when I say "abuse of power." Because that's what it is, nothing more and nothing less.

Leave a comment:

• jeffIL
    replied
    I'd think you were a jag unless they really earned it, BUT, my only problem was with the whole "abuse of power" thing.

Leave a comment:

• JustTalkin
    replied
    To all of you who think it's okay to load up with the tickets and send them on therir way. Ask yourself this. If I stop your wife, mother, grandmother, brother, sister, mistress, girlfriend or whatever for 10 over in a 45, 3 lane road, downhill, no residences and schools around, just a wide open road. Upon making contact I find they haven't changed their address from the recent move, the still have a corrective lens restriction on their license (even thought they had lasik a year ago) and when they stopped I noticed the center brake light wasn't working. Are you cool with me writing any of those people mentioned for all four of those violations?? If you say you are, you full of Bravo Sierra.. You know good and well if I dotted them all four of em, you'd be calling your buddy at my PD wanting to know what the hell my problem was or trying to start some crap about well you better not ever roll through my city. I agree with the other posters, there's always a time, a place and person that needs a ticket but if your drop a bunch on em just because you can or you've already got your pen out, that's chicken s+*t.
    Last edited by JustTalkin; 03-29-2011, 09:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• creedstaind
    replied
    Originally posted by Bar M View Post
    I wont disagree with that. I just look at the bottom line. Its a LAW. Personally I agree like you we shouldn't write a citation for everything we see for each contact, but I struggle to see it as an abuse. But we can agree to disagree!
    Yeah there are alot of things that are laws... doesn't mean you have to agree with all of them and enforce all of them every time you see it violated. But apparently I'm not a cop for this line of thinking and should get in line with the rest of the robots.

Leave a comment:

• Bar M
    replied
    Originally posted by creedstaind View Post
    It's nice to have the option though in case you need a reason for contact.
    I wont disagree with that. I just look at the bottom line. Its a LAW. Personally I agree like you we shouldn't write a citation for everything we see for each contact, but I struggle to see it as an abuse. But we can agree to disagree!

Leave a comment:

• Trooper2795
    replied
    Thats exactly what the reason is there for...a contact.

Leave a comment:

• creedstaind
    replied
    Originally posted by Bar M View Post

So if writing every violation is an abuse of power, then the true problem lies with the legislature for making the laws and penalties for each.
    But again, we as officers have discretion on whether or not we want to enforce it (by citing them). Unlike say.... a violation of a protective order where you SHALL arrest. The truth is this same legislature wouldn't even want officers writing tickets for every single violation they see because then there would be no one available to answer any calls. You can stop just about any car on the road for some reason or another if you look hard enough, but it doesn't necessarily mean they're a danger to anyone. It's nice to have the option though in case you need a reason for contact.

Leave a comment:

• Bar M
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffIL View Post
    I did read them. I didn't say anything at first until you started talking about ego trips and abusing power? Wtf are you talking about abusing power? How is that "abuse" when they are doing their job? Ego trips? Again...doing their job. Are you actually a cop?
    I agree with you jeffIL.

Texas law states what you can and can't do. Take this for example:

Sec. 545.104. SIGNALING TURNS; USE OF TURN SIGNALS. (a) An operator shall use the signal authorized by Section 545.106 to indicate an intention to turn, change lanes, or start from a parked position.
    (b) An operator intending to turn a vehicle right or left shall signal continuously for not less than the last 100 feet of movement of the vehicle before the turn.
    (c) An operator may not light the signals on only one side of the vehicle on a parked or disabled vehicle or use the signals as a courtesy or "do pass" signal to the operator of another vehicle approaching from the rear.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995

This is straight from the transportation code. This was presented to the legislature and agreed to by the legislature as a law. Now then:

Sec. 542.301. GENERAL OFFENSE. (a) A person commits an offense if the person performs an act prohibited or fails to perform an act required by this subtitle.
    (b) Except as otherwise provided, an offense under this subtitle is a misdemeanor.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

This too, was adopted and put into law by the Legislature. With that being said, If a person, me or any other citizen, fails to use the turn signal, a misdemeanor has been committed. The legislature believes that not using a turn signal is an offense and the consequence of not using it a punishment of a misdemeanor.

Now before anyone goes and says I'm on an "ego trip" or "abusing power" the legislature has made it my duty as an officer to enforce the Transportation Code and all the other codes in this state.

I write 75% warnings, which leaves for the mathematically challenged people, 25% citations. I believe that some people do make mistakes (whether it is error, lazyness, or too many laws to know) or just don't know that a light is out. I use the law to make a contact and if I'm lucky I find something good. Drugs, DWI, or Fugitive. I personally do not believe in writing every offense I see. The law gives us discretion on how we want to handle it, if a warning will get the message across to the public for voluntary compliance then go with a warning, but if a warning will not give voluntary compliance, write the citation. Yes as officers we are allowed to use our discretion but the law states as well that violations of these laws have a penalty.

So if writing every violation is an abuse of power, then the true problem lies with the legislature for making the laws and penalties for each.

Leave a comment:

• creedstaind
    replied
    I did read them. I didn't say anything at first until you started talking about ego trips and abusing power? Wtf are you talking about abusing power? How is that "abuse" when they are doing their job? Ego trips? Again...doing their job. Are you actually a cop?
    Clearly this thread has gone way above your head and you have no ability to think outside the box. I'm done replying to you.

Leave a comment:

• jeffIL
    replied

Leave a comment:

• creedstaind
    replied
    Maybe you didn't realize that writing tickets was part of the job when you signed up. It is what it is. You must be a blast to work with with such overwhelming support of your fellow coppers.
    I understand that writing tickets is part of the job and I do it when it needs to be done (again, have you read this entire thread?) but hiding behind a bush and citing the guy for barely rolling a stop sign when he's on his way to work, struggling to make ends meet in a recession, when he's never been in jail a day in his life, is not police work. It's power abuse. Especially if said officer is guilty of those very things himself, because I find it hard to believe everyone stops completely behind every stop line, uses a turn signal every time, inspects their vehicle for burned out lamps before pulling out of their driveway, etc. I never said any time someone writes someone a ticket that they're abusing their power. Try reading posts before making general assumptions about me.

Leave a comment:

• jeffIL
    replied
    Maybe you didn't realize that writing tickets was part of the job when you signed up. It is what it is. You must be a blast to work with with such overwhelming support of your fellow coppers.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4727 users online. 279 members and 4448 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X