Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a lot of good stuff in here. Harris County, Texas has the most DWI-related fatality crashes of any populous county in the U.S. Anyone attempting to save lives in this county should be more concerned with DWI arrests, rather than citations. This mainly applies to night shift. If you're on day shift, then cite-away because it becomes more difficult to find DWI violators during those hours.

Anyone who works nights in populous and even rural Texas counties knows you can hardly drive two blocks on a weekend night encountering a drunk.

Comment

10-4 on the above post!!!

TX CONSTABLE may be worried more about keeping his job than posting on here.. As active as he said he was, I'm willing to bet he is/was with the precinct that's fixing to drop some weight...

If you are good sir, I sure hope you have a good foundation when it comes to all around police work.. I'm willing to say that alot of bigger agencies won't be hiring due to budgets, so you may get a wake up call in policing in a smaller agency..
      Last edited by K9krazy21; 03-24-2011, 06:08 AM.
      "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck"

Comment

Originally posted by cjshsu
        Writing tickets is directly proportional to how pro-active you are and how many years you have on because if you work hard, you very quickly realize that there is more to life than cutting paper to people who can't afford to pay it anyway.
        I think in general that may be partially true, but I still see plenty of old heads that pretty much only write tickets and never do any real work. I still believe it boils down to power trips more than anything else.

Comment

Writing legitimate tickets is just as important as anything else in this line of work. I came from a place where there were a lot of Red and Blue lights to a place where you rarely see them... the difference is here I can't get out on the road without someone trying to drive their vehicle up my *** and just driving reckless in general. I'm not talking about chicken **** tickets, but enforcing speed and driving laws in general, IMO, is a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by creedstaind View Post
            I think in general that may be partially true, but I still see plenty of old heads that pretty much only write tickets and never do any real work. I still believe it boils down to power trips more than anything else.
            You sound like a member of the general public complaining that cops are on a "power trip" for doing their jobs. That's part of the job. My department has met with members of the community and you know what their number one concern was? Traffic. Overwhelmingly. They don't care about gangs. They don't care about residential burglaries. They worry about the cars they see speeding on their streets. Does that mean that's all we do? Of course not, but just because you think writing tickets is bs doesn't make it so.
            For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

Originally posted by jeffIL View Post
              You sound like a member of the general public complaining that cops are on a "power trip" for doing their jobs. That's part of the job. My department has met with members of the community and you know what their number one concern was? Traffic. Overwhelmingly. They don't care about gangs. They don't care about residential burglaries. They worry about the cars they see speeding on their streets. Does that mean that's all we do? Of course not, but just because you think writing tickets is bs doesn't make it so.
              Yeah, I love those folks who care about speeders. They are the ones who start disturbances on the side of the road because they yell at passing drivers who they 'think' are speeding. Then we go out and clean up the mess after they get their posteriors handed to them. My first question is, speeding huh? You have a radar gun? Then I get to show them how fast 20mph looks on a residential street and then how fast 30mph looks and they all say I was speeding.....until I tell them how fast I was really going. They are also normally the first people who get pulled over by a unit who is running traffic at their request and then complain about catching "real criminals."
              Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

That's pretty accurate! But...its what they want! My only point is that writng tickets isn't about an ego trip. Pretty hard to say just because you're doing your job that's what it means. Attitude has a lot more to do with ego trips than writng tickets.
                For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

Comment

If their biggest concern is speeding then they've got it pretty well off. Affluent neighborhood I'm guessing? If they've gotten their door kicked in and their TV stolen even once I guarantee you they'll forget all about these so called dangerous speeders and will be demanding someone do something about burglaries.

And if I sound like a member of the general public that's complaining about cops being on a power trip, that's because I am. Just because I'm a cop doesn't mean I'm not also a part of society. And it doesn't mean I have to have some kind of blind allegiance to the badge where I'm ok with my co-workers acting any ol' way they want to because they can. Again I feel like the vast majority of officers these days are more concerned about the letter of the law instead of the spirit of the law. And I'm not 100% against writing tickets. Again, if someone needs a ticket, I'll be the first to write it, but my definition of when someone really deserves one is probably different than most. I pretty much write tickets when someone does something completely stupid, where they're clearly not paying attention, something that could hurt someone. That's when i write. I'm not the kind of guy to hide behind the bush and bust the guy who doesn't quite stop completely at the stop sign when there's not another car around for miles.

Comment

And that's fine if that's YOUR philosophy. Just because other people feel differently doesn't mean they are on an ego trip. It takes all different kinds of cops to make the world go round.

Comment

And that's fine if that's YOUR philosophy. Just because other people feel differently doesn't mean they are on an ego trip. It takes all different kinds of cops to make the world go round.
                      So basically you're saying I should just ignore when an officer is on a power trip and is essentially abusing his power? You can follow the transportation code to a T and still be abusing your power. It's not physical abuse like a Rodney King situation, but it's financial abuse.

Comment

No, im saying you're absolutely ridiculous saying that cops are abusing their power by doing their jobs. Probably one of dumber statements I've seen on here in a long time.

Comment

No, im saying you're absolutely ridiculous saying that cops are abusing their power by doing their jobs. Probably one of dumber statements I've seen on here in a long time.
                          Have you even read this entire thread? I'm not saying they're abusing their power by doing their job. I'm saying that citing good honest people for everything you can find is power abuse. If you disagree, that's fine, but if you're that kind of cop I hope no one shows you mercy any time you need some.

Comment

Maybe you didn't realize that writing tickets was part of the job when you signed up. It is what it is. You must be a blast to work with with such overwhelming support of your fellow coppers.

Comment

Maybe you didn't realize that writing tickets was part of the job when you signed up. It is what it is. You must be a blast to work with with such overwhelming support of your fellow coppers.
                              I understand that writing tickets is part of the job and I do it when it needs to be done (again, have you read this entire thread?) but hiding behind a bush and citing the guy for barely rolling a stop sign when he's on his way to work, struggling to make ends meet in a recession, when he's never been in jail a day in his life, is not police work. It's power abuse. Especially if said officer is guilty of those very things himself, because I find it hard to believe everyone stops completely behind every stop line, uses a turn signal every time, inspects their vehicle for burned out lamps before pulling out of their driveway, etc. I never said any time someone writes someone a ticket that they're abusing their power. Try reading posts before making general assumptions about me.

Comment

I did read them. I didn't say anything at first until you started talking about ego trips and abusing power? Wtf are you talking about abusing power? How is that "abuse" when they are doing their job? Ego trips? Again...doing their job. Are you actually a cop?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4361 users online. 240 members and 4121 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X