300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• License Plate Frames

Interesting thing happened the other night...

watched this guy conduct a little transaction and drive off from the apartment complex... got behind him, but of course he was looking for me and decided to do everything right. His registration was valid and everything was fine on his vehicle with the exception of the license plate frame. It blocked the state... only issue is that he had a N.Mexico plate. My question is: I know if the frame is covering any part of the word "Texas" on the plate it's a violation... would that cover out of state plates too? I would think so since the who reason to not have the state covered is to know where it came from... I asked a traffic officer but he wasn't sure...

And if you're wondering:
    I followed a bit, then he pulled into a gas station and sat. I drove by and set up down the road blacked out. He waited a little, then pulled off. He was so busy looking for me that he didn't stop while exited the gas station and ran the red light at the intersection. Got me some dope and a gun.
    “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Perfectly legal stop. Since we dont know NM laws, all we can do is enforce TX laws, which we all know what it says concerning the state name. Even if it's legal in NM, it's not here, and you are covered by stopping him in good faith.

Comment

thats not longer PC for a stop and against the law. We had that law revoked in legislation recently I believe

Comment

that's what I was thinking... I just try to make sure I have good "reasonable" violations when I pull people over, as I'm usually looking for more then just writing tickets and I don't want to risk what I find being thrown out due to some crappy reason for contact...

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

Disregard this thread. Did some digging and found the most recent senate bill on this subject and it clearly states "alters or obscures one-half or more of the name of the state in which the vehicle is registered;" so I'm going to take that as meaning it doesn't need to be a Texas plate. Outstanding.

Texas Senate Bill 369
          Last edited by JTShooter; 10-08-2010, 02:09 PM.

Comment

"Such a measure passed the full House on Thursday, saying that a license plate's letters, numbers and state would have to be substantially obscured before it rose to a violation of the law."

Heres my take...if you might have something good once you get the stop, Id make sure its a iron clad violation. The last thing you want is dope thrown out cause the bracket didnt cover enough of the word Texas.

Comment

TC 502.409 (a) (6)....in short says any attachment not authorized by law that inteerferes with the readibility of the state the vehicle is registered. So, 100% legal

Comment

No where in there does it say what percent of the letters or numbers have to be covered, just that it inteferes with the readibility.

Comment

Ib Arkansas it would have been a legit stop.

Comment

Originally posted by rx8racr View Post
                    Heres my take...if you might have something good once you get the stop, Id make sure its a iron clad violation. The last thing you want is dope thrown out cause the bracket didnt cover enough of the word Texas.
                    I'm with you on that. I prefer to have at least two good violations for the stop. I don't go for crap like "failure to signal when leaving a curb" or something like that... I really like non-moving violations, as it's hard for them to fight that.. and the plate frame will be visible on camera...

The only way I knew it was a N.Mexico plate is because of the color and funky design...

Comment

Maybe in Arlington, but not in 90% of the rest of the country. That was always a pet peve of mine when I was on Patrol. Plate frames only make our job harder and we are the ones to blame for letting them proliferate the way they have across the country.
                      Hey Kidd, I've got more time On Meal than you have "On the Job"

Comment

"Such a measure passed the full House on Thursday, saying that a license plate's letters, numbers and state would have to be substantially obscured before it rose to a violation of the law."

Where is your quote from? I stop for this plenty.
                        No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we require him to obey it.
                        -Theodore Roosevelt

The views expressed by this screen name do not represent any civilian,municipal, military, or federal law enforcement agency and are strictly the views of the individual writing. Under no circumstances should someone consider the content of these posts to have anything less than a great deal of sarcasm interlaced throughout. Read at your own risk.

Comment

Found the news article your cited rx8racr. The link JTShooter posted earlier is the correct statute. I cannot find anything about the 2009 legislature changing that law. If you can, please advise...
                          No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we require him to obey it.
                          -Theodore Roosevelt

The views expressed by this screen name do not represent any civilian,municipal, military, or federal law enforcement agency and are strictly the views of the individual writing. Under no circumstances should someone consider the content of these posts to have anything less than a great deal of sarcasm interlaced throughout. Read at your own risk.

Comment

Sec. 502.409. WRONG, FICTITIOUS, ALTERED, OR OBSCURED LICENSE PLATE. (a) A person commits an offense if the person attaches to or displays on a motor vehicle a number plate or registration insignia that:
                            (1) is assigned to a different motor vehicle;
                            (2) is assigned to the vehicle under any other motor vehicle law other than by the department;
                            (3) is assigned for a registration period other than the registration period in effect;
                            (4) is fictitious;
                            (5) has blurring or reflective matter that significantly impairs the readability of the name of the state in which the vehicle is registered or the letters or numbers of the license plate number at any time;
                            (6) has an attached illuminated device or sticker, decal, emblem, or other insignia that is not authorized by law and that interferes with the readability of the letters or numbers of the license plate number or the name of the state in which the vehicle is registered; or
                            (7) has a coating, covering, protective material, or other apparatus that:
                            (A) distorts angular visibility or detectability;
                            (B) alters or obscures one-half or more of the name of the state in which the vehicle is registered; or
                            (C) alters or obscures the letters or numbers of the license plate number or the color of the plate.
                            (b) Except as provided by Subsection (f), an offense under Subsection (a) is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not more than $200, unless it is shown at the trial of the offense that the owner knowingly altered or made illegible the letters, numbers, and other identification marks, in which case the offense is a Class B misdemeanor.
                            (c) Subsection (a)(7) may not be construed to apply to:
                            (1) a trailer hitch installed on a vehicle in a normal or customary manner;
                            (2) a transponder, as defined by Section 228.057, that is attached to a vehicle in the manner required by the issuing authority;
                            (3) a wheelchair lift or wheelchair carrier that is attached to a vehicle in a normal or customary manner;
                            (4) a trailer being towed by a vehicle; or
                            (5) a bicycle rack that is attached to a vehicle in a normal or customary manner.
                            (d) A court may dismiss a charge brought under Subsection (a)(3), (5), (6), or (7) if the defendant:
                            (1) remedies the defect before the defendant's first court appearance; and
                            (2) pays an administrative fee not to exceed $10.
                            (e) Repealed by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 30.66, eff. Sept. 1, 1997.
                            (f) An offense under Subsection (a)(4) is a Class B misdemeanor.

Comment

If the bracket covers the whole name of the state thats pretty much iron clad. Your not sure what state their from other than the design. Good PC!
                              Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4745 users online. 326 members and 4419 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X