300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which HPD staions do you prefer?

Just to pass the grueling time to hear from my recruiter, I was wondering about the different areas of HPD. I know top of class gets to pick? If I were to be so honored, which do you veterens prefer or have opinions about? I live in the Cypress area. Comuting is not much of an issue since I belive that I will be on the night shift for a very long time. I heard that central has a good conglomerate of things. I am a little leary of Northeast, I know that some officers seek the major action. Northwest just doesn't have the restaurants! I dread lunch in Cypress to the loop! Just whatever detail info about the stations would be greatly appreciated. I realize that each area overlaps in stuff but I know that Houston is a huge melting pot of culture and realize that it will be my life on those streets. How is it perceived through your eyes as an officer?
    Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.

the north shepard substation is pretty good...BBQ places near it....not much on the southeast station...its pretty bad over there....south central is close to downtown and med center....northeast is near my mom's house...pretty bad over there,,,and dark....
    SOON----GLOCK 23
    REMINGTON 870 POLICE PUMP-TACTICAL
    SMITH&WESSON 642 AIRWEIGHT....5+P
    RUGER LCP .380 W CT LASER SIGHT

SOON:
    S&W M&P 15-22

Comment

I trained and worked at South Central for several years, and have no regrets. It covers the east end, third ward, med center, rice university area, and midtown. There is a good mix of different types of neighborhoods and demographics.

Comment

runaround
        did south central move into a new building?
        SOON----GLOCK 23
        REMINGTON 870 POLICE PUMP-TACTICAL
        SMITH&WESSON 642 AIRWEIGHT....5+P
        RUGER LCP .380 W CT LASER SIGHT

SOON:
        S&W M&P 15-22

Comment

Yup. Moved out of the old converted elementary school and into a new station in 2006 I think. It is much better.

Comment

I enjoy Midwest. There's a little bit of everything out there. You have the "ghettos" of Sharpstown and the upscale area of the Galleria/Uptown/Tanglewood and everything in between. If you want something, you can definitely find it.

Comment

Thanks for the input. More questions What areas do you live pertaining to your commute? I need to start thinking about trading in my gas guzzler and getting something economical. Did you guys work the nightshifts there? I am guessing that once you are assigned to a station you stay there or are transfers common or very rare? My wife works in the medical center and she says that once dayshift is available for me I'm going to dread the ride to work. We live in Northwest Houston 290 area close to Cypress and as everyone knows 290 is a gridlock.

Comment

Caspian, It all depends on where you finish in the class and then how many slots are available at each station, we had a bunch of people want to go to one particular station because rumors stated that station was the place to go, so a bunch of people who lived near there didn't end up there. Some people chose to go near where they live...that's how I did it. Some got what was available out of the academy, then six months later everbody shows back up together to pick a permanent assignment, once again based on rank and availability. Most people get what they want, but a few don't and some honestly don't care. I encourage you to work hard in the academy to have a high class rank then your odds improve. On the bright side I don't think you will have to worry about the traffic of a day shift commute for the next 10-15 years. Just my 2 cents.
                Last edited by nep2000; 11-11-2009, 01:50 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally posted by nep2000 View Post
                  On the bright side I don't think you will have to worry about the traffic of a day shift commute for the next 10-15 years. Just my 2 cents.
                  By this you mean 10-15 years of the graveyard shift? Would like to see my wife and unborn children. That is tough to swallow. I figure 5 years max. I have always been top pecentage in academics and athletics but 10-15years of night shifts? I have to be honest with myself thats a while in the dark. I don't want to sound a like a weenie, I have gone through the grinder and spent 8 plus years in college graduating with a doctorate. I have always wanted to be a cop. My wife asked me if money was'nt an issue what would I want to do different? You know my answer, but I would like a life with her and family and don't mind putting in rookie time. Thanks for your reply. I'm in my late 30s just have to chew on that if this is the case.

Comment

Don't worry about it until you are hired and done with the academy. You never know.. You may get lucky and grab an available evening shift spot. That's somewhat of a normal schedule. Getting on day shift really depends on your station and the seniority level there. My classmate already has day shift and we've been on right under 3 years.

Comment

North but i'm partial. Been there for two months now and I love it. It is where I wanted to go after probabtion anyways. Each beat really has its own little characteristics regarding people and what happens. It's fun.

Comment

Originally posted by 1313 View Post
                        Don't worry about it until you are hired and done with the academy. You never know.. You may get lucky and grab an available evening shift spot. That's somewhat of a normal schedule. Getting on day shift really depends on your station and the seniority level there. My classmate already has day shift and we've been on right under 3 years.
                        Yeah, thats more like it! Good to hear! Thats sounds more reasonable. Now if that poly would just be scheduled...

Comment

Caspian,
                          What these other guys have said is all correct, you may go to a station that has a lot of turnover and gain seniority relatively quickly. You may go to a popular place that people tend to grow roots at. You may get an evening shift spot, all of these are wait and see options. I guess long story short, you won't get concrete answer until you are choosing a station for a permanent assignment. I do applaud you in getting your Doctorate and pursuing this line of work it is truly a priceless job, but with your education you will get a pay incentive, it won't however have any effect on seniority.
                          Good luck.

Comment

Thanks Nep for the post. Where are you stationed? Any details you would like to share?

Comment

Seniority

When you do graduate the Academy and finish training, you'll be on either Night or Evenings. A lot of people on nights have school aged children and it works great for them. Single guys usually like evenings.

There is much much less police work to be done on Day shift and I think you'll find that eventually you wont even want to work those hours.

You should convince yourself now that working on weekends and at night or during the evening will become the norm. You wont be disappointed that way. There are officers with less than five years on that work days, but that's not common, and surely, they don't have weekends off.

You have to put in your time, but as a general rule, the larger the station the better, if you want better days off and shift.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6216 users online. 347 members and 5869 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X