Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to charge someone for speeding without Speed Radar?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to charge someone for speeding without Speed Radar?

which is the best charge to get someone for speeding escpecially in a school zone when I aint got a radar gun? Reckless Driving? Unsafe Speed? How would I justify them in court?
    Last edited by propilot5000; 10-08-2009, 01:01 AM.

Pace??? I would say reckless driving has to be more than speeding. Before I arrest for reckless driving, I want to see a reaction by other driver's/pedestrians, due to the actions of the suspect. Speeding alone does not constitute reckless driving(as far as I'm concerned.) Ugh, that's a good question homie! The only time I would charge someone for unsafe speed is if the suspect has to take some type of evasive action due to his speed for the current roadway conditions... Soooo, my post was pretty much worthless, but oh well, move on..

Comment

Visual observation, pacing, find 2 fixed objects that you know their distance, and time the cars going through it.

Maybe could do a disregard traffic control device.

Comment

In Georgia we have "too fast for conditions". This is used when the conditions and not necessarily the posted speed limit is the problem. In your case the school zone would fit.
        Due to the Juvenile bickering and annoying trolling committed by members of this forum I have started an igore list. If your name is listed below I can't see you.

CityCopDC, Fire Moose, Carbonfiberfoot, Damiansolomon

Comment

Here its Reasonable and Prudent.
          "Rollin and Patrollin the Wild Wild West of Bham"

Comment

In this day and age have your department find you one. If its new then great, if not there are plenty of old units around.

As for charging someone with reckless driving, and taking them to jail for just speeding in a school zone wont fly. As for the unsafe speed, as mentioned above there is going to have to be a some sort of action taken on the drivers part. ie: passing cars in the outside lane with childern walking on the sidewalk.

Comment

O.k., a couple months ago when school started back up again I saw a cop clocking people at the end of a school zone (20mph). I think he had a motorcycle with him, but he didn't use it. When he caught a guy, he just walked out in the middle of the road and flagged the car down and made him pull into the parking lot. I saw him doing the same thing the next morning. Maybe it's common, and I've just never seen it. Seems kinda dangerous considering how many people are on their phones texting these days. Then again, I can see the convenience in not having to actually get on the road and go after the guy and leave your spot.
              Any of you guys ever do this?
              "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

Originally posted by adeutch View Post
                Seems kinda dangerous considering how many people are on their phones texting these days...Any of you guys ever do this?
                Yes, especially while running Lidar. Also, it's now unlawful for drivers to talk on their phones or text while driving through a school zone.
                sigpic

" 'Blessed are the Peacemakers', is, I suppose, to be understood in the other world, for in this one they are frequently cursed." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by kcso View Post
                  Yes, especially while running Lidar. Also, it's now unlawful for drivers to talk on their phones or text while driving through a school zone.
                  Not in Austin yet, I don't believe. Or at least I haven't noticed any signs posted yet.
                  "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

Not in Austin yet, I don't believe. Or at least I haven't noticed any signs posted yet.
                    True, signs have to be posted first.
                    sigpic

" 'Blessed are the Peacemakers', is, I suppose, to be understood in the other world, for in this one they are frequently cursed." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

we have signs posted for no cell phones in our school zones

Comment

Easier than Reckless Driving would be a cite for Fail to Control Speed. If you can articulate how they were out of control, there you go. Just as good as a radar speeding ticket, no?

Of course, if they are in control but going 50 / 30, is what you want to know, I suppose. Don't y'all even have an old handheld in a cabinet somewhere?
                        If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

I take that back. The signs are up now in Austin. Just saw one yesterday. Much smaller than the regular sign and kinda hard to read while driving, but I guess people will learn when they start getting $200 cell phone tickets.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2407 users online. 139 members and 2268 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X