300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering a move to Austin

Thinking about finally getting out of this crazy state of mine and getting a change of pace. I've been thinking about Austin PD. I've been told Kyle is a good community to raise a family in.

How is the PD for out of state laterals? Going to call the recruiter this week but was curious how the city is and how the surrounding area is.
    "No sir, we don't have quotas anymore. We used to have quotas, but now we're allowed to write as many tickets as we want."

Originally posted by Goforth View Post
    Thinking about finally getting out of this crazy state of mine and getting a change of pace. I've been thinking about Austin PD. I've been told Kyle is a good community to raise a family in.

How is the PD for out of state laterals? Going to call the recruiter this week but was curious how the city is and how the surrounding area is.
    I may be wrong, but I thought APD does not do lateral hires. Plus they get so many applicants, their 2010 academy is full and they'll soon be accepting applicants for 2011, so there is a long wait.

Besides that, working in Austin 6 days a week has shown me that you dont want to live in Austin Proper. Round Rock, Georgetown, Pflugerville, and Cedar Park to the north are nice places, and Kyle and Buda to the south are too.

Comment

Originally posted by CenTex View Post
      I may be wrong, but I thought APD does not do lateral hires. Plus they get so many applicants, their 2010 academy is full and they'll soon be accepting applicants for 2011, so there is a long wait.

Besides that, working in Austin 6 days a week has shown me that you dont want to live in Austin Proper. Round Rock, Georgetown, Pflugerville, and Cedar Park to the north are nice places, and Kyle and Buda to the south are too.
      A buddy of mine who has family out in Texas talked to a recruiter and found out a little info. Glad I don't have to do another academy.

Wife wants to take a vacation out there at the beginning of the year, so we are going to pack the kids up and take a trip. We both are so fed up with this state and the want to find a good place to raise our kids before they get too much older.
      "No sir, we don't have quotas anymore. We used to have quotas, but now we're allowed to write as many tickets as we want."

Comment

Goforth, i to made the move to austin about three years back, from so cal. this place has grown on me, dont get me wrong i do miss so cal.

i was a civi with an SO back home, so i had to put myself through an academy. APD has an outstanding salary which makes it real tempting.

Comment

Originally posted by El_Federal View Post
          Goforth, i to made the move to austin about three years back, from so cal. this place has grown on me, dont get me wrong i do miss so cal.

i was a civi with an SO back home, so i had to put myself through an academy. APD has an outstanding salary which makes it real tempting.
          I think one of my biggest concerns right now is the retirement. We have the 3 @ 50 and I'm not sure if its transferrable yet. Working 15 -16 hour days right now so I haven't had much time to call them. I'm also curious what step I'd start out at.

I know I'd have to take a pay cut but the wife and I are going to sit down and figure out how big of a hit we can take.

Comment

yeah, Its a long road to get on with APD. There are plenty of smaller agencies around Austin. As far as pay not sure what you make, but more than likely you will be taking a pay cut. The cost of living here isn't all that bad too.

Comment

I currently live in Austin and recently made the eligibility list for the 2010 academy. I have a pretty good (non-LEO) job right now, and I will have to take a big pay cut to go through the academy, but it's a very liveable wage and it's only for 8 mos. Also, as you probably saw on the website, there are two sizeable raises at your first and second anniversary. So although there will be a paycut at first, within 3 years I'll be making 50% more than I'm making now. There are also pretty good salary incentives for education, FTO, bilingual, shift differential, etc. So as far as salary, I don't think it's a bad move.
              The real setback is the length of the application process.
              I think Austin is a great city to live in as long as you can handle the heat. The trade off is the mild winter. You'll go 5 or more years here without even seeing ice.
              "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

I think one of my biggest concerns right now is the retirement. We have the 3 @ 50 and I'm not sure if its transferrable yet.
                As far as I know, none of your retirement is transferrable into our retirement (pension) system. You can purchase 2 years of eligible prior service back from the city to increase your pension.

You may be able to transfer your current retirement into our 457b (deferred comp), which is a completely different retirement than our pension.

Working 15 -16 hour days right now so I haven't had much time to call them. I'm also curious what step I'd start out at.
                As far as I know, we are not doing any modified academies right now, so you would have to go through the regular academy. You would start out the same the same as everyone else that graduates the academy.

Comment

Goforth, if you haven't considered it, you can challenge the TCLEOSE test and get your certification. Here is their requirements for out of state officers: TCLEOSE.

In Texas, your retirement is either through Texas County and District Retirement, TCDRS, or through Texas Municipal Retirement, TMRS. Through TCDRS, you are given matching funds upon retirement. For my agency, they match 2 for 1 and it's I think Rule of 71. Your age plus years of service had to equal 71. Check out their site for clarification.

I do know they won't allow you to transfer your retirement to theirs.

sigpic

" 'Blessed are the Peacemakers', is, I suppose, to be understood in the other world, for in this one they are frequently cursed." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by kcso View Post
                    Goforth, if you haven't considered it, you can challenge the TCLEOSE test and get your certification. Here is their requirements for out of state officers: TCLEOSE.

In Texas, your retirement is either through Texas County and District Retirement, TCDRS, or through Texas Municipal Retirement, TMRS. Through TCDRS, you are given matching funds upon retirement. For my agency, they match 2 for 1 and it's I think Rule of 71. Your age plus years of service had to equal 71. Check out their site for clarification.

I do know they won't allow you to transfer your retirement to theirs.

you can challenge all you want but you still have to do the academy in Austin. And another thing to think of as far as pay goes sure you might make a touch more where your at but i bet the check will go farther here than it does there. Austin has our own retirement we dont use the state.

Comment

Who in the world would want to work in Austin, they have their nuts cut!

What a political & liberal mess. That town is heading the wrong way with its police dept and it is going to haunt them in the long run when the kid gloves approach to dealing with trash comes home to roost!

Comment

Originally posted by LT Dangle View Post
                        Who in the world would want to work in Austin, they have their nuts cut!

What a political & liberal mess. That town is heading the wrong way with its police dept and it is going to haunt them in the long run when the kid gloves approach to dealing with trash comes home to roost!
                        Well thank you for your two cents worth you can climb back in your hole now thank you.

Comment

Austin isn't what it used to be. I get claustrophobic every time I drive through there. It is now the Seattle of the South with all the liberal infestation. It might be a good department, I have no idea, but I wouldn't want to live there. I'd have to live out in the areas CenTex mentioned.

Goforth, I'm not sure, but I think what Powerstroked was trying to say was, even with a Texas peace officer license, you'd still have to go to their academy for their local ordinances, policies and such. You should do yourself a favor and check out the other agencies on the area too. Round Rock PD looks like a good place to work with a take home car, decent pay and other incentives.
                          sigpic

" 'Blessed are the Peacemakers', is, I suppose, to be understood in the other world, for in this one they are frequently cursed." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Your right i could never live in Austin and I dont. I live over 30 mins away from the sub. There have been roomers about a modified class but as far as i know that is just roomer. As far as Austin as a whole goes you take the fact that 1. Its the state capital 2. its a college town and combine those to and its not a good mix for someone that is of the conservative mindset. But as far as a department to work at I feel that I could have done a lot worse.

I look at it this way do I wanna deal with baby mamma drama on the street 15 years from now? No I do not. I will have the chance to move to a specialized unit (if there is a spot open and after the next class comes out) here very soon. And if anyone that knows me and know what I like to hunt then you know what unit I hope to go to one day (thats our DWI unit for those of you that dont know me). I can think of nothing better then getting paid to yoke up dwi's all night. I dont know if other departments in this area have the same kind of set up as we do as far as a 55 unit but I would think that in a smaller department even if your a hot runner it will take much long to get the opportunity to do something of that nature.

Comment

Yeah, Austin is a "liberal" city. If you can't bear the sight of an Obama bumper sticker and are terrified by the sight of two men holding hands, then I'm gonna say this is not the city for you. But is that the bottom line? I think you have to ask how living in a city like that is likely to really affect you.

I've had to deal with the same considerations when deciding to pursue a career in law enforcement. Many of the people I work with will be different from me. I've never served in the military, and my voting record is more "blue" than "red".. just to name a couple examples. I don't plan on talking politics much during election season or anything not related to law enforcement. Before moving back to Austin I lived for 8 years in a much more conservative city and got along just fine.

If you're unsure about Austin's liberal environment but are still interested in what central Texas has to offer, I agree there are some nice departments just outside of Austin, including Cedar Park, Round Rock, and Hutto. But before ruling out Austin, ask yourself what kinds of things really matter to you about where you live.
                              "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4074 users online. 211 members and 3863 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X