• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JTShooter View Post
    I just tell them I'm a firefighter...
    That's a line I will not cross.
    sigpic

" 'Blessed are the Peacemakers', is, I suppose, to be understood in the other world, for in this one they are frequently cursed." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by kcso View Post
      Yes, we are garbage collectors.
      Funny you mentioned that. I tell people I am a garbage man sometimes. After all, the trash we pick up is society's trash.

Comment

When I was on my cruise without ANY weapon I told people I was in Adult Daycare.

Comment

thanks for the replies guys...my original post was more so asking how do you explain to family and friends your reasoning behind not wanting other people to know that you are an officer...not what you tell people you do for a living...

im getting tired of people bringing up the fact that im an officer when people i dont know are around....im sure some of you guys have the same problem?

Comment

You shouldn't need a reason beyond the fact that you asked. You requesting that they not go around telling people what you do for a living should be enough.

But, if you need an answer beyond that, tell them that certain people in this world would do you and them harm for no reason other than what you do for a living. Tell them that officers have been executed off-duty for no other reason than it was discovered who they were. Plus people act differently around cops. Even people who aren't doing anything wrong feel that they can't be themselves around cops. People tend to think we are suspicious about other people (which we are) and they know we have a built in BS detector. People often tense up around us. Cops are thought of as buzz-kills and party poopers. Being a cop can be a mood killer fast. Once someone knows you they know you're basically just a regular person when you're off duty. But when people just meet you and find out you're a cop, they may not give you the opportunity to get to know you. We are stereotyped as much as any other group I have ever seen in my life. And then the stupid questions begin. That gets old fast.

Really if your friends and family can't understand that, then there isn't a lot you can do.

Comment

Originally posted by c3troop View Post
              When the black and white is parked in the driveway it's a little hard for people to not know what you do
              I always tell them I stole it and tell them the Troopers will be here any minute to get it back. The look is priceless. It only worked once though
              GySgt USMC(Retired)

Once Marine, Always Marine

Courtesy Service Protection.............any questions?

Don't be a 99 on my route

Late at night a chill in the air, black and whites were everywhere, because nothing in this world is free, a Trooper's life was made for me.

Comment

Originally posted by SATexas View Post
                thanks for the replies guys...my original post was more so asking how do you explain to family and friends your reasoning behind not wanting other people to know that you are an officer...not what you tell people you do for a living...

im getting tired of people bringing up the fact that im an officer when people i dont know are around....im sure some of you guys have the same problem?
                SOI listed some of the reasons. My family already understands why, but I've had to tell a couple friends "I'd prefer you not announce what I do for a living when you introduce me, I will tell people in my own time if and when I choose to." Some have asked why I "don't want anyone to know", and rather than a long explanation I tell them that people react in strange ways and I'd just prefer they get to know me first, and because some people tend to believe bad stereotypes about cops. That's usually enough for them to understand.

I have one friend who said she totally understands, she feels the same way telling people what she does - she works for the IRS! lol

I find people like to talk about themselves, so if someone at a party asks me "So what do you do for a living?" as an ice breaker, I say "Oh let's not talk about me, tell me about YOU! What do you do?" Seems to work every time!
                "Of course America had often been discovered before Columbus, but it had always been hushed up."

Comment

Funny, just last night, a buddy of mine and I were at a manager's reception at a high end hotel, having a drink with the manager (of all people, no sh*t). An assistant manager rolls up, she (the manager) introduces him to us, and of course, we are introduced as cops. Then, a few minutes later, the assistant manager's wife shows up, and he introduces her to all of us "This is the manager, xxxxxxx, and these are her two 'Law Enforcement Friends'". They then promptly disappeared.

I hate that sh*t. But, the manager was hot. Spent some quality time with her. So it was all good anyway.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6237 users online. 341 members and 5896 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X