X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun Law Question

This is from another forum.

His post:
    "Im 18. Can i have a pistol with me in my truck? It was a gift from my dad, so it is registered to him. But as long as it is not in plain sight in the truck i should be okay right?"

I say no, everyone else says yes.

I've read Chapter 46 which states nothing about age and possession of a handgun. A little help please.

Ya cant have a CHL until your 21. You cant make a weapon accessible to someone younger than 17.

I dont know. What would you charge him with?

Comment

But a person doesn't need a CHL to have it in their vehicle. And he's not under 17. So what, nothing?

Comment

Im goin to have to say he's legal.

Comment

There is nothing preventing him from keeping it in the vehicle as long as it's not in plain site. He can even have it shoved down his pants while driving as long as you can't see it. CHL does not apply to this statute.

Just a heads up in case some of you don't know, but the new law is that CHL holders don't have to let you know anymore or present their card. So I've added a 8th step to my violator contact which is to ask them if there are any weapons in the vehicle.

Of course the bad guys won't say yes, but the regular Joes might and that may prevent them from being taken out at gunpoint if we happen to see it. Stay aware and stay safe.
          Last edited by kcso; 09-17-2009, 12:25 AM. Reason: because
          sigpic

" 'Blessed are the Peacemakers', is, I suppose, to be understood in the other world, for in this one they are frequently cursed." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by TEX_DEPUTY View Post
            But a person doesn't need a CHL to have it in their vehicle. And he's not under 17. So what, nothing?
            But the poor kid can't buy ammo until he's 21.

Comment

He is legal, remember to those that stated you have to be 21 to have a CHL, there are several states to include Texas that now allow person 18 and older who are military to obtain a CHL. So in case you come across a person in public there are 18 year olds with CHLs, just like there are peace officers that are under 21, though as stated you still can't buy ammo.

Comment

Originally posted by kcso View Post
                ...Just a heads up in case some of you don't know, but the new law is that CHL holders don't have to let you know anymore or present their card. So I've added a 8th step to my violator contact which is to ask them if there are any weapons in the vehicle.
                Texas law has not changed with respect to a CHL holder’s duty to present both his DL and CHL certificate (if carrying). What has changed is that the failure to present a CHL certificate (if carrying) no longer subjects a CHL holder to a license suspension under Sec. 411.187(a)(2). Also, a repeat failure to present a CHL certificate is no longer a Class B misdemeanor. The “requirement to display” still exists, there’s just no longer a corresponding “penalty” for “failing or refusing to display.” See http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis...trPamphlet.pdf

note: text below in red was deleted from current statute effective Sep 1, 2009.

GC Sec. 411.205. REQUIREMENT TO DISPLAY [DISPLAYING] LICENSE; (PENALTY). (a) If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder's handgun license. [A person who fails or refuses to display the license and identification as required by this subsection is subject to suspension of the person's license as provided by Section 411.187.][(b) A person commits an offense if the person fails or refuses to display the license and identification as required by Subsection (a) after previously having had the person's license suspended for a violation of that subsection. An offense under this subsection is a Class B misdemeanor.]

Comment

I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification V1VR.
                  sigpic

" 'Blessed are the Peacemakers', is, I suppose, to be understood in the other world, for in this one they are frequently cursed." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

After reading the new law, I reverse my reverse and go back to saying that they don't have to tell us. If there's no penalty and no repercussions for not telling us, then basically, they don't have to.

Frankly, I don't care if they do or not. I have always thought that some guys let their guard down knowing the driver has a CHL and a weapon. By not knowing, they can stay more alert.
                    sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6541 users online. 359 members and 6182 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X