300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DPS starts an Abreviated Academy

Guys and Girls, DPS is starting an abreviated academy in March. Applications have to be in by December. You have to have an intermediate certificate and commit to two years at a border station. You have to go through the entire hiring process. The pay (I believe) is the same as starting Troopers. The abreviated academy is going to be 10-12 weeks.

Things have been on the up and up at DPS for several months. A lot of us are changing to ten hour shifts. We've had some uniform changes. By December each Trooper should have their own take home car. A different change in management has really changed morale in the department. Things are pretty exciting over here now a days. Many changes are still yet to come. If you're interested you might ought to consider it, as the APD guys can attest this abreviated academy may not stick around forever.

If you have any questions, call the recruiters in Austin at HQ. They will have the latest scoop. Their numbers are on the DPS website. The website pay scale doesn't take into account the pay raise that went into effect on Sept. 1. All and all the recruiting part of the website is behind the curve.

I think I'd rather do the full 6 month academy and not have to go to the border for two years. Its a great opportunity for the city/county police that live on the border though.

Who did you hear the cars in december from?

Comment

Sure wish i was already out of the military so I could jump on this. I'm on the bordering city anyways

Comment

Cars

Originally posted by bell4fan View Post
        I think I'd rather do the full 6 month academy and not have to go to the border for two years. Its a great opportunity for the city/county police that live on the border though.

Who did you hear the cars in december from?
        My Captain told me a few weeks back.

Comment

hope he's right. We went and picked up a new one yesterday, it (the new one) died 4 miles from the shop. Some electrical harness in the tranny. Not a good omen for that car, haha.

Comment

So DPS finally some what takes 1 step forward by realizing that experienced officers who have done this job for years don't need to be treated like children for 6 months and should be put out on the street asap, and take 10 steps back by thinking that anyone who has experience and is not from the border would commit to 2 years on the border?

I can't say I'm surprised.

Good luck with that, I have a feeling that is going to be a small academy class.

Comment

You sound bitter man.

Comment

I would rather pound a certain round body part flat with a wooden mallet than work down on the border. but hey thats just me

Comment

What if the wooden apparatus had barbed wire on it?

Comment

Originally posted by Boxer4 View Post
                    You sound bitter man.
                    Who, me? How did that come across as bitter? It was a simple observation noting that DPS administration is so far out of the loop that when they do find a way to help staffing and get into the year 2009, they immediately find a way to counteract that slight progression. How can I be bitter? It doesn't affect me one way or another as I've never had the slightest interest in working for DPS. However I do work closely with DPS at times and wish their agency would pull their heads out of their asses to help those guys, just like I wish my agency would. You boys can have your minimum contacts per shift and traffic citations.

I had a long (and at times heated) conversation with a very young trooper the other night and the majority of it was over administrations and how both our departments are stuck in the past in so many ways and how each time it seems we are making forward progress we seem to find a way to screw it up. He just wouldn't hear it and insisted that DPS was the ultimately perfect agency that had no flaws and nothing that DPS admin ever did was old fashioned, impractical, or had any type of negative impact on officer safety. He was so closed minded and it was so sad that I almost made a post saying "Is DPS brainwashing cadets these days?".

I know for a fact he has not heard of this modified academy because he is 100% one of those "If I did it, everyone should have to do it" people and he insisted that a modified academy would never happen and couldn't work for a state agency(despite the fact I pointed out that other state agencies had done it with great success). He won't be happy that someone else who knows more about law enforcement won't have to go through all the BS he did as a complete rookie. And I'll get to point out how ridiculous the whole 2 year border commitment thing is. It'll be twice as much fun for me.

Comment

Out of curiosity why do you think the whole 2 year border thing is ridiculous?

Comment

What is the salary structure as of Sept 1st?

Comment

Originally posted by ChevySSP View Post
                          Out of curiosity why do you think the whole 2 year border thing is ridiculous?
                          Seriously? DPS finally starts a program where they can actually get experienced knowledgeable officers on the street quickly. But they attach a stipulation to it that in order these experienced officers to be allowed a shortened academy they have to uproot and move to the border. Even if there are openings in their home area. While inexperienced cadets in the other academy are allowed to put in their list of most desirable stations and get them if they are available.

Like I said, modified academy = 1 step forward, BUT, they're going to punish them for it by sending them to the border for 2 years = 10 steps back.

I'm sure DPS will still get some younger single officers who won't mind moving and even a few guys from border departments. But your married guys who have families and own homes aren't going to do that, especially if there are openings in their area and it's unnecessary.

Comment

if it was done with the idea of attracting more officers who want/and are familiar with law enforcement work on the border, it was a great idea. Personally, I dont think it was designed to quickly get troops in East Texas, it was designed to get troops to the problematic border area as quickly as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by SOI View Post
                              I'm sure DPS will still get some younger single officers who won't mind moving and even a few guys from border departments. But your married guys who have families and own homes aren't going to do that, especially if there are openings in their area and it's unnecessary.
                              You make a good point, but I don't think it would fly very well if you allowed a graduate from a 10 week academy to get their first pic at a duty station.

Its a state agency. Why would anybody expect to apply and get their home station right out of the academy?

Bell do you have any idea if the academy is for TCLEOSE certifieds only or is it open to any commisioned LEOs? Seems to me that this little trick was pulled to get more out of state officers to apply.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4429 users online. 277 members and 4152 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X