Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Austin PD

----------
    Last edited by Tigershark; 04-17-2013, 12:50 PM.

Do a search on "Austin" in the Texas forum. Here are links to 4 out of 2 pages of threads.

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Link 4

As far as the temperature goes, there are hotter places and there are cooler places.

Comment

I don't work for em, but know a lot of folks that do. It has its pros and cons like all agencies. Salary is excellent, along with their benefits. I see them as a very professional agency, but they catch a lot of hell from the liberal city that they protect, and I mean A LOT of hell. Austin itself is pretty pricey, but surrounding area is very reasonable, especially with their salary. So come on, leave that hell-hole of a state you call home and make the move. P.S. in the summer time, all of Texas is hot...

Comment

Texas is hot, but I'd rather be sweating my *** off than chasing bad guys through snow and ice.
        I've lived in Austin almost my entire life, and I look forward to working for APD some day. I don't like how the citizenry sometimes villanizes the police department, but seriously.. what do they know?
        When I look at APD, I see people doing a job that they like and getting paid well to do it. I think that is enough to overcome the negatives of bad publicity, etc.
        "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

Hey thanks for the quick responses guys, and thanks for those links usmcrob, they look really helpful. One more question; I've heard a lot of people complaining about the liberalism and lack of support for the police department in Austin...is it really as bad as everyone says it is, or does it just seem that way since the rest of Texas is so conservative?
          Last edited by Tigershark; 09-02-2009, 11:20 PM. Reason: add question

Comment

Originally posted by Tigershark View Post
            ...is it really as bad as everyone says it is, or does it just seem that way since the rest of Texas is so conservative?
            Lots of weirdos...

Comment

I was down in Austin for conditional testing with APD 2 to 3 weeks ago. All the news was about a public forum meeting about a shooting of an 18 year old by a APD officer. There is more about that on this Texas forum. It was amazing listening to "the community" attack the Austin PD. Not one word about thanking them for making it one of the safest large cities in America!

Compared to DFW and Houston, Austin does not feel like you are in Texas other than Longhorns clothing everywhere!! Not saying it's a bad city just different (liberal) compared to other Texas cities.

Comment

I think you have to look at the demographics. In general(and this is a HUGE GENERALIZATION), young people usually show less support for police. Same with poor people. Rich people and old people generally support police. Austin is a very YOUNG city. Compare that to say, Georgetown, just north of Austin. Georgetown has lots more wealthy older people, so Georgetown PD probably enjoys more community support.
                I think the bottom line is that the demographic groups who typically support police in Austin do, in fact, support APD. And the traditional groups who do not support police do NOT, in fact, support APD.
                "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

Originally posted by adeutch View Post
                  I think you have to look at the demographics. In general(and this is a HUGE GENERALIZATION), young people usually show less support for police. Same with poor people. Rich people and old people generally support police. Austin is a very YOUNG city. Compare that to say, Georgetown, just north of Austin. Georgetown has lots more wealthy older people, so Georgetown PD probably enjoys more community support.
                  I think the bottom line is that the demographic groups who typically support police in Austin do, in fact, support APD. And the traditional groups who do not support police do NOT, in fact, support APD.
                  Well said.

Austin is a big college town. I dont know if I've ever been to a college town that supports the police. It's a great city and a lot of people stick around after graduation. As adeutch said, it's also a very young city.

The officers at APD do a fantastic job. I looked at several different agencies and citites before deciding to apply at APD and after I did a few ride outs, the liberalism and all the trash talk didnt matter quite as much. It still sucks... but someone has to do it!

As far as the shooting that is bringing so much drama around "the community". If you look on the news websites at the public comments about the story, you should notice general support of the officer from the public.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3188 users online. 152 members and 3036 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X