• Show
Clear All

• No Black and White Squad Cars for DPD

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/No_...ite_Squad_Cars

No Black and White Squad
    Cars for DPD

Published : Wednesday, 29 Jul 2009, 7:24 PM CDT

* Lynn Kawano

DALLAS - The plan to make Dallas police cars look more traditional is out.

The city's $190 million budget shortfall is one reason DPD will not redesign their squad cars, going from the current blue and white scheme to one that is black and white.

The plan was discussed last year, and several prototypes were on display.

The department had wanted to make the change because research showed people recognize police cars better with a black and white design. Departments like Plano and Fort Worth already use such designs.

Supporters also thought they looked "tougher."

Opponents thought it was a waste of money to make the change, and in the current economic crisis, the department agrees.

"While the black and white color scheme is intriguing; now is not the time to pursue the change," said Assistant Chief Floyd Simpson. "Each new black and white car comes at a higher cost on the front-end."

Simpson saud that cost is between $1,200 and $1,600.

He said the department might pursue the idea again in the future.

Comment

We have enough black and white police cars in the Dallas area. You have the Sheriff's Dept with their black hoods and trunks, you have The Highway Patrol, you have Desoto, and now you have Midlothian now with the Highway Patrol look.

I think Dallas is doing the right thing. By the way when the red and blues come on, I think the guessing game over "is that a police car comes to a screeching halt"
      GySgt USMC(Retired)

Once Marine, Always Marine

Courtesy Service Protection.............any questions?

Don't be a 99 on my route

Late at night a chill in the air, black and whites were everywhere, because nothing in this world is free, a Trooper's life was made for me.

Comment

I'll settle for cars that aren't breaking down, catching on fire, and actually work....
        “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

I must be the only wierd one here.

I personally think of a blue car when I think of a squad car...

Maybe thats because my local PD here has white and blue cars?

Comment

+1 Dallas just needs to worry about getting more mechanics and installers to make sure they have all their cars working and not breaking down or catching fire.

I'm glad to see Dallas is starting to get some newer cars that have the new slim line LED's on them as well a lot more visible lighting day and night and yet less of profile than those current rotating bars.
            Last edited by SBean06; 07-31-2009, 01:01 AM. Reason: Editing

Comment

Austin switched to black and whites last year and one of the main reasons it was approved was because it was proven to the higher ups that it actually saved hundreds of dollars per vehicle. I am curious how DPD is saying it will actually cost more per vehicle. APD is just switching color schemes through attrition so right now we are about half and half with black and whites and the plain white ones.

Comment

Bumping old thread....

NOW apparently they will have B&W cars

Old article -> Too much money
                New article -> Saves money.

Dallas Police Cruisers Go From Blue to Black
                DPD claims safety and money saving benefits

By KEN KALTHOFF
                Updated 7:49 PM CDT, Mon, Oct 19, 2009

Print Email Share Buzz up!TWITTER FACEBOOK

NBCDFW.com Dallas police are switching to black and white cars after decades of driving white and blue.

Police officials hope the new design will be more noticeable for citizens and criminals.

“We think that the black and white vehicle will provide greater visibility,” said Deputy Chief Randy Blankenbaker.

Dallas police currently drive white cars with wrap-around decals. The decals are customized for each brand of vehicle in the fleet. They vary in price from $945 to $1,400 per vehicle. If a vehicle suffers body damage, the entire wrap around decal often must be replaced.

DPD Cruisers to Get Extreme Makeover
                WATCH
                DPD Cruisers to Get Extreme Makeover
                The $325 decal package Dallas plans for black and white vehicles would be less complicated and could be used on any brand of vehicle.

Plus, body damage would not require an entire decal wrap.

“We’ll buy that individual decal, which saves us money, and it’s more efficient,” said Deputy Chief Blankenbaker.

He said damaged vehicles could return to service faster.

“It’s a sad day for the older officers as they think about the nostalgia of the car,” said Senior Cpl. Eddie Crawford, vice president of the Dallas Police Association.

Crawford said he has never driven anything but a white squad car.

“But if the safety of the officer is addressed and the citizens are aware that that’s a police car, if it works better from that standpoint, organizationally the Dallas Police Association is looking forward to this change," he said. "I’m sure the officers are, too. We’re turning a page, a new chapter.”

Dallas will purchase 266 black and white cars in the coming year. It will take four years to replace all 1,000 marked vehicles in the city fleet.

Fort Worth and several other North Texas cities already operate black and white police cars.

Comment

Originally posted by beavo451 View Post
                  Bumping old thread....

NOW apparently they will have B&W cars

Old article -> Too much money
                  New article -> Saves money.

Isn't that what I said a few months ago?? It actually saves money!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4744 users online. 309 members and 4435 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X