300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CA Lateral to Texas

I am about to gradute from an academy in California and plan on working for the agency thats hired me for no more than 3 years. I was wanting to go to Texas to raise my family, CA is getting to costly and going down hill. What Texas PD/SD's would be great to work for. Comp in pay as CA and so on. I would like a busy dept, that has upward movment and a variety of jobs, dont really feel like pushing a car for 25 plus years.
    Also need to know the areas that would be great to raise a family. It doesnt matter the drive to and from work, I drive 1hr30min one way no for the academy and that drops to maybe 45mins when get out. Any help or information would be great.
    I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Dallas is a great place to work. With a large department like theirs, there are plenty of room to move up or around. There are great places to live outside of Dallas with plenty of lakes for fishing and water sports.

Comment

Originally posted by moparfan View Post
      Comp in pay as CA and so on.
      Surely you jest!!!!

Check here for current Texas vacancies and pay (nowhere close to California).

http://tml.associationcareernetwork.....aspx?abbr=TML
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

You say "Lateral" in your title so I am assuming you don't want to go through the academy again and would like to bring your "senoirity" with you in either years of service, pay grade, or both. Unfortunately, Texas is not a "Lateral" friendly state like my state of Washington. Most large agencies will require you to got through their own academy. Austin PD has an interest in implementing a Lateral process in 2010 but with their recent budget crisis, nothing has been confirmed.

What you can do is challenge the TCLEOSE which is the state license for Law Enforcement. It can be done online and requires you to take the Supplemental Course and the TCLEOSE Course. Once you have completed both, you must take the certification test in person in Texas. Once you are certified, you can then start applying with agencies but chances are you would come in as an entry level but would not have to go through an academy again. One exception I know of is Round Rock PD (Austin) which takes laterals but they must be TCLEOSE certified first.

I like you would very much like to move my family to Texas but starting over again (pay wise, I am a PO in Washington) is impossible for us.

Good luck. Hope this helps...
        Last edited by Rodeojones; 01-15-2009, 01:25 AM.

Comment

Take a look at Austin PD. They seem right up your alley. They plan on doing a abbreviated academy for transfers in 2010. They also pay well, good retirement and the housing is affordable. Seems like a great department with the ability to move up in rank.

Comment

I am about to gradute from an academy in California and plan on working for the agency thats hired me for no more than 3 years. I was wanting to go to Texas to raise my family, CA is getting to costly and going down hill. What Texas PD/SD's would be great to work for. Comp in pay as CA and so on. I would like a busy dept, that has upward movment and a variety of jobs, dont really feel like pushing a car for 25 plus years.
            Also need to know the areas that would be great to raise a family. It doesnt matter the drive to and from work, I drive 1hr30min one way no for the academy and that drops to maybe 45mins when get out. Any help or information would be great.
            funny...im looking at leaving and your looking at making your move into texas

Comment

Thank you all for your replies. The pay from what I have seen for the larger department as some what similar to that of CA compared to the rest of the US. I was thinking abot maybe Austin, Dallas or San Antiono, but my wife and are will have to go out and see what we like.

Rodeojones, I dont really care if I get the seniorty and such just as long as maybe the dept. recongizes that there not getting some guy off the street who doesnt know whats going on. Just a dept, that is willing to pay for experience, I know either way I would have to do so what of an academy to learn their stuff, but yeah going through a full blown aacadmey all over I think my wife would kill me.

El Federal are you in TX? If so why are you want to leave and come to SoCal?

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

Thank you all for your replies. The pay from what I have seen for the larger department as some what similar to that of CA compared to the rest of the US. I was thinking abot maybe Austin, Dallas or San Antiono, but my wife and are will have to go out and see what we like.

Rodeojones, I dont really care if I get the seniorty and such just as long as maybe the dept. recongizes that there not getting some guy off the street who doesnt know whats going on. Just a dept, that is willing to pay for experience, I know either way I would have to do so what of an academy to learn their stuff, but yeah going through a full blown aacadmey all over I think my wife would kill me.El Federal are you in TX? If so why are you want to leave and come to SoCal?
                Yea, count that Dallas PD thing out, you have to do 32 weeks with Dallas PD either way. You can find some departments in the metroplex that will take you if you challenge the TCLEOSE test and get the certification. Just have to find them.

Comment

Rodeojones, I dont really care if I get the seniorty and such just as long as maybe the dept. recongizes that there not getting some guy off the street who doesnt know whats going on. Just a dept, that is willing to pay for experience, I know either way I would have to do so what of an academy to learn their stuff, but yeah going through a full blown aacadmey all over I think my wife would kill me.

El Federal are you in TX? If so why are you want to leave and come to SoCal?
                  How a department will treat you based on the fact that you have experience will really lay with your FTO's. But like I said previously, your selection of departments who will recognize your experience and bring you in at a higher pay grade are few. I mentioned Round Rock PD and APD may implement a lateral process. My research and familiarity with departments are strictly in the Austin so my information is limited.

Comment

yeah going through a full blown aacadmey all over I think my wife would kill me.
                    My wife is excited about Mon-Fri with weekends off until I get back on the street. Not to mention you are going to be experienced and already know most of the material.

I know Irving PD will pay you for you out of state experience, 12hr shifts, and take home cars. You may want to look again in a few years since alot of department policies and benifits may change. Check out Irving's pay scale. Very good money for such low cost of living in Texas.
                    Last edited by southchicopper; 01-15-2009, 02:01 AM.

Comment

moparfan

i just miss home... (l.a., orange co. san diego area) in n out, tommys. the weather...things to do to a certain extent... the property taxes are high and to top, one has to pay into school districts here...in the end it about as expesive as so cal. somethings maybe cheap here but expesive in cali, and visa versa.

with property prices dropping in southern cal (riverside - temecula murrieta area) it looks very tempting to get in now. before when prices were sky rocketting, i was basicallly priced out, now i got room to negotiate.

no 3%@50 here...or at least that im aware of and the word "union" here is almost frowned upon.

dont get me wrong its very nice here (northwest austin / lake travis area), but i have been here for over 2 years and i still dont feel like its home.

just a thought, before you decide to make your move...think about what your leaving before you make your move and determine what is important to you and yours.

hit me up if you have any questions

Comment

Do you guys know anything abut Iving PD? Seems like a nice dept. comp pay and housing looks good, as far as what saw on realtor.com

Comment

Originally posted by southchicopper View Post

I know Irving PD will pay you for you out of state experience, 12hr shifts, and take home cars. You may want to look again in a few years since alot of department policies and benifits may change. Check out Irving's pay scale. Very good money for such low cost of living in Texas.
                          +1, I was going to mention Irving. I spoke with an Irving recruiter when I was looking and she recruited me hard. It sounded like one of the better deals in the DFW area, as far as recognizing previous experience, and the bennies were great too. Ultimately, I went a different way for personal reasons. But if I wanted the Metroplex, Irving would be on the short, short list.
                          If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

Originally posted by shaund44 View Post
                            Take a look at Austin PD. They seem right up your alley. They plan on doing a abbreviated academy for transfers in 2010. They also pay well, good retirement and the housing is affordable. Seems like a great department with the ability to move up in rank.
                            Shaund what the deuce??

We have enough problems in Austin with dope dealers and a trillion illegal immigrants enjoying my tax dollars in our "sanctuary city".
                            We do NOT need a California transplant!
                            Ok,ok I guess as long as he is not illegal we will take him.

There are many good departments in Texas but throw those hopes and dreams of a "lateral" transfer away. You will be starting from scratch.
                            You can feel free to use the fact that you had 3 years of prior law enforcement experience but it will not get you more than application fluff.

Enjoy and good luck.
                            Make the world a better place....punch a hippie in the face.

Be polite to everyone but be ready to kill them at a moments notice.

Former 11B3P, airborne!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7504 users online. 440 members and 7064 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X