Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double checking.....

Here is the scenario:

In the summer of 2007, I was living in Colorado and decided that I wanted to make a career change. I became extremely interested in law enforcement. I emailed a Dallas recruiter to check my eligibility, and he said I was good to go.

So, I decide to fly down and begin the testing process. When I show up and begin completing paperwork, I am told that I do not qualify. Here is the reason: In June 2001, I was arrested and charged with DUI. The DUI charge was dropped to Reckless Driving, and I completed 6 months of probation, 30 hours of community service, and completed 20 hours of a mandatory alcohol education class.

I had explained every bit of this to the recruiter BEFORE I flew down to test, and he insisted that I was fine. However, AFTER I flew down to Dallas, he said the fact that I completed 6 months of probation was a disqualifier for 10 years from the time of the incident. I was told that I was DQ'd and shown the door pretty much.

Can anyone confirm that this is correct? Is it related to the Class B misdemeanor minimum requirement? Are there any waivers for it?

I plan on inquiring again with my questions, but just wanted to see if anyone else who has applied has experienced a similar situation. Perhaps I will have to wait until 2011 to apply to a TX dept.

Thank you for your attention.

(A) has not ever been convicted of an offense above the grade of a Class B misdemeanor or a Class B misdemeanor within the last ten years; but

(B) the commission may approve the application of a person who was convicted for a Class B misdemeanor at least five (5) years prior to application if an agency administrator sufficiently demonstrates in writing with supporting documentation that mitigating circumstances exist with the case and with the individual applying for licensure, and that the public interest would be served by reducing the waiting period;

Comment

Originally posted by Reytx View Post
      (A) has not ever been convicted of an offense above the grade of a Class B misdemeanor or a Class B misdemeanor within the last ten years; but

(B) the commission may approve the application of a person who was convicted for a Class B misdemeanor at least five (5) years prior to application if an agency administrator sufficiently demonstrates in writing with supporting documentation that mitigating circumstances exist with the case and with the individual applying for licensure, and that the public interest would be served by reducing the waiting period;
      Very interesting. What was the source of that info?

Thanks.

Comment

http://www.tcleose.state.tx.us/oct08...ook3_nofee.pdf

it's off of the TCLEOSE website. If you go to the section called minimum standards for initial licensure you will find the rules for getting a license from TCLEOSE.

Comment

Even after the 10 years have passed, it's pretty hard to be hired in Texas with a DWI conviction on your record. Some of the suburbs of Austin have a 15 year time limit. Also, Texas is very hard on DWIs, so most departments aren't going to look seriously at you, if they have better candidates. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you may want to consider working somewhere else.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3404 users online. 203 members and 3201 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X