300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple questions for Dallas officers

Hi I am planning on attempting the hiring process in Dallas this winter, and I have a few questions that I am hoping one or more officers would be kind enough to answer.
    First, if I recall correctly, I read on this forum earlier this year that anyone who passed all the steps was offered a job rather than being put on a list and maybe hired. Is this still the case??
    Second, is there a lot of overtime available after you get through the academy and FTO?
    Finally, how much seniority,(approx) do you have to have to get a day shift patrol position.

Thanks in advance for any information that anyone is able to provide

MJ

You will most likely be hired if you pass all the steps. No list.

There is plenty of overtime available, plus you can work extra jobs.

Ahh..you are going to have to wait for days, several years.

Comment

You will get OT while on FTO depending on your trainer. After training you can get OT nearly as often as you like. For days maybe 3-4 years and you might be able to find a 5th Watch spot which is 10a-6p. For 2nd Watch maybe 6-8 years depending on what station. You won't want to work days for a while anyway, trust me.
      "Out of every 100 men sent to battle, 10 shouldn't even be there, 80 are just targets, 9 are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a Warrior and he will bring the others back." -Heraclitus

Comment

Well on the day shift. once you are off training you can put your name on the list to go to day shift. It depends on your station, one station there is a loooooong wait for day shift, by long maybe 2 years. one substation less then that!. But with this bid shifting we are doing, which I understand maybe every two years that allows you to look for a day shift somewhere in the patrol bureau. I have 26 years here any questions pm me.

Comment

Thank you very much for the replys. I thought of one more question after I posted this thread. Do Dallas officers pay into Social Security or not, in IL LEO's do not but I know in some other states they do. Thanks again.

MJ

Comment

We do not pay social security
            "Out of every 100 men sent to battle, 10 shouldn't even be there, 80 are just targets, 9 are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a Warrior and he will bring the others back." -Heraclitus

Comment

Originally posted by mlj1980 View Post
              Thank you very much for the replys. I thought of one more question after I posted this thread. Do Dallas officers pay into Social Security or not, in IL LEO's do not but I know in some other states they do. Thanks again.

MJ
              No social security, but this is off-set by paying into the pension

Comment

How often does Dallas have academy classes?

Comment

I talked to the recruiter today and from what others have said, every 6 weeks.

Comment

I wonder if Dallas has ever thought about a modified academy like Fort Worth or like what Austin is about to do. I think you could attract a lot more qualified people and fill in the vacancies a lot quicker. I think you could attract a lot of Officers, but the idea of another academy, especially 32 weeks is not too appealing.... Any of you Dallas folks know if they will ever do this, or if not, why???

Comment

Originally posted by iamacop View Post
                      I wonder if Dallas has ever thought about a modified academy like Fort Worth or like what Austin is about to do. I think you could attract a lot more qualified people and fill in the vacancies a lot quicker. I think you could attract a lot of Officers, but the idea of another academy, especially 32 weeks is not too appealing.... Any of you Dallas folks know if they will ever do this, or if not, why???
                      It may be 32 weeks but your still making 42k/yr while in the academy.

Comment

Dal, I can totally understand your point of view if you are an Officer coming from a small town who doesn't pay and has no benefits. I'm looking at the point of view of Officers who work for well established agencies, but want to do the super big city agency thing just because of the atmosphere. I made 66k last year with my agency and I know I would take a pay cut, but to take a pay cut and another academy would keep well qualified people out of the race if you ask me. Ya, maybe I'm being a little weenie, but I honestly would think that Dallas could get well rounded and experienced Officers if they were willing to make a little compromise.

Take care dude

Comment

I believe dallas use to have a 9week training course for officers who were already tcleose certificed, however that's no longer the case. In addition even it was only 9 weeks Dallas doesn't transfer seniority so you would start over at the bottom of the pay scale.

Comment

Did you guys ever get the Chargers?

Comment

Any one knows how long generally take from filling out the online application till end of the whole process will approximately take? I just applied online 3 days ago, and wondering? Thanks
                              Integrity First
                              Service Before Self
                              Excellence In All We Do

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5167 users online. 337 members and 4830 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X