Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DPS making it easy..........

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • DPS making it easy..........

    This is my first post...... it's sincere........and I am looking for general discussion and opinions...........this is not flame bait.

    Does anyone else think the DPS is making it easy to say NO THANKS to a job offer?

    I really want to be a trooper, but when compared to most other agencies in Texas, I'm finding that there really is no comparison in the "quality of life" arena. If you have a family, is the price to become a trooper really worth it? I believe that if most state agencies in the country would align themselves with this generation of officers, they would get very experienced and qualified applicants over the age of thirty.............not many thirty year olds want to do 27 weeks in boot camp for the second or third time. No offense to the under 30 crowd.........you will be here too, someday.


    DPS:

    take home car..........maybe........it depends?
    27 week military style academy
    lower pay by $10,000 a year and very small step increases
    4 years before promotion to special details
    live where they tell you............transfer to promote
    deployments to border
    overworked and often underappreciated

    There are troopers on this message board looking to vacate the agency in search of greener pastures.


    Local agency:

    $48k - 52k starting salary with quick raises and higher topout pay
    10 or 12 hour shifts
    3-4 days off per week
    8-5 daily academy
    build a life where you live........church, schools, friends, etc..........no need to move for promotion
    2 years to special detail duty
    immediate backup during calls

    I just don't know guys............the DPS case is not looking very good in my household. What a shame!!

    Any information that would help me see things differently is certainly welcome............Thanks for your legitimate input.

  • #2
    All I can say is that I agree with almost everything you said. They are saying changes are coming but they might be too little, too late for this recruit.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by BD_View View Post
      All I can say is that I agree with almost everything you said. They are saying changes are coming but they might be too little, too late for this recruit.
      Thanks...........glad I'm not the only one. Sure would be nice to see some kind of progress on the changes.

      Comment


      • #4
        You're only looking at living in the big cities... if you want to live in a rural area, look at this again


        DPS:
        take home car, usually
        27 week military style academy
        37000 /year
        4 years before promotion to special details
        Most troopers in recent academies may not be getting their district, but they're at least getting their regions
        deployments to border
        overworked and often underappreciated - this is anyone in law enforcement

        vs. the local rural agency

        $20-30000 with annual raises only
        10 or 12 hour shifts
        3-4 days off per week
        8-5 daily academy that you put yourself through because no small agency can afford to send someone
        build a life where you live........church, schools, friends, etc. ~ If you can get a job in the specific community you want...
        No special details, the agencies are too small for those
        you might get backup during calls, and in some counties, your only backup is, wait for it, the Trooper
        sigpic
        Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by TexasAggieOfc View Post
          You're only looking at living in the big cities... if you want to live in a rural area, look at this again


          DPS:
          take home car, usually
          27 week military style academy
          37000 /year
          4 years before promotion to special details
          Most troopers in recent academies may not be getting their district, but they're at least getting their regions
          deployments to border
          overworked and often underappreciated - this is anyone in law enforcement

          vs. the local rural agency

          $20-30000 with annual raises only
          10 or 12 hour shifts
          3-4 days off per week
          8-5 daily academy that you put yourself through because no small agency can afford to send someone
          build a life where you live........church, schools, friends, etc. ~ If you can get a job in the specific community you want...
          No special details, the agencies are too small for those
          you might get backup during calls, and in some counties, your only backup is, wait for it, the Trooper
          I see your point regarding smaller communities..........I haven't looked at it from that angle.

          Thanks for your input.

          Comment


          • #6
            currently the border thing is suspended.

            you have more freedom as a trooper vs. a pd. i.e, your not limited to city limits, you have more power in pursuits to make your own call rather than sending info up the chain of command and awaiting approval to react. in rural areas, your sometimes the only troper working, so the micro managing is minimized.

            Next year is a make/break for DPS from what im hearing. Tx legislature is convening, and pay is a big ticket item. All speculation of course, but a $10,000/year across the board pay raise is expected. The promotional process is supposed to be revamped, i heard they may extend the 20 mile rule to 30. The Texas State Trooper Association main guy is pushing real hard at changing the working conditions.

            So if your iffy on DPS, you may want to wait until 09-10 to apply to see what changes, if any have been put into affect.

            I for one, have always wanted to be a Tx Trooper, so Im just along for the ride and hoping for the best. My wife is ready to sacrifice if necessary, and my kids are to young to know the diffrence. I just got out of the navy, so the way I see it, no matter where DPS sends me, its closer than where the navy would've.

            and as far as the academy. I WANT it to be tough. your backup maybe 20 minutes away and its you vs. whoever is in the car. The harder something is, the bigger the accomplishment.

            Comment


            • #7
              New Mexico State Police has been dealing with an applicant shortage as well, and one of their solutions to the problem was to create a lateral entry program. It's a considerably shorter academy for applicants with qualifying experience.

              I can't see DPS going that direction, though, given the tradition of having to go through "the nightmare on Lamar street" in order to become a trooper.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by TexasAggieOfc View Post
                ....
                the local rural agency

                $20-30000 with annual raises only
                10 or 12 hour shifts
                3-4 days off per week
                8-5 daily academy that you put yourself through because no small agency can afford to send someone
                build a life where you live........church, schools, friends, etc. ~ If you can get a job in the specific community you want...
                No special details, the agencies are too small for those
                you might get backup during calls, and in some counties, your only backup is, wait for it, the Trooper
                Amen brother, exactly what I had to do and spoken with the truth.
                "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called Sons of God - Matthew 5:9

                Comment


                • #9
                  I partially agree with what was said about rural agenices; however, I live in a small town (pop. 20K, 60 miles from major metro area) that starts officers out at $37K. No higher education or experience requirement, no academy, just basic cert. required. Also, take a look at the salary survey on the DPSOA website. The entry-level salary does not look so bad compared to the state average. But look at the long-term comparisions to the state average. Big, big difference! I don't see how they can pay the STATE police some much less than the state average.

                  [URL="http://www.dpsoa.com/news.asp"]http://www.dpsoa.com/news.asp

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    DPS has been called the best agency in Texas. I see parts of it that are wonderful, but the pay is not great. But as we all know, you don't get into Law Enforcement for money....but I also understand that you have to raise a family on that salary.

                    I have a former co-worker who just graduated about year ago, he absolutely loves it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Glock22/149 View Post
                      DPS has been called the best agency in Texas. I see parts of it that are wonderful, but the pay is not great. But as we all know, you don't get into Law Enforcement for money....but I also understand that you have to raise a family on that salary.

                      I have a former co-worker who just graduated about year ago, he absolutely loves it.
                      I know a few Troopers who came over to city life. They loved things about State and a few things about the city.
                      I personally love the city,4 day work week,oodles of vacation and overtime and making 70k a year with 5 years service is not bad.

                      I have much respect for those in the DPS and I think their situation is getting much better,especially pay related for their families.
                      Make the world a better place....punch a hippie in the face.

                      Be polite to everyone but be ready to kill them at a moments notice.

                      Former 11B3P, airborne!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by GB0610
                        Hey Frank, is that 70k base pay, or is that your average after OT/callouts/etc?

                        What does an Officer, say 2 and a half years in make on average with OT included in your city?
                        67k base but 5k minimum OT for me annually.
                        As for the 2 yr guy its 61k annual not counting any OT. Some of our OT has dried up this year but it will pick back up after the first of the year again.
                        Make the world a better place....punch a hippie in the face.

                        Be polite to everyone but be ready to kill them at a moments notice.

                        Former 11B3P, airborne!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          DPS I feel is like the Marine Corps. Everyone can't be a Marine, and everyone can't be DPS.

                          I am winding up my last few weeks on FTO with DPS and I wouldn't trade anything.

                          If you are looking for money find another career. I like my 9 hour days. I just did 12 hour shifts down there in Brazoria County helping with Hurricane Ike, and you can have your 12 hour shifts.
                          GySgt USMC(Retired)

                          Once Marine, Always Marine

                          Courtesy Service Protection.............any questions?

                          Don't be a 99 on my route

                          Late at night a chill in the air, black and whites were everywhere, because nothing in this world is free, a Trooper's life was made for me.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Carl View Post
                            DPS I feel is like the Marine Corps. Everyone can't be a Marine, and everyone can't be DPS.

                            I am winding up my last few weeks on FTO with DPS and I wouldn't trade anything.

                            If you are looking for money find another career. I like my 9 hour days. I just did 12 hour shifts down there in Brazoria County helping with Hurricane Ike, and you can have your 12 hour shifts.
                            HHHHMMMMM!!!.............I have to disagree..........maybe not everyone can be a navy seal or recon, but just about anyone with a pulse can be a marine if they are commited.

                            I have to say thank you to everyone for your tips and that everyone on this forum has been helpful answering my original question. Based on my recent experience and the help received from this site, dps is gonna have to get by without me..............I believe it to be the most inefficient department I've considered...........I know I'm not the only one who thinks this way and qualified people with a choice are choosing to work elsewhere..............that speaks volumes with regards to the agency's current situation. Best of luck to all.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by MickeyEars View Post
                              HHHHMMMMM!!!.............I have to disagree..........maybe not everyone can be a navy seal or recon, but just about anyone with a pulse can be a marine if they are commited.
                              If my aunt had balls she would be my uncle.
                              GySgt USMC(Retired)

                              Once Marine, Always Marine

                              Courtesy Service Protection.............any questions?

                              Don't be a 99 on my route

                              Late at night a chill in the air, black and whites were everywhere, because nothing in this world is free, a Trooper's life was made for me.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 5213 users online. 334 members and 4879 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X