300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dallas and Ft Worth

Hey, well I'm beginning the process again of looking for a new department and location to live, things didn't go well.I see both these departments are hiring often.. how competitive are both these departments? I'm looking at applying around feb. after I receive my bachelor's degree.

Also if there are any officers from either of these departments I could talk to that would be great, I'd like to see if anything I have would be an automatic disqualifer.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by EricDel; 11-17-2009, 04:41 PM.

With a bachelor degree you might as well go apply for arlington. But if I were applying I would do fort worth its such a better place.
    Don't expect other people to make you happy, Happiness is your responsibility.

Comment

I've never been to the area, but I am hoping to make a trip down there sometime in Feb/March. I think I read on here they had 1,200 applicants? Pretty good amount, do they have an academy every month like Dallas?

Comment

Thanks for the recommendation on Arlington, started looking into that department and it looks great! Any Arlington officers on these boards? What type of shift schedules and also how busy is the city, is it call after call pretty much?

Also if anyone on here has been through the process how long did it take them? I'd like to apply sometime in Feb and hopefully begin an acad in April or May..

Comment

If you want to be in an academy in April or May, I would suggest not waiting until February to apply for any department. Some departments may take 4-6 months to get you through the process, especially if there are any "issues" in the background.

Comment

Im a Texas officer for a mid-sized city(in a secret location...) and I have heard nothing but bad things about internal workings of the Dallas police dept, raced-based promotions, reverse discrimination, favors, etc. The morale in the trenches is supposed to be terrible and the place is supposed to be just nasty to work at. However, I am not a Dallas officer and others might tell you differently.

I recommend that you look at the cities AROUND Dallas, Plano, Arlington, etc. At the least, I guess, you could try and start with Dallas and then quickly leave if you dont like it.

Overall, there is a large shortage of good applicants for LE in TX. If you are squared away, you should eventually find a position in the state.

Comment

Originally posted by SucalT View Post
              If you want to be in an academy in April or May, I would suggest not waiting until February to apply for any department. Some departments may take 4-6 months to get you through the process, especially if there are any "issues" in the background.
              Thanks for the info however I want to wait til Feb. so I can say I have my bachelor's degree and not just working towards it, especially since I am only 22 years old I think that will increase my chances of being hired..

Comment

I am an officer at Arlington. If you apply and are working for your bachelors but will graduate in Feb, they can hire you for an academy after you receive your bachelors. It will be conditional until you have your degree in hand. You should apply today.

Also, we hire people in about 3-5 weeks depending on their schedule with taking the polygraph, psych, etc.

There is a lot of info on our website, www.arlingtonpd.org about the hiring process, but the recruiting department is top notch. Feel free to contact them.
                No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we require him to obey it.
                -Theodore Roosevelt

The views expressed by this screen name do not represent any civilian,municipal, military, or federal law enforcement agency and are strictly the views of the individual writing. Under no circumstances should someone consider the content of these posts to have anything less than a great deal of sarcasm interlaced throughout. Read at your own risk.

Comment

Shoot for Fort Worth, Garland, Mesquite, Grand Prairie.... all good departments.

Comment

Don't let all the haters scare you away from Dallas, my morale is high, I enjoy working with the officers at my station, and I can't complain about the equipment, but what do I know I actually work there.
                    "Out of every 100 men sent to battle, 10 shouldn't even be there, 80 are just targets, 9 are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a Warrior and he will bring the others back." -Heraclitus

Comment

Like marine vet said I've got several friends that work for Dallas and they absolutely love it. Like any big department there are going to be politics involved.

Comment

It looks like there are a lot of options in the DFW area. I'm hoping I might be able to come down for 2 weeks and apply for a couple departments.

Random question, but how are the winter months in this area?

Comment

Mild it may snow 1-3 days but it rarely sticks. The thing you have to worry about is the idiot drivers. If it's cold enough to get ice on the bridges most people iq goes out the window.

Comment

Don't forget to check out Rowlett or Rockwall (few minutes East of Dallas).
                            When talking to a fool, be sure he isn't doing the same.

Comment

Great, thanks for the info. Also are all of you guys from TX originally? Just wondering how hard of a relocation process it will be.. lots of activites to do that way? I'm hoping now that I will be able to come out for a week in Dec to check out the area.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6525 users online. 366 members and 6159 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X