X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carl
    replied
    BD,

try and talk to some Troopers in your area. The main thing I am reading here is folks concerned with where they will be stationed which is a genuine concern if you are already planted somewhere, and do not want to uproot.

Talk to the Troopers and they can tell you who is getting ready to leave, who is considering leaving, and who might leave the area you are interested in.

Leave a comment:

• BD_View
    replied
    I have no bitterness toward the DPS and I have a lot of respect for troopers. I am just trying to get as much information as possible to make an informed decision. If I were single and had no kids I would probably take the decision a lot more lightly but I am not so I have to consider how my decision might effect them.

Leave a comment:

• Carl
    replied
    Originally posted by c3troop View Post
    Is it me or are a lot of guys bitter towards DPS? Maybe they got turned down one too many times?
    I thought I was the only one with that impression? He did have a smiley at the end of it though, so I take it he was having a little fun....................Very little.

Leave a comment:

• c3troop
    replied
    Is it me or are a lot of guys bitter towards DPS? Maybe they got turned down one too many times?

Leave a comment:

• Carl
    replied
    Originally posted by Frank Sector View Post
    Heck without chasing until the wheels fall off and shooting at moving vehicles, what will we have left to idolize with you Troopers?
    Most certainly not the spandex pants you guys wear.
    Where can I get a pair? Mine seem to keep falling off of me.
    Last edited by Carl; 09-22-2008, 12:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Frank Sector
    replied
    Originally posted by ChargerPD View Post
    they can take away the right to pursue like they have been doing in other large agencies.
    Heck without chasing until the wheels fall off and shooting at moving vehicles, what will we have left to idolize with you Troopers?
    Most certainly not the spandex pants you guys wear.

Leave a comment:

• ChargerPD
    replied
    Originally posted by SATexas View Post
    The changes cant get any worse...where abouts in TX are you?
    they can take away the right to pursue like they have been doing in other large agencies.

Leave a comment:

• mo0n
    replied
    Coming out of the Academy, the majority go to THP. Some (my class had two) go to CVE. Nobody went to DL. I know the last few classes...nobody went to DL.

The first time I saw a DL spot come open on the list was like this past month...and that's cuz the fiscal year just rolled around.

Leave a comment:

• ab04
    replied
    It shows on the web site that you can work drivers lic. and truck enforcment, how do they pick troopers for that? (I dont want that by the way)

Leave a comment:

• Carl
    replied
    Originally posted by ab04 View Post
    So do you go right in to patrol after the academy or is there a chance you can get stuck some place else.
    100% chance you are going Highway Patrol after the academy.

Pay raise sounds great to me also. I have never understood how one of the best agencies in Texas, is also the worse paying.

Leave a comment:

• ab04
    replied
    So do you go right in to patrol after the academy or is there a chance you can get stuck some place else.

Leave a comment:

• Chesty
    replied
    Changes

A lot of the changes are unknown as of right now. I think it is safe to say a pay raise is inevitable. We are hoping for many things, but it is all speculation right now. The promotional process is being reviewed. Our organizational structure is probably going to change drastically. Its all unknown right now guys/girls. Change is coming, but the dust is far from settled. Right now probably is the best time to get hired by our department; though, we are unsure what the future holds. Stay tuned.........

Leave a comment:

• BD_View
    replied
    Originally posted by txboy View Post
    What kind of changes are they making?
    I read that some type of pay raise has been recommeded to make DPS more competitive with the other major TX departments (source San Antonio Express News). I also read that they might change the promotion system so that troopers do not have to move as often to promote and that they might change the 20 mile rule (read these two on the Texas State Trooper Association website). Also, lots of changes happening in management. I guess it is all speculation at time point.

Leave a comment:

• BD_View
    replied
    I live in Kerrville. I did my first ride-a-long in San Angelo and plan to ride in Kerrville sometime soon.

Leave a comment:

• txboy
    replied
    Originally posted by c3troop View Post
    The changes are going to be great. Coming from numerous troopers, "this is the best time to join the department." There is no better agency in the state, and none more conservative.

What kind of changes are they making?

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3685 users online. 222 members and 3463 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X