300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tx Dps?

I am considering a career change from business to law enforcement.
    Specifically, I am interested in becoming a trooper. I have spoken with a DPS recruiter and have done one ride-a-long and plan to do more. Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations?

I have always had a lot of respect for troopers but I am a little
    concerned about the direction of the TXDPS. It sounds like they might
    be working on some changes. Does anyone have any information on
    changes that might be in the works?

The changes are going to be great. Coming from numerous troopers, "this is the best time to join the department." There is no better agency in the state, and none more conservative.

Comment

The changes cant get any worse...where abouts in TX are you?

Comment

Originally posted by c3troop View Post
        The changes are going to be great. Coming from numerous troopers, "this is the best time to join the department." There is no better agency in the state, and none more conservative.

What kind of changes are they making?

Comment

I live in Kerrville. I did my first ride-a-long in San Angelo and plan to ride in Kerrville sometime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by txboy View Post
            What kind of changes are they making?
            I read that some type of pay raise has been recommeded to make DPS more competitive with the other major TX departments (source San Antonio Express News). I also read that they might change the promotion system so that troopers do not have to move as often to promote and that they might change the 20 mile rule (read these two on the Texas State Trooper Association website). Also, lots of changes happening in management. I guess it is all speculation at time point.

Comment

Changes

A lot of the changes are unknown as of right now. I think it is safe to say a pay raise is inevitable. We are hoping for many things, but it is all speculation right now. The promotional process is being reviewed. Our organizational structure is probably going to change drastically. Its all unknown right now guys/girls. Change is coming, but the dust is far from settled. Right now probably is the best time to get hired by our department; though, we are unsure what the future holds. Stay tuned.........

Comment

So do you go right in to patrol after the academy or is there a chance you can get stuck some place else.

Comment

Originally posted by ab04 View Post
                  So do you go right in to patrol after the academy or is there a chance you can get stuck some place else.
                  100% chance you are going Highway Patrol after the academy.

Pay raise sounds great to me also. I have never understood how one of the best agencies in Texas, is also the worse paying.
                  GySgt USMC(Retired)

Once Marine, Always Marine

Courtesy Service Protection.............any questions?

Don't be a 99 on my route

Late at night a chill in the air, black and whites were everywhere, because nothing in this world is free, a Trooper's life was made for me.

Comment

It shows on the web site that you can work drivers lic. and truck enforcment, how do they pick troopers for that? (I dont want that by the way)

Comment

Coming out of the Academy, the majority go to THP. Some (my class had two) go to CVE. Nobody went to DL. I know the last few classes...nobody went to DL.

The first time I saw a DL spot come open on the list was like this past month...and that's cuz the fiscal year just rolled around.
                      **Courtesy--Service--Protection**

Comment

Originally posted by SATexas View Post
                        The changes cant get any worse...where abouts in TX are you?
                        they can take away the right to pursue like they have been doing in other large agencies.

Comment

Originally posted by ChargerPD View Post
                          they can take away the right to pursue like they have been doing in other large agencies.
                          Heck without chasing until the wheels fall off and shooting at moving vehicles, what will we have left to idolize with you Troopers?
                          Most certainly not the spandex pants you guys wear.
                          Make the world a better place....punch a hippie in the face.

Be polite to everyone but be ready to kill them at a moments notice.

Former 11B3P, airborne!

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Sector View Post
                            Heck without chasing until the wheels fall off and shooting at moving vehicles, what will we have left to idolize with you Troopers?
                            Most certainly not the spandex pants you guys wear.
                            Where can I get a pair? Mine seem to keep falling off of me.
                            Last edited by Carl; 09-22-2008, 12:11 AM.
                            GySgt USMC(Retired)

Once Marine, Always Marine

Courtesy Service Protection.............any questions?

Don't be a 99 on my route

Late at night a chill in the air, black and whites were everywhere, because nothing in this world is free, a Trooper's life was made for me.

Comment

Is it me or are a lot of guys bitter towards DPS? Maybe they got turned down one too many times?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5084 users online. 268 members and 4816 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X