300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Austin PD - "Bump"

I was reading APA's State Of The Union for 2008 and in it, talks about "Bump". The following are quotes from APA Secretary CPL. Mike Bowen.

The Chief feels very strongly about this. He has asked all Officers to give it a chance.
    the Chief has the right to determine schedules of work.
    I realize the Bump is going to have a negative impact on many of our members.
    The APA is monitoring this and will revisit this issue with the Chief again after our first bump in 2009.
    Can current APD Officer's explain what "Bump" is and what are the street Officer's saying about it.

Thanks.

Link

They are talking about going to rotating shifts after not having done so for many years. No real details have been released about it and it seems to have hit the back burner as it has not been mentioned lately. Officers on the street were pretty vocal in opposition to the rotating shifts. It makes it pretty hard on family life when you are constantly having to change schedules.

Comment

It is going back to a rotating schedule of sorts. Years ago we used to rotate schedules every 28 days, from days to evenings to nights. The Chief wants to go back to something similar. From what we have heard it will be a temporary rotation. You will be permanantly assigned to a shift (days, eve, nights) then rotate for a 3 month period, then back to your permanant shift. So if you were on a night shift you would rotate to days for 3 months, then back to nights.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Just curious, but why wouldn't someone want to rotate shifts? I think its a good change of pace.
          "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called Sons of God - Matthew 5:9

Comment

Originally posted by rgv_cop View Post
            Just curious, but why wouldn't someone want to rotate shifts? I think its a good change of pace.
            That's funny, my thoughts were why would anyone want to rotate shifts??? We rebid every 6 months and bid by seniority. I would much rather choose my shifts than get stuck where ever they want me.

Comment

Originally posted by rgv_cop View Post
              Just think childcare issues. Especially of you are a single parent. It may not be that easy to find a babysitter that is willing to watch your kid at night when you are away at work. Or if you are used to working day shift then you would have a terrible time adjusting to the graveyard shift, and likewise for a nightshift officer switching to early dayshift. From what I have seen is officers tend to like consistency and resist change.

Comment

Rotating Shifts

Try switching every two weeks. Technically we work two weeks of days then two weeks of nights. Truly we rotate when ever they need us to. Its a pain in the butt. We are hoping for changes with some of the new stuff going on in Austin though.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4257 users online. 183 members and 4074 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X