300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cookeville Police Department

Well this is my very first post. After a couple of months lurking and just reading these posts I figure I would finally sign up and now I have a question for you guys.

I will be testing with the Cookeville Police Department on 20 August 2008. I received the packet in the mail yesterday and am currently in the process of filling out the information.

Three quick questions if someone would be so kind as to answer them for me:

1. How long does the process usually take? From the packet it states that should I pass the written and then the physical agility course on the 20th that I would be scheduled for an interview on the 21st. Following that, how long does it take for a BI to be done considering I live in town and have lived here for just about ten years.

2. I understand the physical test is done with an obstacle course, exactly how should one train to accomplish this task? Breaking down each event none of it seems to be too difficult. But I want to be able to max out on it and would like some advice on what I should be focusing on for the next month before the test. The vehicle push and the trigger pull are two items I do not feel as though they are going to be troublesome.

3. Lastly, I would greatly appreciate any advice someone would have that has gone through this process or even has any knowledge of these tests.

Thanks for your time,

Chris

I got a letter from Cookeville too. Same time, same place.

Comment

What is the starting wage in Cookeville? If I move, I'll be the sole provider for the 3 of us for a while.

Comment

From what I read, it is starting at $987/bi-weekly. I think that is gross and not net.

The cost of living here in Cookeville is not expensive at all. A three or four bedroom house will cost you between $400-$700 a month. Utilities and what not are not too expensive. If you have an apartment and keep all the lights on and tv's on and ac running cold you would probably spend right about $100 a month, with houses being slightly more expensive.

Overall Cookeville is a nice place to live.

-CRob

Comment

Originally posted by CRobertsCkvl View Post
          From what I read, it is starting at $987/bi-weekly. I think that is gross and not net.

The cost of living here in Cookeville is not expensive at all. A three or four bedroom house will cost you between $400-$700 a month. Utilities and what not are not too expensive. If you have an apartment and keep all the lights on and tv's on and ac running cold you would probably spend right about $100 a month, with houses being slightly more expensive.

Overall Cookeville is a nice place to live.

-CRob
          You can't beat the cost of living in TN.

Cookeville is a great central place.

I took the Cookeville test last year and it can be difficult if you try to rush through it. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by 2themax45 View Post
            You can't beat the cost of living in TN.

Cookeville is a great central place.

I took the Cookeville test last year and it can be difficult if you try to rush through it. Good luck!
            Difficult? How so? I have a couple buddies that I went to high school that are on the force and they seem to really like working for this department.

What kind of difficulty level was the PT test? The test at 8:30 and then the physical test at 1:30pm. How long did the written test take?

-CRob

Comment

Difficult? How so? I have a couple buddies that I went to high school that are on the force and they seem to really like working for this department.

What kind of difficulty level was the PT test? The test at 8:30 and then the physical test at 1:30pm. How long did the written test take?

-CRob
              I can't remember exactly what was hard about it but I was on my lunch break at my current job and had to fly through the test which was my fault. There was around 30-40 people who took the test and only 10 people went on to the PT test. You should not have a problem with the PT test if you are in decent shape.
              I took a test for Metro Nash, Chatt, and an exam with a federal agency and Cookeville's was the hardest written test out of the 4. You should be good to go though if you just take your time,
              it would be a great department to work for!
              Last edited by 2themax45; 07-31-2008, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Well, it looks like this thread has just about had it but I just wanted to keep everyone else out there in the loop.

Today was the written and physical test date. After passing the written portion of the test the anxiety began to set in. I am not in the best of shape and the physical portion of the exam was going to be a challenge.

The worst part of the exam was a 6 and a half foot wall. I got in line, about 10 back from the first person just to watch everyone else's technique for getting over the wall. I am a big guy (roughly 5'11 and 245-250 pounds) and I knew this wall was going to the worst part of the exam. Once I easily cleared the wall I knew I had the passed the exam.

I finished with a time of 2 minutes and 50 seconds for a total of 90 points out of a possible 100.

Next is an interview at the South Substation. For anyone that has gone through the process with this department, is there any advice that you could share with me? I went into the written exam wearing a shirt and tie and I was fairly overdressed compared to the rest of the crowd because the majority of people were wearing khaki pants and a button up shirt. Some even were wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

Would it be proper to wear a suit to this interview? I feel as though it would be the best option, and considering I already wear a shirt and tie to work, it would be no biggie to add a coat to my attire for the afternoon interview.

Thanks for all your help,

C-Rob

Comment

You can NEVER go wrong wearing a suit and tie to an interview. Dress to impress.

Comment

maybe i need to start wearing TWO suits to my interviews :-/

Comment

Well, it looks like this thread has just about had it but I just wanted to keep everyone else out there in the loop.

Today was the written and physical test date. After passing the written portion of the test the anxiety began to set in. I am not in the best of shape and the physical portion of the exam was going to be a challenge.

The worst part of the exam was a 6 and a half foot wall. I got in line, about 10 back from the first person just to watch everyone else's technique for getting over the wall. I am a big guy (roughly 5'11 and 245-250 pounds) and I knew this wall was going to the worst part of the exam. Once I easily cleared the wall I knew I had the passed the exam.

I finished with a time of 2 minutes and 50 seconds for a total of 90 points out of a possible 100.

Next is an interview at the South Substation. For anyone that has gone through the process with this department, is there any advice that you could share with me? I went into the written exam wearing a shirt and tie and I was fairly overdressed compared to the rest of the crowd because the majority of people were wearing khaki pants and a button up shirt. Some even were wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

Would it be proper to wear a suit to this interview? I feel as though it would be the best option, and considering I already wear a shirt and tie to work, it would be no biggie to add a coat to my attire for the afternoon interview.

Thanks for all your help,

C-Rob

JCT is right on with the suit. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks guys.

Well I went to the interview wearing a suit (while I saw atleast two other candidates not wearing one, nor were they clean shaven) and well it was not what I was expecting. The questions that were asked were not difficult to answer and by the nods I received as I was giving my answers I figure I answers were correct.

When I spoke, I did not "speak with my hands" and I answered with clear and concise answers. I do not feel as though I was nervous, with voice cracks but I do not know.

There were only a couple of questions I am not sure of, something to the affect of "what is your biggest accomplishment" and "what is your biggest failure."

Those two question always seem to get me, in any interview I seem to be in.

Well now it's the waiting game. Only time will tell. I will keep you all informed as soon as I hear something.

-CRob

Comment

Usually, those awkward questions are to gauge your level of humility, and that you learn from mistakes. If you openly admit that you are only human, and you do make mistakes, but you learn from your mistakes, you will set yourself apart from people who can't think of any time in their life that they failed at something. We have all made mistakes and been failures at some point in time. What is important is that you learn from those situations and better yourself.

I'm glad to hear you wore a suit to the interview. You undoubtedly stood way out from those who didn't wear one and didn't even bother to shave. In this profession, how you carry yourself and how you dress can literally save your life. By showing your interviewers that you actually give a **** about wanting this job, you have already blown away some of the competition, just by dressing well. I would be willing to bet those who didn't dress up will not hear from the department again.

Congrats on the interview and good luck as you progress through the hiring process. Keep us informed.

Comment

Originally posted by stand_by_one View Post
                            maybe i need to start wearing TWO suits to my interviews :-/
                            You are such an optimist.

Comment

JCT

I appreciate the words of encouragement. But as the more time that goes by the more I can't help but to think back to the interview.

It's kind of like when you're talking to a girl, once you walk away you think of all sorts of things that your "should have said" but didn't. That is how I feel right now. I firmly believe that my answers were top notch, but I guess it's the dedication to excellence in me that wishes I could go back and polish up my answers.

I understand that the interview is not for you to have a textbook answer prepared prior to arriving, but to be able to think on your feet, but part of me knows I could have answered some of the questions a little more clearly.

Ah-well, I guess it's part of the process and the next time (heaven forbid I do not receive an offer from this department) I have an oral interview I will be much more prepared.

The captain that was leading the oral board stated that the next step in the process will take longer than most people would expect, and that it is going to take much more time than I would want. But anything worth striving for is not going to be easy nor quick.

Thanks once again JCT and when I hear something I will be sure to post it here.

-CRob

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5633 users online. 316 members and 5317 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X