X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BR2125
    Forum Member
    • Jan 2007

Out Of State Certified Officer

I am writing this thread for a friend of mine. He is currently a Corporal at a local Sheriff’s Department in Indiana and was looking into moving down to Tennessee. He was concerned as far as what training he would need and areas that were currently hiring. My assumption is he wants to know if he could lateral, if he could do an abreviated academy, or they put him through the whole thing. Any help would be great, thanks!
    Forum Member
    • Dec 2006

Most departments allow you to take the TN exam and give you a lateral. Large dept's have their own acadamy and have lateral's (short acadamy) every 1-3 yrs.
    Work harder! Millions on welfare depend on you...

Comment

• 2Lucky
      FORUM MEMBER
      • Mar 2007

have your friend actually call the TN POST commission who will tell him if he qualifies. They have a non published list of what states they have reciprocity with as far as TN POST.

Also, you're really gonna have to do some finger work (phone) to find out which agencies will do a lateral. Memphis does, Collierville does, Millington does,however, all except Memphis are small and micromanaged. Such as, you have to call and ask a LT to make an arrest. Also, Collierville and Memphis have the highest pay in the west. Nashville has lateral too.

Comment

• badge5675
        Forum Member
        • Apr 2006

I,ve been trying to find that information out myself

Hey BR2125,.......I wish your friend well...I have been trying to get a straight answer myself for a while...It's like a never ending circle...From what I gathered during my search is..... one side wants you to get certified first before they waste time talking with you about getting hired...The other side wants you to get hired before they waste time trying to get you certified...For the life of me I would never thought it could be so difficult to get certified in another state....However I did learn something new so it was not a complete loss....Didn't know anything about the non published list...Maybe that should be my next call...Anyway good luck and if you find out any good news please feel free to let me know what you found out, if you dont mind....

Comment

• 2Lucky
          FORUM MEMBER
          • Mar 2007

badge565,
          I spoke with collierville last week. They are in a hiring process now. However, they either mail the app or you have to pick it up. They will send you to an academy within 6 months of you being hired. They really want experienced officers first, so, that at least gets you in the door in TN. Also, I spoke to a male there. I wanna say he was the second or first in charge there at the academy, Donnelson, which is where the TN POST commission is.

Good luck, guys

2Lucky

Comment

• TN Cop
            FTO
            • Mar 2006

It's been my experience that the guys from out of state put an app in like any one else. Most of the agencies that I've seen will hire you, and then you have to challenge the TN POST (they give you a study guide then you take the POST test). If I remember correctly the chief of MTSU Police was from out of state....I believe he only had to do the week of EVOC, then he took the POST test. As others have said your mileage will vary with the bigger depts. that have their own academy.

Good Luck!
            "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God" (Matthew 5:9)

Comment

• JDCOP
              Forum Member
              • Apr 2006

Get hired somewhere , try Vandy they are suckers for hiring people who just wanna get certified. They love hiring out of state certified officers. Take the post challenge test get your certificate and quit.
              Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

• 2Lucky
                FORUM MEMBER
                • Mar 2007

Just found out today Collierville is wanting cert officers BAD. Call them ASAP and most likely be ready to move ASAP. I don't remember the web site but look up Collierville, TN pd. top out is 49000. Speak with Lt Townsend or Cap McCaskill.
                2Lucky

Comment

• Ballen7
                  Forum Member
                  • May 2007

I appreciate all the feedback. I am the "friend" of BR. I was actually just waiting on the approval for my account. Anyways, I am looking for any area in TN. It really doesnt matter what part. I contacted LT. Townsend from Collierville, they are sending an app. Does anyone else know of any areas that are currently hiring?

Comment

• Morning Coffee
                    Forum Member
                    • Apr 2007

Franklin Police Dept , SpringHill Police Dept , Memphis Police Dept , Clarksville Police Dept ....

There are many places actively hiring right now .

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 18774 users online. 37 members and 18737 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...