300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memphis PD

I am currently in the process of maybe being hired by your dept for the July academy. What I was wanting was the opinion of the department by the folks that currently work the streets there. I see a BUNCH of negative stuff about the department and some positive. What do you guys think that actually work there? How much backup do you guys have? How much support do you guys get from the brass? Please, only opinions from those that work or have worked there. Any opinions or advice is appreciated. Thank you for your info...... and stay safe....

Working for MPD

Originally posted by gonzoak View Post
    I am currently in the process of maybe being hired by your dept for the July academy. What I was wanting was the opinion of the department by the folks that currently work the streets there. I see a BUNCH of negative stuff about the department and some positive. What do you guys think that actually work there? How much backup do you guys have? How much support do you guys get from the brass? Please, only opinions from those that work or have worked there. Any opinions or advice is appreciated. Thank you for your info...... and stay safe....
    gonzoak, it's VERY political. I do not work there any more and I have sour grapes as far as the administration is, but, not towards the officers in the car. You can be the toughest, first to catch'em officer on the street with the utmost of professionalism. However, if you're not in the right a**kissing political group, you're toast.

As for fun, heck yeah, it was fun from the end of roll call till signal c. There is ALWAYS something to get into at ANY precinct you're assigned to. Backup, yeah, you'll get it unless you're abusive, then you're on your own. I mean, they'll show up, see you're ok, then disappear like a ghost.

The officer's, those on for five or more, are burnt out on political pressure not to up the numbers on the actual violence occuring in the city. For example, and I don't know if any other city does this, but, if you get an aggravated assault, except the victim is not injured OR doesn't go to the hospital, the LT will amazingly decide that it is a misdemeanor instead of a felony. Guess how many times you'll see the suspect before they actually kill somebody!!??? I mean think about it, with about 1800 officers and a city the size of Memphis, why do you think crime is so high? A lot of the officers have been intimidated into not being proactive. Officers have been fired for doing their jobs and protecting the public, while other officers have broken the law, abused people, stolen things, etc., and not been fired.

Don't get me wrong, if you're a bad see ya gotta go. However, one of the tactics they've used is to fire prominent officers on minor complaints, as punishment. Anyone can get their job back, if you're fired from Memphis, seriously. There've been people fired due to DV, sexual assault/harassment, theft, dui, etc., they were caught MANY times, and still got their jobs back.

Memphis PD is the highest paid agency outside of Nashville. Actually, Collierville, has recently moved up. To me the benefits are good, however, they haven't had a raise in, I believe, two years. There is NO public support, no city council support, and no administrative support.

No, the brass does not back up the officers unless that particular officer kisses the Director's ***, is not female and is not black. That is my opinion from what I saw personally.

The officers back each other up. Although there is a no pursuit policy, when it falls within parameters, IT'S ON! There are a bunch of good men and women who know how to police.

There is a big racial issue. Either blacks against whites or whites against black. Orrrrr, if you don't choose a side, you're still in deep poopoo. Maybe this exist at many dept's, but, coming from the military and then to Memphis was a huge culture shock for me.

My biggest suggestion to you is study your Policy and Procedure, learn your laws about probable cause, know how to articulate how and why you did something and you'll be fine. No harm or disrespect towards some of the LT's, but, the way some of them interpret the law is, umm KWAZY!!!

Oh, no joke, carry a pocket tape recorder for traffic stops or disturbances. It will save your behind in IAB. Without it, you are done!!!! Do not count on other officers to stand behind you on an issue, the mentality, predominantly is each man for his own, unless you are lucky enough to get with a group of seasoned, not so burnt out officers.

I hope this wasn't too negative for you, however, going in with an idea of the climate is your best bet. Keep in mind also, MPD has lowered the standards for new recruits, i.e., people with prior arrests like dui, theft, etc.

MPD has a problem with the basic running of the dept. It will take rehauling the 12th floor (Admin) to effect change and it will take the officers standing up for themselves as they used to. I believe it will happen because I know too many of the officers not to have faith in them.

If this offends or is too much info, maybe I should apologize but, this is what I saw when I was with MPD and what my family and friends still on still experience.
    2Lucky
    Last edited by 2Lucky; 05-23-2007, 11:12 PM. Reason: mis spelling

Comment

I am a current MPD officer and I am looking to leave to a neighboring agency. So let me just say that MPD is great, don't apply anywhere else. That way I won't have any competition. Seriously. MPD sucks. This dept. is worse than the filth on the bottom of your shoe. Everything 2lucky said is still true. Everything is racial, the command staff is stupid and will fire officers if it is politcally to their advantage (don't matter who is right or wrong). If you write a guy a ticket and he complains and lies they punish the officer just in case the guy is telling the truth. Watch your back here. I have had officers from other precincts I did not know come to back me up, find out that the guy I'm fighting is a fellow gang member of theirs and start helping him beat me up, then lie to the brass and say I attacked his buddy for being of a different race and he was just trying to calm things down. He got a pat on the back, I got 10 days off without pay. I DO NOT DO ANY work above what is required of me by law or to help out a fellow officer that I KNOW PERSONALLY. I will get out of L.E. permanently before I stay here. I will flip burgers, drive a truck, whatever I have to to get out, and I only have 15 yrs til retirement. I would not be surprised if they start having us hand out job apps to the people we arrest when we book them in. "Your under arrest, you have now qualified to be a Memphis Police officer, Congratulatons".

Comment

I lost a kidney on that one Memphis Po Po

Originally posted by memphis PO PO View Post
        I am a current MPD officer and I am looking to leave to a neighboring agency. So let me just say that MPD is great, don't apply anywhere else. That way I won't have any competition. Seriously. MPD sucks. This dept. is worse than the filth on the bottom of your shoe. Everything 2lucky said is still true. Everything is racial, the command staff is stupid and will fire officers if it is politcally to their advantage (don't matter who is right or wrong). If you write a guy a ticket and he complains and lies they punish the officer just in case the guy is telling the truth. Watch your back here. I have had officers from other precincts I did not know come to back me up, find out that the guy I'm fighting is a fellow gang member of theirs and start helping him beat me up, then lie to the brass and say I attacked his buddy for being of a different race and he was just trying to calm things down. He got a pat on the back, I got 10 days off without pay. I DO NOT DO ANY work above what is required of me by law or to help out a fellow officer that I KNOW PERSONALLY. I will get out of L.E. permanently before I stay here. I will flip burgers, drive a truck, whatever I have to to get out, and I only have 15 yrs til retirement. I would not be surprised if they start having us hand out job apps to the people we arrest when we book them in. "Your under arrest, you have now qualified to be a Memphis Police officer, Congratulatons".
        You are soooo sadly right about the atmosphere. Although, I will back up anyone, until the scene is safe or I can't get them to stop (the officer).

If you know how to plow political waters, go for it and get your experience and get the H*** out quickly.

MPD used to be a tight knit community, even though there was still the problem of racism. I navigated it well until the tides changed and I didn't "stick with my own". I stuck with those who were work horses and were on the up and up, not a race.

I honestly urge you to go for the training and think short term to move on.
        2Lucky

Comment

Your location says "Alaska." You may want to research the other 49 states and hundreds of other major police departments. We had 6 homicides this Memorial Weekend and 60 homicides so far this year. Good luck.

Comment

To Each His/Her Own

Originally posted by phil 15 View Post
            Your location says "Alaska." You may want to research the other 49 states and hundreds of other major police departments. We had 6 homicides this Memorial Weekend and 60 homicides so far this year. Good luck.

Phil 15, no disrespect intended. Why in the world would you want to be a cop, but, avoid agencies that have a crime problem? Isn't that the whole goal of being a police officer?

I have seen threads where current officers are saying, "no, don't go there, they have a lot of burglaries, or homicides." Why?

To each his/her own. Some cops don't want to deal with that stuff, so they go to a bedroom community agency. Others do. If you don't get the experience, you are a danger to everyone including self. Not directed at you particularly Phil 15, however, to anyone thinking to come into law enforcement and not get their hands dirty.

Has anyone said that here? No, but, your comment, as made by others, causes me to wonder why become a cop if one avoids crime. That may not be what you meant, but, that comment brings that question to mind for me.

Be safe
            2Lucky

Comment

Hey 2Lucky, I didn't mean to disrespect or offend anyone. I only have two words: "Burned Out!" However, that's on me to deal with. I've narrowed myself down to my safety, my fellow Officer's safety, and service to the good citizens of this city. I welcome anyone applicant and encourage them to be the best. But even though I feel burned out, I continually look for solutions rather than B--ch about the problems. As with your previous-detailed post about the PD and politics, you've hit it on the nose.

Comment

WHHHYYYY thank you veery much phil 15. I've burnt out and luckily I was working with a group of guys who kinda looked out for each other. In other words we learned how to keep effectively policing and staying under the radar. We were lucky. You be safe.

2lucky

Comment

I recently parted ways with MPD and moved back to Chicago where im from. I agree with the racial issues. And I was there only 2 years. I did what you all suggested got my training experience, and my academy transfered back to IL. Now im working as a Park Police Officer, cush job with same pay. Worst thing i had yesterday was two kids screwing in a park, how pleasant. I dont miss MPD for a minute, however I was very close with a few guys on my shift, I miss them very much.
                  Who you calling twig pigs? we prefer tree police thank you!

Comment

Oh an memphis POPO I got hired by Bartlett right before I left (turned it down), have fun with $29,000 a year.
                    Who you calling twig pigs? we prefer tree police thank you!

Comment

Well, I guess Bartlett is out if that is the case. Collierville pay is up to the chief so who knows about that. I got an app. so we will see.

Comment

Originally posted by gonzoak View Post
                        I watch The First 48 every week. Great Show!
                        "Would I ever leave this company? Look, I'm all about loyalty. In fact, I feel like part of what I'm being paid for here is my loyalty. But if there were somewhere else that valued loyalty more highly, I'm going wherever they value loyalty the most. " --Dwight K Schrute (The Office)

Comment

I have been glued to the first 48 for the past 2 years.. Makes me not want to go to memphis ever.. lol

Comment

Yeah the film crew was out on one of my crimes scenes last night. That crap is so goofy. they run around with the camera all through the scene getting in the way. they even layed down on their belly beside the body to get a close up face shot (hello blood). then they talk to the detectives 3 or 4 times until they get the response they like. it is very staged.

Comment

Bartlett Dropped Pay

Originally posted by ParkCop 23 View Post
                              Oh an memphis POPO I got hired by Bartlett right before I left (turned it down), have fun with $29,000 a year.
                              Bartlett wanted me to go through the process and I was, but, when I found they dropped the pay to 28,000, two weeks ago, I told them thank you but no.

Collierville seems quite desperate right now for 4 officers. Memphis Po Po, they may want you to start immediately. You may be able to walk in around 40,000. Good Luck.

2Lucky

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5664 users online. 304 members and 5360 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X