300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thp

Does Anyone Know what the written exam consists of ??
    and do you have any tips to prep for it ??

Back couple of years ago when I took it, it was just like general knowledge stuff. Grammar was worst part had **** load of sentences you had to pick out the errors. But I took the computer one, it sucked because the monitor is at like table top you had to keep looking down neck would in pain before you finished.
    Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

Lennox815,

If you've taken any college courses, you'll be fine on the test. What I mean is, if you can analyze and do simple math, piece of cake.

There isn't anything to study, however, if your english isn't good, sentence structure, study basic english on the web. If your math isn't good, i.e., division, multiplication and basic fractions, study.

I'm no brainiac by any means. I say that to say this the hardest part of the test is going to the testing site on testing date and waiting on the instructions to be read aloud, etc., etc.
      I took it and passed it easily. I chose not to follow through because they don't pay enough. Not for someone who is already established in LE, in my opinion. Everyone, experienced or not, starts off at the same pay.

Comment

byates1275
        were you told an 80 wasn't good enough? I know 5 months ago they weren't recruiting like they are now. 80 isn't bad compared to some of the scores I've heard of.

But, good luck. I'm surprised they haven't sent you a package to interview. As much as I was interested in being a trooper, their pay wasn't interested in me. I simply couldn't make it on that pay being a home owner.

Comment

Im with you man.. Being a home owner and having kids means you need a bigger salary to live on.. That is sad that THP pays so little.. But they are having kinda the same problems in Georgia with the GSP..

Comment

What is THP pay ?

Comment

Trooper recruits will be assigned to vacant positions across the state upon graduation. Starting salary is $31,656.00 annually. With regular pay increases, a trooper can earn $47,040 per year after 10 years of service, under the currently pay structure. Recruits are paid while in training.

From a TN State web site.
              Last edited by JSandi; 05-03-2007, 11:45 AM.
              "I neither approve or blame. I merely relate."- Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by 2Lucky View Post
                byates1275
                were you told an 80 wasn't good enough? I know 5 months ago they weren't recruiting like they are now. 80 isn't bad compared to some of the scores I've heard of.

But, good luck. I'm surprised they haven't sent you a package to interview. As much as I was interested in being a trooper, their pay wasn't interested in me. I simply couldn't make it on that pay being a home owner.

Its really not that bad guys.....I could see if you have a bunch of years at another department but you make it sound like Troopers are living in the local trailer park or out of their cars or something....Yeah your not going to live in Brentwood but out here in East TN they make better money than all these other departments.....Although I am not sure of Knoxville PD....And if you got into LE to get rich then I have some ocean front property for ya to spend some of that money on....
                I have talked to a few Troopers in this area and with overtime they are in the mid $40K's....Bottomline is LE in the south doesn't pay good anywhere....
                Last edited by skizer41; 05-03-2007, 11:37 AM.

Comment

skizer41,

I don't agree with you 100%. Naw, working for THP ain't like living in a trailer park. However, I'm a homeowner in Memphis and can't afford to take a pay cut. I've been a civilian cop in Memphis 9 years, so, I'm not in it for the money.

I still believe working for THP would be a good thing for anyone. So, if you took it that I was bashing them, that wasn't what I was doing.

Well, as far as the south paying any good, welllll, some do, it just depends on where you want to move, right?

Comment

Originally posted by skizer41 View Post
                    Its really not that bad guys.....I could see if you have a bunch of years at another department but you make it sound like Troopers are living in the local trailer park or out of their cars or something....Yeah your not going to live in Brentwood but out here in East TN they make better money than all these other departments.....Although I am not sure of Knoxville PD....And if you got into LE to get rich then I have some ocean front property for ya to spend some of that money on....
                    I have talked to a few Troopers in this area and with overtime they are in the mid $40K's....Bottomline is LE in the south doesn't pay good anywhere....
                    Knox PD starts at 29, until u get out of the academy. Then your pay is bumped to $30,000 or so. So, your exactly right, the 31,000 is pretty good for this area. Only Pigeon Forge (that is, if you are a certified officer already) and Rogersville start out more (I think that's the only two here...).

Comment

byates1275,

I wish you Luck, but, you won't need it. You just go in there and take each question one at a time and you'll blow it out of the water.

Comment

If you go on the web page for THP it has the scores and the names of the people who were invited to the interviews. I believe the scores were around 86 and higher. So I would say 80 does not cut it.
                        That's what they do, it's a trailer park.

Comment

Originally posted by JSandi View Post
                          Trooper recruits will be assigned to vacant positions across the state upon graduation. Starting salary is $31,656.00 annually. With regular pay increases, a trooper can earn $47,040 per year after 10 years of service, under the currently pay structure. Recruits are paid while in training.

From a TN State web site.

I know that’s what it says on the website.....But for any of us in the hiring process right now we know that you can't believe everything on the web page...Perfect example: The letter I got in the mail said the academy is 17 weeks, the web page says 18 weeks, but every Trooper I have talked to here said its 16 weeks. Plus one thing you are forgetting JSandi is overtime. IT is my understanding after talking to the Captain in charge of my district, and if there any Troopers on here please correct me, that the $31k is base salary. With overtime you can earn another $10-12k if you’re motivated. I was told the overtime rate is higher than the base rate because overtime is paid for from federal grants. Most of the departments in my area give you comp time rather than overtime. Although I know you get paid overtime in Knoxville.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Lucky View Post
                            skizer41,

I don't agree with you 100%. Naw, working for THP ain't like living in a trailer park. However, I'm a homeowner in Memphis and can't afford to take a pay cut. I've been a civilian cop in Memphis 9 years, so, I'm not in it for the money.

I still believe working for THP would be a good thing for anyone. So, if you took it that I was bashing them, that wasn't what I was doing.

Well, as far as the south paying any good, welllll, some do, it just depends on where you want to move, right?

Naw man I didn't think you were bashing, I hope I didn't come off that way. I just knew that I am also a home owner and most of the officers in my area dream of getting on with THP because of the pay. My understanding is, and I am new to Tennessee only been here a year, THP starting pay is only slightly higher then most departments and slightly lower than others I am sure. The big difference kicks in when you get 5, 10, 15, years down the road and ultimately into retirement. I just finished my internship with my local PD and those guys said that making almost $50k after 10 years in their department is impossible. In fact even the Lt.'s didn't make that most of whom have been there going on 20 years. But you’re right it all depends on what you want. I hope you didn't think I was upset. It’s all good.

Comment

skizer41,

Nope, everything is good. I'm hearing different things about pay and the length of time it takes to make money. But, I guess we won't know until we call their personnel office and ask questions or get a hold of one of them.

I've got to set up an appointment with one in my area due to my job. I'm going to take the time to ask some questions and I'll post their response next week.

I hope all of you find what you're looking for. Nothing like being in a squad car. I'm still not burned out.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2564 users online. 136 members and 2428 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X