300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job Search

I live in West TN. I have applied for every opening I have seen in West and Middle TN. I have not heard a thing. I have just about every department and sheriff's office Facebook page on mine. I keep seeing them post they have hired officer so and so. When I never heard about them hiring. My problem is finding departments hiring. I am willing to move, but would rather not. Any help would be appreciated.

Well, a few things come to mind:

-How old are you?

-What experience to you have?

-What is your education?

-What related training do you have?

-Do you volunteer for any organizations?

-What additional skills do you have have? (i.e. second language, EMT, etc.)

-Have you done ride-alongs for any of the prospective agencies?

Sometimes the local newspaper, or the newspapers website, will offer some clues that may, or may not, be posted on their Facebook site.

For example, do they mention that Officer Xxxxx was an Explorer,Reserve or Community Service Officer/Correctional Officer for Yyyyy Department? That might be a clue that they like to hire folks that they know and have worked with.

Have you visited those areas in person, stopped at the local library, read the local newspaper and had lunch at one of the local restaurants? sometimes you can learn a LOT that way.

Do you still listen to local AM or FM radio. Some places, either during their broadcasts, or on their radio station website, will have a TON of information about what is going on.

Another angle is to do a ride-along with other nearby agencies. For example, are you interested in the sheriff's office? Ride along with a police department in the county. There is a good chance they have some insight into what is going on at the sheriff's office.

Conversely, if you are interested in a specific police department, ride along with the sheriff's office or another nearby police department. You might learn a lot. Some might comment, "Oh, there Chief/Sheriff only hires guys/gals that are military veterans." Or, "That Chief or Sheriff only hires guys/gals that volunteer to be on their police reserves." etc.

Granted, NONE of the above are any guarantee whatsoever, but you will learn some things and maybe some of it will be helpful and give you some guidance.

Comment

• TylerHaley15
      TylerHaley15 commented
      Editing a comment
      - 23 years old, but will be 24 next month.
      - The only experience I have in law enforcement is in corrections. I worked for the state in corrections for 6 months.
      - I have my high school diploma and I have some college credit.
      - As far as training I had to complete TN corrections academy. With certifications in cpr, oc spray, electronic restraint devices. Also training in defensive tactics and firearms.
      - I do not volunteer.
      - Departments around me do not do ride alongs.

Originally posted by TylerHaley15 View Post
    I live in West TN. I have applied for every opening I have seen in West and Middle TN. I have not heard a thing. I have just about every department and sheriff's office Facebook page on mine. I keep seeing them post they have hired officer so and so. When I never heard about them hiring. My problem is finding departments hiring. I am willing to move, but would rather not. Any help would be appreciated.
    While most agencies are required to post their job vacancies publicly, what constitutes "public posting" within the meaning of the law can vary from locality to locality. in my state (and unless specified otherwise by local service rule) "public posting" is complied with if you stick the job announcement on the restricted access employee lunch room bulletin board of the hiring agency in question. If you've already decided who you want to hire, you specify on the job announcement that applications must be delivered in person by the applicant at a specific location, between the hours of 6 AM and 8 AM on one specific date only. This pretty much ensures that "your guy" is the only one that applies.

FWIW, I got my first job in law enforcement by printing up a form letter inquiring about job vacancies and testing, and mailing it to dozens of police departments across the state. The majority responded and many bent over backwards to help someone traveling from afar to test. In one instance, the test was being held on a weekend when a major festival was taking place and every hotel and motel for 50 miles away was booked. The let me sleep in the jail that night to make sure I got a good nights sleep and make it to the test on time.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by TylerHaley15 View Post
      I concur with everything L-1 said. I’m a LEO in Middle Tennessee. What questions do you have? Where specifically are you looking?

Virtus virtuti Caesar
      =================
      “Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, Here am I; send me.”

**Isaiah‬ *6:8‬ *

Comment

• TylerHaley15
        TylerHaley15 commented
        Editing a comment
        I am more less just seeking out advice. I am looking all over west and middle TN area. If you do not mind me asking what department do you work for in Middle TN?

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8245 users online. 460 members and 7785 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X