300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vanderbilt PD

Does anyone know if this is a good dept to start off in i recently submitted a app to them ???

My impression is yes. I have an old college friend who works there, probably has since college (graduated 1984). Know a couple of other guys there and they seem OK.
    But in my day they were referred to as "Barneys", just fyi.

Comment

Well, if your looking to get certified and have an LE job i guess. But you have to remember along with regular LE calls you get alot of campus BS calls. The pay isn't that bad but hopefully it will go up even more. You usually get around 3% raise a year. They are always needing more officers, especially now that they have a redone the shift schedules and coverage precincts.
      Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

thanks for the info i really apreciate it

Comment

fyi...New hires for Vandy are now sent to Metro Nashville's academy with one of MNPD's classes.

Comment

Don't forget, Vandy PD also provides security for the hospitals. I know a former Vandy PD officer who rotated between patrol and being stuck in the ER on a foot post for 8 hours at a time. Not worth it, if you ask me.

Comment

Those guys get alot of DUI arrests down around the West End areas. I see them in DUI court quite a bit. Cool Dodge Chargers.
              I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Yeah i seen the chargers they are bad ***

about how long does there hiring process take

Comment

A few months , take the written test wait for results. They were sending out letters stating that you passed test and that you would be left eligible for a position later on. Making you think they blew you off but thats how they do it. Then they call you for interview usually like 2 or so. Than hired off to academy like 2 weeks later. I would think due to timing of metro's academy they may not actually start new officers until right before then. It doesn't hurt to call and harass them.

Comment

They cover alot more area than just the campus and Hospital, was told during my interview they also patrol the joining neighborhoods (Overland I think) as well as all the surrounding streets.

The Chief also said that you either have a special police commission or are a sworn Metro Officer I can't recall which, but either way you have the same authority as a Metro Officer while on duty in the city of Nashville.

You assist Metro alot in the downtown area, the campus is not far from the Central Station.

I just took their written test today and so far I am very impressed with the department and the interview process, very professional. Everyone is very helpful and informative and the process has flowed just as they have stated it would.

I was told by the Chief during my interview that the average length of the process was 8 to 10 weeks all really hinging on your BI and how quick it comes back and you actually fill it out online at home, pretty neat idea.

Yeah the Chargers look awesome!
                    Last edited by JSandi; 04-21-2007, 06:55 PM.
                    "I neither approve or blame. I merely relate."- Voltaire

Comment

A friend of mine worked there and did not like it. Personally, I would not want to work for a campus police organization. Seems like there will be limits on what you can do in your job, for the simple fact that campuses do not want high crime numbers. Thinks that you would arrest for with a regular law enforcement agency would probably be swept under the rug with a campus agency. I don't have any personal knowledge, just my first impression. Good luck with it, hope you like it.

Comment

Actually, they like to see arrests and numbers, COMPSTATS!, yea they patrol more than just the 233 acres of campus. But you have to remember it is university police. You have do other things than just ride around and wait for calls. Like do area checks of buildings and garages. But there is plenty of crime and traffic to work in that area.

Comment

Originally posted by JDCOP
                          Actually, they like to see arrests and numbers, COMPSTATS!, yea they patrol more than just the 233 acres of campus. But you have to remember it is university police. You have do other things than just ride around and wait for calls. Like do area checks of buildings and garages. But there is plenty of crime and traffic to work in that area.

Well if that is the case, that's good. My friend that was there said that he was way too often called into the Chief's office for writing this student or that student a ticket. And during high gas price times he was only allowed to put a certain number of miles on his car a day.

Comment

How long ago was that, they just got a new chief in January.

Comment

It was before then. Maybe that explains the difference.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5983 users online. 308 members and 5675 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X