300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Important Question? Fla to Tn.

I will be police certfied in the state of Florida within the next couple months, I moved to Tennessee with my girlfriend last year and we moved back to Florida due to finical issues. I've always loved Tennessee and I was just wondering does Tennessee have a cross over type of class for certfied people from another state or do I have to go through the whole academy again?

Also how often does THP hire recruits?

Thanks in advance.

THP has held a class for the past three years but only do one a year usually they post it around August class starts first of the year if you make the cut

Comment

Originally posted by tango1187 View Post
      THP has held a class for the past three years but only do one a year usually they post it around August class starts first of the year if you make the cut

It's tough to get in? Politics?

Comment

Not sure about politics but just as anything if you know ppl in right places Usually your a shoe in. As far as process they have the written test and those selected from it get to come for physical agility test and interview and then of course background psych and medical all this is done within about 4 months or so

Comment

Originally posted by tango1187 View Post
          Not sure about politics but just as anything if you know ppl in right places Usually your a shoe in. As far as process they have the written test and those selected from it get to come for physical agility test and interview and then of course background psych and medical all this is done within about 4 months or so

My father in law works with the district attorney and he said he would help me out if I needed a job. But I appreciate you replying

Comment

This was just on the September 19, 2014 POST Commission Agenda. The minutes are not yet posted so I don't know the outcome.

"Redacted" PD – "Redacted" - Request is made for Officer "Redacated" to attend the September 28, 2014 transition school at TLETA. He completed basic at the St. Johns River State College in St. Augustine, Florida, with a total of 770 hours, on 04-15-2014. He was not employed in Florida. He became full time on 08-01-2014 and the request is to attend the Transition School, in order to obtain POST Certification.

I redacted the names although the information is easy to find and is public record. However, I am not the custodian of the public record so it is not my place to put out names on the forum.
            That's what they do, it's a trailer park.

Comment

Originally posted by AvalancheZ71 View Post
              This was just on the September 19, 2014 POST Commission Agenda. The minutes are not yet posted so I don't know the outcome.

"Redacted" PD – "Redacted" - Request is made for Officer "Redacated" to attend the September 28, 2014 transition school at TLETA. He completed basic at the St. Johns River State College in St. Augustine, Florida, with a total of 770 hours, on 04-15-2014. He was not employed in Florida. He became full time on 08-01-2014 and the request is to attend the Transition School, in order to obtain POST Certification.

I redacted the names although the information is easy to find and is public record. However, I am not the custodian of the public record so it is not my place to put out names on the forum.

If you find out the outcome let me know

Comment

Originally posted by JediWarrior View Post
                If you find out the outcome let me know
                Although the minutes are easily available online with the full names of the officer and the city, I still chose to redact them here. No need in dragging out the record somewhere else. Caution there is dirty laundry in the following snippet of the minutes.

(REDACTED) PD – (NAME REDACTED)l - Request is made for Officer (redacted) to attend the September 28, 2014 transition school at TLETA. He completed basic at the St. Johns River State College in St. Augustine, Florida, with a total of 770 hours, on 04-15-2014. He was not employed in Florida. He became full time on 08-01-2014 and the request is to attend the Transition School, in order to obtain POST
                Certification. Mr. Welch informed the commission that he received a call the prior day stating that Mr. (REDACTED) had been out working alone. Commissioner Jenkins asked if Mr. (REDACTED) was ever certified in Florida or if he just attended school there. Mr. Welch answered that Mr. (REDACTED) just went to school in Florida, but he has two years from date of graduation to become certified. Chairman Chrisman asked if an FDLE certification was contained in the packet. Mr. Welch said he did not believe a FDLE would have been issued unless Mr. (REDACTED) had gone to work full time.

Commissioner Jenkins noted under the guidelines, Mr. (REDACTED) can attend the transition school and moved for approval, seconded by Commissioner Baker. Commissioner Fanion asked if this is something that needs to be investigated beyond the approval of the waiver. Mr. Welch answered that he already has (REDACTED CITY NAME) payroll records. He said he is getting ready to look at the timesheets. (REDACTED) PD is a small department with only three or four people but it is difficult to get the paperwork. Mr. Grisham remarked this is one of the accusations the commission heard in August that prompted them to ask Mr. Welch to get the records in and look at them. Mr. Welch said that Mr. (REDACTED) supposedly started on 8/1/2014 with the department.

Commissioner Wheeler commented that he could not remember where an officer graduated from another state school and never worked anywhere in that state and came to Tennessee to work. Mr. Grisham said there have been some that came out of Walter State or Cleveland State and had been out for two years and then went to transition school. The POST rules allow that. He said this request is equivalent to that.

Chairman Chrisman noted that the precedent would be to allow it, but this still does not address the issue that Mr. (REDACTED) is out working alone every day. Mr. Grisham agreed. He said POST has allowed people to work who have been certified in other states, but since Mr. (REDACTED) has never been certified he should not be working alone. Mr. Welch said that Mr. (REDACTED) basic training is equivalent and there is a letter stating that the curriculum is prescribed by the Florida Department of Criminal Justice. Mr. Grisham said POST needs to take a close look at out-of-state officers. They come in without the EVOC and they cannot be taught driving in one day in a three-week basic class. He added that in the future, if the officers have not had the exact equivalent basic, then they will have to go to driving class and then transition school.

Commissioner Rhoades remarked that he would hate to penalize Mr. (REDACTED) for his administration's failure and that he probably does not even know what is going on.

Chairman Chrisman noted the motion and second are still pending. He asked if it would be appropriate for a letter to be sent to (CITY REDACTED) telling Mr. (REDATED) he cannot be riding alone and will have to be paired with someone until completion of the transition school. Mr. Welch responded that that was explained to the department over the phone on the prior day. Mr. Grisham suggested sending a letter to the city council quoting the statute. He said whoever pays this officer is committing a Class B misdemeanor every time they pay him. Mr. Underwood explained that the mayor is one of the five commissioners and they appoint a city recorder who actually performs all the duties. The mayor wanted to replace the chief, but the other four members ofthe commission overturned that. The city recorder then resigned. Mr. Welch added that when the chief was brought back, the city manager resigned, the city attorney resigned, the city recorder was let go. The district attorney refuses to prosecute any cases that the chief is involved in.

Chairman Chrisman repeated the motion is to allow Mr. (REDACTED) to attend the transition school. Commissioner Williamson asked if the motion could be amended to add sending a letter to (REDACTED CITY) reminding the city commission that Mr. (REDACTED) cannot be riding alone and must be paired with another officer. Commissioner Wheeler suggested that the officer be copied on the letter in case he does not receive word from the city commission.

Commissioner Jenkins so amended his motion to include the letter being sent, seconded by Commissioner Baker.

Commissioner Wilson asked if the letter would contain the language about committing a misdemeanor if they did not comply. Mr. Welch said that is the failure to comply rule and it will be in the letter.

There being no further discussion, the motion carried.
                Last edited by AvalancheZ71; 10-14-2014, 05:10 PM.
                That's what they do, it's a trailer park.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3914 users online. 230 members and 3684 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X